Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

I agree it's tough either way
    but even if it takes me 10 years (sounds a bit crazy I know) ..I shall become a doctor because I can't imagine myself doing anything else :)
    I am also considering med schools outside of Ireland let's see what happens :D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gabsy

Agree with everyone here :) there's just no easy way into this ... And are ye all doing prep courses ? :) I find section 1 really difficult :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LydiaCatherine

Anyone here repeating the hpat this year? I'm absolutely dreading going through it all again, just have to convince myself this year will be better. Going to do what everyone else recommends and do a m**entry course. We'll get it this year guys!

Anyone here repeating the hpat this year? I'm absolutely dreading going through it all again, just have to convince myself this year will be better. Going to do what everyone else recommends and do a m**entry course. We'll get it this year guys!
    Hey if you don't mind me asking , are you repeating the leaving cert too ? :)

gabsy wrote: »
    Hey if you don't mind me asking , are you repeating the leaving cert too ? :)

No, I'm in UCD doing Biomed. I was lucky I had a decent enough leaving cert! Haha, are you?

• Advertisement

No, I'm in UCD doing Biomed. I was lucky I had a decent enough leaving cert! Haha, are you?

Nope I'm not :) first time for both :)
    Biomed more than likely be my second choice and ill just repeat the hpat ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

Do you not have to repeat your HPAT and Leaving cert in the same year, with the new changes?

gabsy wrote: »
    Nope I'm not :) first time for both :)
    Biomed more than likely be my second choice and ill just repeat the hpat ! :)

Ahh. Yeah, the majority of people in my course are re-applying for medicine next year too :P

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    Do you not have to repeat your HPAT and Leaving cert in the same year, with the new changes?

No. You just have to do the hpat in the year you're applying for medicine, they won't take your last years attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

I dislike how almost every course is 4 years in Ireland whereas biomed in the UK is only 3 :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Blue_Shoes

So how many hours are you guys spending/planning on spending per week on the HPAT?
    (I know it's early days still!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 antel0pe

Anyone want to join a M*edentry group or if you already have one can you PM please?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

Only doing a practice HPAT exam every 2nd week. Really dont see the point in putting in like 10 hours a week. I really think its all about getting used to the exam, the timing and the types of questions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

antel0pe wrote: »
    Anyone want to join a M*edentry group or if you already have one can you PM please?

Post in this thread - loads of this sort of post there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 josephine expi

Hi,
    I'm new here but I really want to know everything about the hpat. I have read a few msgs about ppl repeating their L.Cert or Hpat. I never even knew that was possible. I thought to do medicine it had to be in the same one sitting of the leaving. also I was wondering is the hpat courses are really worth it. frankly they cost a lot and i'm not sure if I'll help or not. I recently received a talk from an acer representative and she advised that all the prep courses only help with ne thing, time management. i'm pretty sure I can master my time management if I put in the effort. I hv to do it 4 the leaving anyway. so are they really worth it?? I got some practice question and I find sect 1 really hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hi,
    I thought to do medicine it had to be in the same one sitting of the leaving.
    It does, points must be drawn from the one sitting of the Leaving, and unlike most other courses, you must meet matriculation and course requirements in the same year as you are counting for points (in other words, you can't satisfy requirements such as Maths, English, etc. in one year, drop those subjects, and count your points from the following year).

As of this year, your HPAT score must be from the same year as well.

However, that doesn't stop you repeating the LC, i.e. it doesn't mean you can only sit the LC once.
    Hi,
    I was wondering is the hpat courses are really worth it. frankly they cost a lot and i'm not sure if I'll help or not. I recently received a talk from an acer representative and she advised that all the prep courses only help with ne thing, time management.
    You will find varied opinions on that one, I suspect.

Some swear by them, others have done them and not been impressed, still others haven't done them and achieved very high scores in the HPAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tosic

@josephine expi

http://www.iua.ie/changes-to-hpat-ireland-for-entry-to-under-graduate-medical-courses-2/ This details the changes for this year. One of the important ones is the change of weighting of Section 3 which I think is the area people who did the courses seemed to improve/do well in the most. For section 1 I found that a lot of it had to do with the phrasing of the questions moreso than anything else, where unless you knew the specific meaning of certain words(practically most of the dictionary definition*) it could be
    hard to know what exactly the want you reply.

In my opinion the ******** course was really helpful, but mainly for section 1 and 3(especially 3, but as you see abovein the link, this section is know worth less in comparison to the other two, so maybe the course wouldn't be as worthwhile). Section one they teach you tricks to look out for. I think time management is something it helps with, and also I found the practice tests online calmed me. However, I do know quite a few people on my course who didn't seem to do a Hpat prep course and are now studying medicine, so it's not requisite for good marks(but it does help).

One last thing, I wouldn't trust the acer representative myself as they have spent much of their time saying you can't study for the hpat but have yet to put forward a credible theory as to why people who repeat the hpat seem to improve quite dramatically. It's funny that they then decide to implement changes that seem to admit that you can study for it.

That's my opinion. If you want to know if the courses are helpful, the best person to ask would be someone who did the hpat the first time around without a course, and then repeated it the next year after doing one of the courses and see what they think(better yet, ask a few of them to get a better idea. That's all I can think of for now, but I might think of something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭waiting4

hey i did the hpat last year (twice in total) and am now studying med, pm me if you have any questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hopefull95

Hi there , just wondering how long it takes to be a "doctor of medicine" after your 5/6 yr medicine degree? I am aware of a two or three year internship that must be completed before submitting your application, but I cant seem to find solid information on what happens after that ? Id be very gratefull for any help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

hopefull95 wrote: »
    Hi there , just wondering how long it takes to be a "doctor of medicine" after your 5/6 yr medicine degree? I am aware of a two or three year internship that must be completed before submitting your application, but I cant seem to find solid information on what happens after that ? Id be very gratefull for any help :)

You have to do one year of internship to register with the Irish Medical Council.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/Jobs/Job_Search/Medical_Dental/nchd/Interns/

• Advertisement

0mega wrote: »
    You have to do one year of internship to register with the Irish Medical Council.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/Jobs/Job_Search/Medical_Dental/nchd/Interns/

So therefore am I right in saying that after your 5/6 year medicine undergraduate degree, there is just one year internship before your a qualified medical doctor? I feel as though I am missing a step, is it really just a duration of 7 years?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭iwasonbwh

So therefore am I right in saying that after your 5/6 year medicine undergraduate degree, there is just one year internship before your a qualified medical doctor? I feel as though I am missing a step, is it really just a duration of 7 years?:confused:

That's your undergraduate, after that you will work as an SHO and registrar for up to 10 years, possibly more before becoming a consultant or GP etc.

Oh I see, youd get over the duration of the training period as long as you were on a decent salary. Anyone have any idea what the salary is for an intern or SHO?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭iwasonbwh

Oh I see, youd get over the duration of the training period as long as you were on a decent salary. Anyone have any idea what the salary is for an intern or SHO?

Page 7 and 8 there have a summary, the consultant payscales are further down. My advice is that the money isn't fantastic for the work that you put in, so be sure that you want to put the work in :)

http://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/Benefits_Services/pay/July%202013.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

basic is like 30k for an intern which is really nothing for the amount of work they do they sometimes go for 24 hours straight as its really the interns that do most of the jobs around the hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jtaylol

Hey all, lc repeater here. Decent hpat last year (183) but only 500 in the leaving. Am doing a med***** course, just the online one, and hoping to get into NUIG this year! Any others in the same boat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

ahmdoda wrote: »
    basic is like 30k for an intern which is really nothing for the amount of work they do they sometimes go for 24 hours straight as its really the interns that do most of the jobs around the hospital

Up to 36 hours more like!

Hey doctors to be :) I have mE got and all but I just can't find any time to do it with all the workload in school !!! Aaahhh , I'm freaking out ... Is it too early anyways ? I've looked at one proper exam and I've done a good few drills along the way but that's it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Up to 36 hours more like!

That can't be legal surely? Hazardous even? For the doctors themselves and for patients?

Gabsy, I haven't had time either. Just relax and don't worry, it's still early days!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

jtaylol wrote: »
    Hey all, lc repeater here. Decent hpat last year (183) but only 500 in the leaving. Am doing a med***** course, just the online one, and hoping to get into NUIG this year! Any others in the same boat?
    dam 183 is some good score did you prepear alot for the hpat last year?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement