Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Bryan Singer)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭BearBanjer

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    The lack of Wolverine actually helped the last film in my view, as the he featured too heavily in the others and along with his own features there is a bit of Wolverine fatigue now.
    I was hoping for a decent take on Gambit.

Would've loved to have seen him and Nightcrawler, but looks to be a lot going on in this movie so I doubt they'd have gotten a proper introduction this time around. Hopefully next time.

Nightcrawler was the best thing about X2 I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Would've loved to have seen him and Nightcrawler, but looks to be a lot going on in this movie so I doubt they'd have gotten a proper introduction this time around. Hopefully next time.

Nightcrawler was the best thing about X2 I thought.

or they could develop Colossus more in this. or Angel, ya know some of the major xmen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Would love to see a decent bit of Colossus. Was raging in X2 & X3 how little he was used.... was he even in X3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

he was one of the only x men in the final battle no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

he was one of the only x men in the final battle no?

Yeah, he was the one that threw Wolverine at Magneto. Woefully underused though. Where was the Colossus Juggernaut fight? It seemed so obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Reviews coming out sound good.

Also. Lots of people claiming Quicksilver is a highpoint of the movie ?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

The exclusion of Cyclops is one of the things that most annoys me about this.

Wouldn't rule out an appearance just yet. Sure it's time travel brah. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Reviews coming out sound good.

Also. Lots of people claiming Quicksilver is a highpoint of the movie ?!

That could easily be damning with extremely faint praise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Wouldn't rule out an appearance just yet. Sure it's time travel brah. :P

Nah, James Marsden has confirmed that he wasn't asked to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Have to say i agree with you.

Generation X was a cool tv movie for its day.

it was a comic which was actually good and the x men got trapped somewhere they this new team took over..
    OwaynOTT wrote: »
    The lack of Wolverine actually helped the last film in my view, as the he featured too heavily in the others and along with his own features there is a bit of Wolverine fatigue now.
    I was hoping for a decent take on Gambit.

• Advertisement

I thought he was spotted on set at one point.

must have been a big deal to break a contract and leave the film...oh look only his goggles are left.

Cyclops also got poorly treated in the films, he's a character they seemed to just screw over at every opportunity and paint Wolverine as some bad ass and Cyclops as a snivelling coward. Would love to see him get his own film as he was always the most interesting character on the team, he was leading a team of kids and had huge responsibility and was constantly in fear of them dieing and his lack of bloodlust was seen by most as a failure.

Marsden seems to be the go to guy for any role where a make character has to be repeatedly messed over. Even in Superman Returns, a film where he adopted Superman's son and took care of Lois Lane, they made him out to be a douche. The guy just can't win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

From a couple of interviews, it seems that Apocolypse could deal with the formation of the X-men to the state they were in at the first movie. (well more or less) . Recent interview here (no spoilers from DOFP, just some quick reviews in tweet form)
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=99626

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭abbir

I don't know why they have to keep going for Wolverine. He's a great character, but he's had two of his own films and ended up being the hero of each film in the original trilogy. There are so many great characters in the X-Men universe, why not let one of them take more of a centre stage? Mix it up a bit. I really enjoyed First Class and, in my opinion, the fact Wolverine wasn't in it (well besides the cameo) made it a better film. Also, stop treating Cyclops like rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Cyclops also got poorly treated in the films, he's a character they seemed to just screw over at every opportunity and paint Wolverine as some bad ass and Cyclops as a snivelling coward. Would love to see him get his own film as he was always the most interesting character on the team, he was leading a team of kids and had huge responsibility and was constantly in fear of them dieing and his lack of bloodlust was seen by most as a failure.

Marsden seems to be the go to guy for any role where a make character has to be repeatedly messed over. Even in Superman Returns, a film where he adopted Superman's son and took care of Lois Lane, they made him out to be a douche. The guy just can't win.

Which is even more annoying because he comes across as a really nice guy in his roles and interviews. I think, given the right script, he'd be a fantastic Cyclops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Chris Nolan said that Marion Cotillard wasn't Talia Al Ghul.

Zack Snyder said that Zod wasn't going to be the villain in MOS.

Just saying. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Channing Tatum Confirmed As Gambit In ‘X-Men’ Spinoff Movie

I wonder will he be introduced in closing titles or X-Men: Apocalypse

Variety

I would say he will be in apocalypse....big time

but I am not going to spoil it for you.

Channing Tatum Confirmed As Gambit In ‘X-Men’ Spinoff Movie

I wonder will he be introduced in closing titles or X-Men: Apocalypse

Variety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Is this not available in IMAX 3D anywhere? I notice in Cineworld it's only 3D/2D, no IMAX

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Is this not available in IMAX 3D anywhere? I notice in Cineworld it's only 3D/2D, no IMAX

I'd say that XMEN willl likely get the bump up on Friday, Godzilla is listed up to the 22nd on the Imax screen in Cineworld, but doesn't look like anything can be booked in IMAX for after the 22nd.

Might be they haven't decided for next week yet or perhaps it is due to a limitation in their booking software.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mark13

Just back from seeing this, it's absolutely fantastic..walked out genuinely shocked at how good it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭nix

It was better than the first xmen, as in the other one with young magneto/xavier and the gang, i thought the first one was a bit crappy towards the end after Kevin Bacons character
    meets his demise

Character reference spoiler maybe, he could have been in trailer idk but ..
    quicksilver
    being the highlight in my opinion.

Its not amazing though, ill post further thoughts after its been released a few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Good review from John Kelleher on Newstalk Breakfast the morning, he said it wasn't really his type of movie but it was very, very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Just read review on RTE app and the guy slated it. Doesn't seem to have a clue about X-men, shouldn't be a allowed review films. "Hairy man this and painted woman that" (paraphrasing).

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Just read review on RTE app and the guy slated it. Doesn't seem to have a clue about X-men, shouldn't be a allowed review films. "Hairy man this and painted woman that" (paraphrasing).

Spoiler alert FFS! I'd no idea HairyMan and PaintedWoman were in this :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Bacchus wrote: »
    Spoiler alert FFS! I'd no idea HairyMan and PaintedWoman were in this :mad:

Haven't watched any trailers then I take it? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

is there any godawful post credit scenes? There wasn't in the first one was there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I hear there is one.

First class didn't have one, but Wolverine and Origins did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

is there any godawful post credit scenes? There wasn't in the first one was there?

There is one.

I'm not a fan of the X-Men series and I wasn't much of a fan of this. Having said that, it's probably the second best in the series after X-Men II, slightly above First Class.

• Advertisement

As good as the best xmen stuff so far. Was worried about Wolverine being front and centre again after the last film being better for his absence but I thought it was his best protrayel of the character yet.
    Fasbender as magneto is excellent, a truly calculating bastard.
    Nice nods as well to the past stuff and the xmen lore but nothing to in your face. Humour is continued on from first class.
    Any fan of xmen should love it and I reckon others should enjoy it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

just back from it myself.

i thought it was very good. theres at least 3 "moments in it for me that had emotional punch, it ties in very well to all previous films (without ya having to actually need to see em) and how it all resolves in the end had me feeling VERY happy.

its essentially a reboot for the franchise, but it works so well that its actually one of the good points about it. i wont spoil anything but it was nice to see certain characters come back.

about the only thing i didnt like , and its being picky, is the music. its far more X 1 and 2 than first class. which is a pity as i think first class nailed it on the score front (particularly magenetos theme, which wouldve been bloody great in this)

still its fun, visually brilliantly inventive at times. the scenes with blink alone make repeat viewing a joy IMO, and quicksilver - whom i was afraid would be ridiculous- was probably one of the most fun sequences in the whole film ! the outfit still looks dumb, but so does everyone else in the 70s so he fits right in :D

im still processing this so cant really give it a proper score, but im definetly going again with the brother so i reckon that alone is a 8/10 for me.

seen it in 2d so havent a clue what the 3d does to this.

oh and the IS an after credits scene for the NEXT X film so its worth sticking about for that if ya fancy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Fcuking fantastic, epic if you will!!! :)

Best XMen yet by far, will go again, and probably again :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Quite enjoyed this. It brings a lot of the ideas and characters of the series together in a fun and satisfying way. Fun is a key word here - there's a sense of playfulness to the drama and action that keeps things ticking along and removed from its own arse.

I've gathered Quicksilver has attracted a lot of ire online among the 'enthusiast' set, but honestly his appearance here is a highlight due to a fantastic setpiece that marries cool SFX with a great sense of humour and style.
    Alas, the film runs into that problem of creating a hero that's actually too powerful, and unconvincingly sidelines him for the rest of the film. But hey, at least that one sequence was worth it.
    Most of the characters are well handled even though the film by its very nature only finds mere seconds of screentime for a few of them. Thankfully Dinklage is an antagonist with a difference too.

Still wouldn't consider Singer much of a distinctive director, but at least he adds a few clever touches throughout. Frequently including Super-8 cutaways adds to the era-building in a more subtle and effective way than the more explicit 70s referencing (the JFK gags fall rather flat, for example). The final action scene also really benefits from some clever match and jump cutting, which elegantly links two scenes that run the risk of feeling only loosely connected to each other. Also the freedom of the concept's time traveling shenanigans means that Singer has fun
    dispatching key X-Men several times over
    , adding a particular edge to the action scenes (the copious portals also help). For a film with barely a single drop of blood, it's delightfully graphic in its cartoon way.

It's still all nonsense, naturally, but taken as the nonsense that it is it's good fun. A few aspects let it down a tad. A lot of the actual dialogue feels flat making some stretches more of a chore than they should be, and there's a few 'exposition bombs' that could surely have been handled better. It doesn't help that it becomes obvious within minutes of the film starting what the 'present' climax is going to be, so there's a bit of wheel-spinning as we saunter towards the inevitable. While there's some playfulness with time travel, I think the concept could have been pushed significantly further, especially since a mid-film turning point teases some 'fun with paradoxes!' that ultimately doesn't amount to a whole lot. And yes, don't expect any of it to make a lick of sense - this isn't Primer, and hell it isn't even Back to the Future.

Solid blockbuster fare, and an extra point for
    retconning the **** out of The Last Stand for future films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Ronanc1

about the only thing i didnt like , and its being picky, is the music. its far more X 1 and 2 than first class. which is a pity as i think first class nailed it on the score front (particularly magenetos theme, which wouldve been bloody great in this)

im still processing this so cant really give it a proper score, but im definetly going again with the brother so i reckon that alone is a 8/10 for me.

You actually summed up everything that went through my head, I got to see it there on Tuesday at the premier and while everyone asked me over the proceeding days "how was it?" all I could say was "very good but I still need to process it abit" :P You Nailed it regards the music it was the one thing that kept niggling at me until I figured it. The score from first class was brilliant and I loved Magnetos theme I thought it really reinforced his emotional scenes throughout, but this was really lacking pretty much any note worthy theme or continuous piece.

I really liked that they used the X-men theme from 1&2, its great but it was only used for the opening and credits. But just like when I think of those films I can't actually recall any obvious pieces, the score was the same in this, its was grand but it was just a tad pedestrian and formulaic the kind of serviceable score you here in any number of competent action films. If there was some theme running throughout like in first class it would have nailed it completely.

That said its an excellent film and any X-men fans and will love it! one of the best bits that stole the show and conversely DID have an excellent bit of music behind it was quicksilvers scene :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Never never saw Xmen, but really enjoyed this movie. Favourite bit, Bunny Carr's Quicksilver!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

mark13 wrote: »
    Just back from seeing this, it's absolutely fantastic..walked out genuinely shocked at how good it was.

Like this?

tumblr_m2lf8j8SSA1r293o8.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭simonmln

I went and thought it was really excellent!

My ride didn't like it and wouldn't hang about for the scene at the end. Can anyone summarize it for me?

Is it me or was the whole movie just one big F*CK YOU to Brett Ratner?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Is it me or was the whole movie just one big F*CK YOU to Brett Ratner?

I'd argue it's more of a **** you to whoever wrote last stand rather then the person who directed it. Ratner strikes me as a director for hire not some auteur who can be held accountable for all the films creative faults. Maybe I'm wrong tho Idk.

I'd argue it's more of a **** you to whoever wrote last stand rather then the person who directed it. Ratner strikes me as a director for hire not some auteur who can be held accountable for all the films creative faults. Maybe I'm wrong tho Idk.

You're probably right. I only singled him out as he directed it, but it's true - whoever wrote it.

• Advertisement

Was Singer not involved in it and the bloke who directed Last Stand as well? I think the script for Last Stand went through numerous rewrites, so no one person can be held accountable.
    Anyway, we've all forgotten it now, thanks to Wolverine and co.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

simonmln wrote: »
    I went and thought it was really excellent!

My ride didn't like it and wouldn't hang about for the scene at the end. Can anyone summarize it for me?

was not worth the wait . think it is to do with apocolypse. hate that story line in the cartoon.

Hmmm, wife is at the 1D concert. Gate Cinema showing this at 17:45. Could be a nice post work plan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Does this movie mean that the abomination that was Deadpool doesn't exist? Giving them a chance to do him properly..

Walking home from this. Very enjoyable film. About as good an X-men as one could hope for. The future scenes endulged the more bizarre in glorious fashion while the past kept things a bit more grounded and had a nice blend of humour.

Quicksilver was great, particularly THAT scene (and the little "father son" moment) but Blink was the highlight for me, throwing around portals to amazing effect.

The sentinals were a great adversary. You did feel the threat posed.

All in all. Very entertaining. Left me wanting more too.

There's a very brief post credit scene btw. There's not much to it really but it's obvious what the next sequel will be about. The big question is...
    What time will it be set in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Great movie. Saw it in 2D earlier. A must see in the cinema.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have to laugh how so many of the reviews, both here and elsewhere, namecheck Quicksilver as one of the film's bigger positives. Such a contrast to the build-up where there was almost equal amounts of derision and scorn poured on the character. :)

pixelburp wrote: »
    I have to laugh how so many of the reviews, both here and elsewhere, namecheck Quicksilver as one of the film's bigger positives. Such a contrast to the build-up where there was almost equal amounts of derision and scorn poured on the character. :)

I think it's self perpetuating at this point. He was an interesting character though and that scene was great fun to watch. No idea how they managed to market him so bad in the build up. Blink's scenes were far more impressive IMO. That combo with Colossus was a stand out moment.

Having had a bit of time to digest it all now, the future stuff was sooo good. They could go (and did go) anywhere with it. It was OTT comic book glory with mutants powering up, going toe to toe against a greater foe as the clock ticked down. And Storm finally (on the 4th attempt) kicked some ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

it did kinda bug me in the battlescenes in the future though that they didnt mix and match attacks against the sentinels to counteract their adaptive powers.

i.e a sentinel fighting sunfire for instance who supercools itself would be vunerable from a suckerpunch from colosus to shatter it etc.

ok i know it only delays the inevitable but still they were meant to be fighting em ages by this stage.

only thing i can think of is maybe the lack of a cyclops meant they werent as effective as they should be as a unit.

that said i do like the fact that the past and future events were played "concurrently" . makes a nice change from someone going into the past and that being the end of what ya see in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

it did kinda bug me in the battlescenes in the future though that they didnt mix and match attacks against the sentinels to counteract their adaptive powers.

i.e a sentinel fighting sunfire for instance who supercools itself would be vunerable from a suckerpunch from colosus to shatter it etc.

ok i know it only delays the inevitable but still they were meant to be fighting em ages by this stage.

only thing i can think of is maybe the lack of a cyclops meant they werent as effective as they should be as a unit.

that said i do like the fact that the past and future events were played "concurrently" . makes a nice change from someone going into the past and that being the end of what ya see in the future.

There was a few mix and match scenes in there, as above the collosus one is a highlight, that was brilliant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement