Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ques on Planet Gym in Blackpool

Options
  • 25-10-2012 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hey guys....

Just a quick question for anyone who is a member or goes to the Planet gym in Blackpool.

Im looking to join a gym for a few months and had heard good things about Planet. I work until 6pm weekdays and used to be a member in the Mardyke but that was a nightmare during the week...way too busy with too few weight benches and machines..and basically people taking the piss with hogging the stuff...so have had enough of there (even it is most convenient location).

So does anyone know if the Planet gets overcrowded in evenings?? Or does it have enough benches/free weights that you wont be standing around? Its decent price and includes classes so favouring that over Leisureworld..

I work in Bcollig but live near Dublin Hill...can only think of Clarion or Dennehys as another alternative.

Any feedback be appreciated...cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I used be a member for a few years. Generally there is no issue with waiting for machines as there are plenty of all. AFAIK since I stopped my membership they have expanded their free weights area as well.

I would recommend the place alright, but I have heard it has gotten kind of shabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

Thanks...just want to get in and get workout done and home....not spending half hour watching people workout like in Mardyke

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

gimmick wrote: »
    I would recommend the place alright, but I have heard it has gotten kind of shabby.

Yup, was a member till last year so some of this may have changed since but:

The grips on the assisted pull up machine are torn/gone, the additional mats are thin manky things and very few of the lockers in the changing room actually lock (you have to memorise which ones work).

Also the squat rack is a very cheap one and is falling to bits, it now has a screw/nut combo holding the barbell-rests in place as the sliding ones are ruined. Deadlifts seem to frowned upon due to the strict 'no dropping weights rule'.

The music is sometimes way too loud (especially in the weights area) and I remember the same crappy euro dance tracks would loop every 40mins or so. This is despite the fact that a lot of the patrons are wearing earphones (which you have to have ear-damagingly loud to drown out the speakers) and I don't think if you asked any of the usually 30 year old+ clientele what they wanted to listen to 'ridiculously repetitive dance music' would be their answer, general pop/chart music would be more varied/less grating.

Anyway back to your original question, I generally found it OK for queues, you occasionally won't get the machine/dumbbells that you want but that's the case everywhere after 6pm. Could you get there before work? I think they now open 6.30am/7.00am.

Advertisement