Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck between a rock and a mentally hard place

• 25-10-2012 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi All
    I would welcome any support and advice ! Especially from anyone in the Career Guidance area!

Andy here, I'm 38 and went to DIT in '92 at 18 but dropped out after the 1st year. Building related! Many reasons conspired at that time for my decision to QUIT.

Now at 38 with my wife and two beautiful daughters 7 and 2 I find myself trying to make amends / get myself back onto the right career path.
    I'm currently in a €400 a week ( Benefits are 5mins from home and school. But the money is not enough to survive on.

I need to re-skill and change career direction in order to better myself and also give 'me' an opportunity to have better earning potential
    for my kids. I grew up in a block of flats not a stones throw for GCD. I am very familiar with the barracks as I played in the grounds before GCD took it over form the Defense forces.

!A LOVE FOR COMPUTERS AND DESIGN! Way back in the 80's I had a love for computers. I spent my Saturdays in Eason's looking for games for my ZX spectrum. I also had a natural creative streak thrown in there for good measure too.
    Yet I managed not to make the right choices at different times in my life instead spending many years involved in the voluntary and community sector
    giving my time to help others. Not a bad thing I hear ye say but a thing that possibly hampered my own career potential.

I'm now stuck between a rock and a mentally hard place at this moment in time. I actually had the pleasure of meeting Dermot Hegarty a number of times over the years wearing my many different hats. Such a sound man given what he's achieved with GCD.

My fear is money related. Going back to college may affect my finacial circumstances. Am i being short sighted. Things are so tight at the present with finances it has become my sticking point of me moving forward.

I know there are many great lecturers in GCD as I have read many blogs.

Your two pence worth would be so appreciated right now

A:confused:

Comments

Advertisement