Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jtaylol

ahmdoda wrote: »
    dam 183 is some good score did you prepear alot for the hpat last year?

Nope! Just read through the papers and looked at a few aptitude test books. Didn't do any course, but I am doing one online this year. Hopefully I'll get higher than 183 this year! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

jtaylol wrote: »
    Hey all, lc repeater here. Decent hpat last year (183) but only 500 in the leaving. Am doing a med***** course, just the online one, and hoping to get into NUIG this year! Any others in the same boat?

whoa that's amazing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cskeogh

Hi I am currently in 5th year and really want to try every option. if anyone has been through this and could help it would be great! I am preparing for the HPAT but was wondering if there's other things i should be researching like the ukcat and what the options and routes to applications and tests. thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    That can't be legal surely? Hazardous even? For the doctors themselves and for patients?

As a prospective medical student you should be following the NCHD "24 no more" campaign which is the reason for the planned strike on Tuesday.

From this statement, note the results on working hours from a survey earlier on this year:
    Almost 70% of NCHDs work in excess of 60 hours a week
    85% of NCHDs work continuous shifts in excess of 24 hours
    37% of NCHDs work continuous shifts in excess of 36 hours

Other links:
    http://www.imo.ie/specialty//nchd/nchd-enough-is-enough-cam/
    http://www.imo.ie/specialty/nchd/nchd-enough-is-enough-cam/ballot-sees-nchds-vote-ov/
    http://www.imo.ie/specialty/nchd/nchd-enough-is-enough-cam/imo-confirms-that-it-will/

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cskeogh

I'd like to try all routes including Northern Ireland and England I was wondering If anyone could help me with what I should apply for and that kind of thing? Thank you!

• Advertisement

cskeogh wrote: »
    I'd like to try all routes including Northern Ireland and England I was wondering If anyone could help me with what I should apply for and that kind of thing? Thank you!

Think you might be too late to apply for Medicine in the UK.. or the deadline for UCAS is the 15th October, not 100% sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Flickka

jtaylol wrote: »
    Think you might be too late to apply for Medicine in the UK.. or the deadline for UCAS is the 15th October, not 100% sure

Yepp! The deadline for the UKCAT is also the 4th of October so won't be possible for you to apply this year. I was booked in to do the UKCAT myself on the 2nd but ended up cancelling as I didn't feel prepared. The timing in that thing is insane. I will probably look into it after the leaving if that doesn't go as planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ray D. Ator

Anyone want to join a M*edentry group or if you already have one can you PM please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Izymunz

Did anyone look at the extra hpat questions that Acer have provided?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 drlobita

Finding it very scary that we have all this HPAT lark to do, in addition to the mountainous workload of the actual Leaving itself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 drlobita

cskeogh wrote: »
    Hi I am currently in 5th year and really want to try every option. if anyone has been through this and could help it would be great! I am preparing for the HPAT but was wondering if there's other things i should be researching like the ukcat and what the options and routes to applications and tests. thank you!

I did the UKCAT this year, and didn't do awfully after not a lot of study! Start working on your personal statement and ukcat in summer of 5th yr and then you can focus on HPAT and Leaving when you go back to school :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

yo I hate cramming this forum with these requests but is anyone interested in medentri group sign up? PM if interested

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Kirby2k07 wrote: »
    yo I hate cramming this forum with these requests but is anyone interested in medentri group sign up? PM if interested

Post here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057003712

• Registered Users Posts: 3 scienceandpugs

Hey, just wondering if anyone has tried more than one prep course for the hpat. I did IofE before and got 178, so an okay score but nothing special.
    I've considered med entry but the price, even at a group discount is pretty expensive. I've thought about the online course only but I amn't sure if that's enough. Has anyone tried just the online one?
    Also, are there any other courses ye've tried, for example Careers Services?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Hey, just wondering if anyone has tried more than one prep course for the hpat. I did IofE before and got 178, so an okay score but nothing special.
    I've considered med entry but the price, even at a group discount is pretty expensive. I've thought about the online course only but I amn't sure if that's enough. Has anyone tried just the online one?
    Also, are there any other courses ye've tried, for example Careers Services?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi there. :) I'm a repeater and I'm just doing the online med entry course, friends who did the full one last year said it wasn't worth the extra money at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

I know it's Ireland and HPAT is required but im just wondering would other aptitude tests and practice questions help.. e.g umat?
    I have the hpat practice materials can't really see much difference in the style of questions except for some of the science questions still I thought I'd ask here ..need expert advice. Don't want to get myself into too many shiz :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ShatterResistant

I was planning on doing medicine and bought the full two day package of Med- entry about 6 months ago and have since decided I want to do another course in college! So now I'm left out €400 :(

If anyone fancies buying it off me, I'd happily sell it for €250, I'll send on the letter for entry to the training day in Cork with a letter from myself giving up my place and all the login details. I haven't used any of the practice tests or that and it seems like a real waste. PM if interested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Viola112

Hey I'm new to this thread and am repeating the hpat this year. I was wondering if anybody has any book recommendations for improving in the hpat? ie. thinking skills, emotional intelligence, speed thinking etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 andersio

Hey, anyone here who has tried the med entry online course?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 scienceandpugs

I've been using the online course for about a week now and find it very good, however if you haven't done one of the courses before, I'd recommend you do a weekend course as well if you can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 andersio

Thanks, can you tell me more about how the program works? Im afraid i cant go to Ireland to take the weekend course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SusieNiF

Would it be unwise to purchase ******** now?
    Would I run out of material by 2014 / will it be outdated?

This is probably a stupid question, but what does everyone mean by ********??

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ConorR32

It does, points must be drawn from the one sitting of the Leaving, and unlike most other courses, you must meet matriculation and course requirements in the same year as you are counting for points (in other words, you can't satisfy requirements such as Maths, English, etc. in one year, drop those subjects, and count your points from the following year).

As of this year, your HPAT score must be from the same year as well.
    I emailed ACER, TCD and UCD about this and it's not true. I've heard it a lot but it's not true. You CAN repeat the HPAT without repeating the leaving BUT your HPAT must be current in the year of entry, so for example if I were to sit HPAT 2014 and LC 2014 and then take a gap year, I wouldn't be able to present my HPAT 2014 result for 2015 entry, I'd have to resit.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ConorR32

How's prep going for everyone? How many hours have you all been putting in, if any? I have a subscription to ******** online but I haven't really used it at all yet. Life keeps getting in the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

ConorR32 wrote: »
    How's prep going for everyone? How many hours have you all been putting in, if any? I have a subscription to ******** online but I haven't really used it at all yet. Life keeps getting in the way!

Not enough :P I've done a few sample papers. Got quite an array of results on each paper. On one I got a raw score of 202, another 168, and then 193. Really unsure what these results would be like in percentile terms. Really need to start doing more, but it just feels like its so far away!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    Not enough :P I've done a few sample papers. Got quite an array of results on each paper. On one I got a raw score of 202, another 168, and then 193. Really unsure what these results would be like in percentile terms. Really need to start doing more, but it just feels like its so far away!

How can you calculate your score when you don't know the marks for each question? Did you take the weighting into account?
    I've done a few papers but it's hard to see where I stand and your not given a score from 300 on M**e****

How can you calculate your score when you don't know the marks for each question? Did you take the weighting into account?
    I've done a few papers but it's hard to see where I stand and your not given a score from 300 on M**e****

Nope, that's why I have no idea what they'd be worth in the actual exam. I just got a percentage of the questions I got right, and marked it out of 300 for convienience.
    Yeah, I haven't got med ent. I've just accumulated a few sample papers from people I know who took the Hpat last year. I think the actual paper booklets give you a feel for the exam which you simply can't gain from practicing in front of a computer.

Nope, that's why I have no idea what they'd be worth in the actual exam. I just got a percentage of the questions I got right, and marked it out of 300 for convienience.
    Yeah, I haven't got med ent. I've just accumulated a few sample papers from people I know who took the Hpat last year. I think the actual paper booklets give you a feel for the exam which you simply can't gain from practicing in front of a computer.

Yeh that's true, I find it difficult to stare at a computer screen for a few hours and have to do workings on a page beside me because the actual exam won't be like that. I've done a supervised hpat exam in exam conditions so that gave me a good idea of what it would really be like.
    The strangest thing was the fact that when our time was up for each section, about 99% of people were not finished yet (including me) so I know I have to work on timing esp for section 1 :rolleyes:

Yeh that's true, I find it difficult to stare at a computer screen for a few hours and have to do workings on a page beside me because the actual exam won't be like that. I've done a supervised hpat exam in exam conditions so that gave me a good idea of what it would really be like.
    The strangest thing was the fact that when our time was up for each section, about 99% of people were not finished yet (including me) so I know I have to work on timing esp for section 1 :rolleyes:

I'm the exact same for section 1, I'm generally about 5 minutes late finishing for that section, but I think it's subsidised by my section 2 which I fly through. I'm quite fast with section 3 as well, although I find myself spending too much time on questions which I'm just not going to figure out too much of the time. I really think that ACER put in some questions just to throw you off :P

• Advertisement

I'm the exact same for section 1, I'm generally about 5 minutes late finishing for that section, but I think it's subsidised by my section 2 which I fly through. I'm quite fast with section 3 as well, although I find myself spending too much time on questions which I'm just not going to figure out too much of the time. I really think that ACER put in some questions just to throw you off :P

Yeh we were warned in the course I did how some questions are almost impossible to do even if time wasn't an issue. You just have to skip those ones to save time, they're just mind-numbing, horrible questions! :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement