Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 a1995

Hi, I was just wondering did anyone do the trial exam at the 2 day med-*ntry workshop? and if so what kind of scores did you get? My scores:
    Section 1: 19
    Section 2: 27
    Section 3: 12

Just wondering how that compares to everyone else? Thanks guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ConorR32

Does anyone else feel like prep is a bit futile? Or worse, harmful? I feel just as confident now as I did before I read all the online material on the LMS, there's nothing there that I didn't already know and the questions I found tough beforehand (the really impossible ones!) are just as tough today!

Yet still, I feel horrible, crushing guilt when I don't do prep! It's a bit like study for the LC, I consistently get A's in school but then when I don't do study on top of homework I feel like I'm going to eff up in the real thing!

It's a horrible feeling and I honestly believe it'll contribute to me losing marks for wasting time being hypercritical and/or anxious during the exam! Can anybody empathise with me? Or better yet, offer me some advice?

It's a lonely road going for a course like medicine, so it's great to get feedback from others going along that tough path to success!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kate the Book Thief

I'm looking for someone interested in doing a M e d E n t r y preparation course for the HPAT?

There's around a 30% discount on the platinum course from about 625 euro to 445 euro when you register as a part of a group.

To register as a group all you need is the name of one other person who's going to do the course, so any takers? If so, reply or send a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I'm looking for someone interested in doing a ******** preparation course for the HPAT?

There's around a 40% discount from about 600 euro to 450 euro when you register as a part of a group.

To register as a group all you need is the name of one other person who's going to do the course, so any takers? If so, reply or send a PM.

That's a 25% discount. Please, don't ever approach me in a medical setting. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kate the Book Thief

my bad :P both a misquote and a mathematical error, not getting off to a good start...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Ah well, at least you have a sense of humour. Best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Holly_Rose

Hi all,
    So CAO opened a couple of ago and suddenly the guidance counsellor are everywhere asking what everyone's second options were...needless to say when she asked me what id do if I didn't get medicine, 'cry' wasn't the right answer....point being what are everyone's second options?

I know I definitely want to do medicine and to be honest I already know if I don't get it hpat will be the reason why!

I know I can do graduate entry med or year out and repeat hpat (did TY so neither are appealing) or (fingers crossed) does anyone know is it possible to do a year science (eg biomed in ucd) and go into undergrad medicine from there? Or do you need to pay fees to do that? (Sorry about the long post, #newtoboards)

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 smtp95

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this sounds incredibly stupid, I was just wondering if I am permitted to print off the ebooks supplied by ACER for the HPAT?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

smtp95 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Sorry if this sounds incredibly stupid, I was just wondering if I am permitted to print off the ebooks supplied by ACER for the HPAT?

Thanks

Who gives a sh*t, just do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LydiaCatherine

Holly_Rose wrote: »
    Hi all,
    So CAO opened a couple of ago and suddenly the guidance counsellor are everywhere asking what everyone's second options were...needless to say when she asked me what id do if I didn't get medicine, 'cry' wasn't the right answer....point being what are everyone's second options?

I know I definitely want to do medicine and to be honest I already know if I don't get it hpat will be the reason why!

I know I can do graduate entry med or year out and repeat hpat (did TY so neither are appealing) or (fingers crossed) does anyone know is it possible to do a year science (eg biomed in ucd) and go into undergrad medicine from there? Or do you need to pay fees to do that? (Sorry about the long post, #newtoboards)

Thanks in advance :)

I was in your boots this time last year! I didn't get the elusive medicine due to the HPAT so I'm now doing biomed in UCD for this year and re-applying for med this year along with resitting the HPAT. For me, I think that biomed is the closest bet to medicine and it's great so far, you tend to have a few lectures with other medicine students. I'm not 100% sure but a few people in my group had said that if you get the points for medicine you can transfer to 2nd year and skip pre-med. Either way I think the fact you've dropped out of a course you will have to pay tuition fees for medicine because its not your first college undergrad course.

• Advertisement

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    Who gives a sh*t, just do it?

Thanks for the helpful advice accompanied by a delightful attitude :)

I was only asking a question...

Thanks for the helpful advice accompanied by a delightful attitude :)

I was only asking a question...

Haha, apologies if I came off as gruff :P

I was in your boots this time last year! I didn't get the elusive medicine due to the HPAT so I'm now doing biomed in UCD for this year and re-applying for med this year along with resitting the HPAT. For me, I think that biomed is the closest bet to medicine and it's great so far, you tend to have a few lectures with other medicine students. I'm not 100% sure but a few people in my group had said that if you get the points for medicine you can transfer to 2nd year and skip pre-med. Either way I think the fact you've dropped out of a course you will have to pay tuition fees for medicine because its not your first college undergrad course.[/quote

Thanks a mil :)

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    Haha, apologies if I came off as gruff :P

Haha, no worries my friend :)

I was in your boots this time last year! I didn't get the elusive medicine due to the HPAT so I'm now doing biomed in UCD for this year and re-applying for med this year along with resitting the HPAT. For me, I think that biomed is the closest bet to medicine and it's great so far, you tend to have a few lectures with other medicine students. I'm not 100% sure but a few people in my group had said that if you get the points for medicine you can transfer to 2nd year and skip pre-med. Either way I think the fact you've dropped out of a course you will have to pay tuition fees for medicine because its not your first college undergrad course.

Hey,

I'm considering putting your course down on my CAO. I'm also thinking of putting pharmacy down, and doing medicine post grad. Did you ever consider pharmacy?

Hey,

I'm considering putting your course down on my CAO. I'm also thinking of putting pharmacy down, and doing medicine post grad. Did you ever consider pharmacy?

I never even considered pharmacy. The same for radiography or physiology. I was dead set on medicine and biomed was the closest thing to it, for me anyway. I don't think I'd enjoy it as much really! Post grad med is definitely still an option for me though

• Registered Users Posts: 24 BBHenry

Hey, I've wanted to do medicine for around 3 years now and I will be sitting the Leaving Cert (& HPAT) in 2014. I have some prep material myself, stuff on methods to use & sample papers too. I haven't planned on doing a prep course, as I already have material from 2 and also they're so expensive?? Does anyone have any advice as to whether or not to do a prep course? I'm torn!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gabsy

Has anyone done any of the practice exams online on ME and have loads of time left after each section ?? I had over 25 mins left for each section and I got more than half of the answers correct except for section 3 which was an utter disaster :O am I doing it wrong or what ? :/ also any advice for section 3 ? People say that's it's the easiest part but for me it's the total opposite :(

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gabsy

BBHenry wrote: »
    Hey, I've wanted to do medicine for around 3 years now and I will be sitting the Leaving Cert (& HPAT) in 2014. I have some prep material myself, stuff on methods to use & sample papers too. I haven't planned on doing a prep course, as I already have material from 2 and also they're so expensive?? Does anyone have any advice as to whether or not to do a prep course? I'm torn!
    Have you sat the hpat before ? If so , then I think you should be ok but if not then it is totally upto you whether you think you need extra help or maybe you think that you will do okay without it :) personally , I had to take the prep course as I was just a big ball of nerves and I still am but it has calmed me down a bit and I'm getting more and more confident :)

gabsy wrote: »
    Has anyone done any of the practice exams online on ME and have loads of time left after each section ?? I had over 25 mins left for each section and I got more than half of the answers correct except for section 3 which was an utter disaster :O am I doing it wrong or what ? :/ also any advice for section 3 ? People say that's it's the easiest part but for me it's the total opposite :(

I'm the same, except Id finish with about 10 mins to spare in each section. Different strokes for different folks as they say :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 maesetea

Hey guys
    I'm just looking for a bit of advice, I really want to do med but i haven't started studying for the hpat. I plan to buy m entry but is 3 months enough time to study and do well? I recently dropped to past maths in order tp concentrate on my other six and i think i'm capable of 545-550 with a lot of hard work. Is it possible? I have no problem doing grad med but i might as well try the first time right?
    Any feedback, advice or constructive criticism is much appreciated!
    Ps. I'm new to boards...so if this is in the wrong place, apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Azuraiii

Sup guys,

I do business, maths, english, physics, spanish and geography for the leaving cert.
    Based on the subjects that I do is it possible for me to gain entry into medicine?

Thanks alot.

Azuraiii wrote: »
    Sup guys,

I do business, maths, english, physics, spanish and geography for the leaving cert.
    Based on the subjects that I do is it possible for me to gain entry into medicine?

Thanks alot.

I could be wrong here but I was under the impression that you had to have two science subjects, biology and another.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tosic

I could be wrong here but I was under the impression that you had to have two science subjects, biology and another.

I was under that impression too but I looked at the UCD requirements (http://www.qualifax.ie/qf/QFPublic/?Mainsec=courses&Subsec=course_details&ID=111) and saw this:
    "Entry Requirements
    English • Irish • A third language • Mathematics • One laboratory science subject • One other recognised subject"

Same for Galway:
    "-Entry Requirements - Medicine (6 year)

Minimum Grade HC3 in two subjects and passes in four other subjects at H or O level in the Leaving Certificate including: Irish, English, another language, Mathematics, a laboratory science subject (i.e. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Physics with Chemistry (joint) or Agricultural Science) and any other subject recognised for entry purposes."

I haven't checked the others.

I think you only need two sciences for universities with no premed year. I know you need two for trinity anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mmtm100

<snipped>

mmtm, every post so far, including a number of deleted ones, are spamming that prep course.

You know the T&Cs you signed up to (including vouching that you had actually read them) ?

GO READ THEM!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gracedsoye

Am a bit late for asking, but is anyone interested in joining a group for the Hpat course? PLEASE PLEASE contact as soon as possible, cause gradually am feeling quite worried since I haven't started and the exam is less than 4 months. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

This thread really intrigues me, how is it that people who score around 600 points often can't do as well in the HPAT? I'm a bit confused. I'm thankfully doing well in school and am considering studying medicine in UCC, but is the HPAT really as difficult as it seems? I was looking at one sample paper and it didn't look awfully difficult, anyone have any idea???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

yoyojc wrote: »
    This thread really intrigues me, how is it that people who score around 600 points often can't do as well in the HPAT? I'm a bit confused. I'm thankfully doing well in school and am considering studying medicine in UCC, but is the HPAT really as difficult as it seems? I was looking at one sample paper and it didn't look awfully difficult, anyone have any idea???

Glancing at a paper and sitting down and doing 110 questions in 150 minutes just aren't the same. The reason the hpat exists is to test a set of skills that aren't tested in the leaving cert. So there's no reason a link between good hpat and leaving cert 'should' exist. As well, all these people who are supposedly scoring 600 points are scored a percentile relative to each other, so it's difficult to judge what a good score is. If a 1000 people sit the hpat and they all have 600 points obviously not everybody with 600 points can be in the 80+ percentile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

fewtins wrote: »
    Glancing at a paper and sitting down and doing 110 questions in 150 minutes just aren't the same. The reason the hpat exists is to test a set of skills that aren't tested in the leaving cert. So there's no reason a link between good hpat and leaving cert 'should' exist. As well, all these people who are supposedly scoring 600 points are scored a percentile relative to each other, so it's difficult to judge what a good score is. If a 1000 people sit the hpat and they all have 600 points obviously not everybody with 600 points can be in the 80+ percentile.

Thanks for that. So is it also about speed? Do alot of people struggle with timing, other than timing do people just find the questions difficult to understand, the wording, or what is it? Yeah I get you, I just think it's unusual a friend of mine got 625 points serious hard worker yet naturally intelligent and failed to get in due to his low HPAT score.. it's strange.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement