Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Analogue still alive and well in NW donegal (deflector)

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

If it wont detect them automatically (it should) do a manual scan on the frequencies you require, bypass the automatic scan.
    If you want Limavady, scan channels 49,50,54,55,58 and 59, although 55 is HD DVB-T2, so maybe forget that one.
    Strabane is 39,42 and 45 (one of those is DVB-T2 as well)
    Don't know which part of Donegal your'e in, so I dont know which RTE transmitter / channel number you want.
    Holywell Hill is 30,
    Letterkenny is 53,
    Stranorlar is 47.
    You will have to scan in each channel individually.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 oldperson

I tried a manual scan after my post to this forum and found that there was a reaction on Channels 47 and 53 but I don't know how to then pick up and store the individual channels - the Alba instruction booklet did not help me much!

I'm in the Gaoth Dobhair area.

Depending on what part of Gweedore you are in, try 47 (Aranmore) or 22 (Magheroarty) for Saorview. An automatic scan should have worked.
    You are unlikely to get Freeview out there, but you can try.
    Incidentally, I tried an Alba box bought by a friend, it got nothing, at all.
    Plugged a Logitech Saorview tv into the same aerial point in her house, everything, Saorview and Freeview, perfect reception.
    Suggests the Alba box is rubbish. She took it back and exchanged for another Alba box- same result, nothing, so I would get my money back if I were you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

I'm an installer which covers gaoth dobhair, I can guarantee, you will not receive any Freeview channels here, this is due to all the mountains in the way, The only way to get UK channels in that area now is through FTA satellite, Mulladuff is still transmitting analogue but will be turned off shortly.

your box is reacting to 53 and 47 as is the norm here as 47 is saorview Arrain Mhor and 53 is truskmore for sligo, you would of had a truskmore aerial for TV3. you wont get 22 (Magheroarty) again due to hills/mountains.

The alba box is a decent box, its a vestel based box like most saorview boxed

Must have come upon two duff boxes then. I have a Metronic (Vestel too) FreeviewHD box for the past year, and it is troublesome at times, but not on reception issues.
    I supose a factory can't churn out 100% reliable product.

Thanks for the replies.

My Alba box does not pick up any Freeview channels (I've tried both automatic and manual scans) but I've had it for a couple of months so I can't see that I can take it back to Argos as it does pick up (only) the Saorview channels. I had been hoping that the Alba box would pick up Freeview after the main analogue service was turned off and the Freeview signal strength boosted but it hasn't.

We are in line of sight to Aranmore and on a hill but it doesn't help re Freeview! We have mountains/hills on 3 sides and are only open on the side towards Aranmore.

Are any of the Saorview boxes likely to be any more successful than the Alba box?

The current analogue service is appreciated; it's a real pity that it's to be turned off.

No chance of Freeview there. You need a satellite box and dish to get the UK channels.

oldperson wrote: »

Are any of the Saorview boxes likely to be any more successful than the Alba box?

The current analogue service is appreciated; it's a real pity that it's to be turned off.

No you will not pick up freeview with any box, its not possible unless you have a pole that can reach above errigal :-) .

The analogue deflector service is no longer needed, FTA will give you much better picture and many more channels, just give your local installer a ring,:-)

We were quite happy with that tv being able to pick up the 4 RTE and the 4 main UK channels. Now we have all the Saorview channels and have, temporarily, 4 surprisingly good quality UK channels and would be quite happy with those.

We have an old SKY box and a dish but would need a new lnb and to fit quite a bit of satellite cable to have FTA to that tv but we'll do nothing meantime.

Originally the Saorview.ie people thought we might pick up some Freeview channels but it looks like the geography is against us. Thanks for the replies; at least we now know that there is no point in trying to get any Freeview channels via an aerial

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

was in Castlebar last week and can confirm the deflector there is /was still carrying the UK channels (but no TV3)

Wonder what will happen after tonight ?

(suspect it will remain on for at least a couple of days)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

No surprise TV3 is gone. Apart from the fact that TV3 is now available all over Castlebar on Saorview, it's no longer available from Truskmore either.

I'd imagine they'll keep going, can't see Comreg shutting them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

They are illegal from Midnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Illegal or not never seemed to concern most operators in the past.

Money will run out for the ESB bills eventually, regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's a problem that we pass laws and don't enforce them. Either don't pass or Enforce. Loads of unenforced or non-enforceable law is a social cancer.

Most have closed due to the better quality and wider choice Freesat being available.

Any still on the air ?

• Advertisement

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Any still on the air ?

Mullaghaduff in NW Donegal is still active, but patchy c4 is regularly swapped with C5, but still going, don't know how long they will keep going, usage must be very low now.

Castlebar still has a "service now ceased" message on Ch 42. All other channels (39 47 53 56) have either blank carriers or noise

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Tax The Farmers

is Mullaghaduff (or any others) still around and if notwhen did they stop ?

The possibility of DTT deflectors was raised in a ODTR (COMREG) consultants report back in 1998 but nothing ever came of it (unfortunate given the failure of commercial DTT)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We don’t drag up old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement