Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Considering "Heaven"

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

mickrock wrote: »
    If consciousness is just a product of matter then an afterlife is implausible.

But it's plausible that consciousness is not just a product of matter.

Matter is based on probability, the universe is mostly energy with the potential for matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

nagirrac wrote: »

Is that right.
    Being religious is following a specific religious code e.g. Roman Catholic, Muslim, whatever. I grew up in rural Ireland, stopped going to mass at 14 and haven't been back since unless for funerals (out of respect for the families involved).
    I am an agnostic who leans towards a "Spinoza" view of the universe but a bit more spiritual in my view of God. I also believe spirituality is a personal issue and should not be organized. You obviously have a very narrow view of the range of beliefs people have, its not just atheists and religious out there.
    I'd be the first one out there to recognise that there are plenty of shades of dull grey instead of just black or white. However, even if you are "sticking it to da man" by rejecting organised religion, you're still just replacing crosses with auras, holy spirits with spirits, prayers with healing crystals.
    Just because you have your own brand, doesn't make you any different to a practising catholic believing their type of makeyuppy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

smokingman wrote: »
    I'd be the first one out there to recognise that there are plenty of shades of dull grey instead of just black or white. However, even if you are "sticking it to da man" by rejecting organised religion, you're still just replacing crosses with auras, holy spirits with spirits, prayers with healing crystals.
    Just because you have your own brand, doesn't make you any different to a practising catholic believing their type of makeyuppy.

You seem very keen on telling me who I am and what I believe in. I could very easily indulge in the same. You exhibit all the traits of a dogmatic materialistic-reductionist atheist which to me is as daft a position as a creationist. In the grand scheme of things we still have an incomplete picture of the nature of reality so to decide there is nothing other than the 4 dimensional space we are aware of is to me closedminded. There are many observed effects in nature that do not fit with a standard materialistic worldview. I am confident in time science will understand and explain them but only if science is openminded enough to study them.

I have no interest in healing crystals by the way but I have replaced prayer by meditation which if you are unaware of the benefits of I can't help you.

Advertisement