Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Viola112

Is anyone doing/has anyone done the Ashfield College HPAT preparation course? Just wondering do you think it helped or differed from any other prep course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

yoyojc wrote: »
    Thanks for that. So is it also about speed? Do alot of people struggle with timing, other than timing do people just find the questions difficult to understand, the wording, or what is it? Yeah I get you, I just think it's unusual a friend of mine got 625 points serious hard worker yet naturally intelligent and failed to get in due to his low HPAT score.. it's strange.

Most people have a problem with timing, but there's a girl in my class who just blasted through and finished every section 10+ minutes early then just there cause she found that when she started checking answers that she got more wrong. Sounds mental but she was 100th percentile. Also heard of loads of people in my who just filled in C or guessed the last 10 or so for section 3 and stuff like that. Everybody's different.

Repeating the hpat generally makes a big difference in your score (of course not everybody though). And based on the amount of people in my class anyway who did nothing for a year/also had to repeat the leaving cert/ did 1, 2 or even 3 years of pharmacy, dentistry, science etc etc. I would imagine that people sitting the hpat for the second, third or fourth time make up a considerable portion of the candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hjils

Hi! I'm new to boards but I just wanted to find out if I'm too late to join any groups to do the med entry course??

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Just finished the first semester of UCD med.

Happy to answer any questions about the course (I know its hard to choose which college during CAO time), PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Flickka

0mega wrote: »

Happy to answer any questions about the course (I know its hard to choose which college during CAO time), PM me.

Ah so jealous... Do you mind me asking what your score was in the HPAT? How are you liking the course? It's nice to be reminded it's actually possible...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 hjils

Is anybody doing the med entry course????group needed?!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LydiaCatherine

Premed or stage 2?

Flickka wrote: »
    Ah so jealous... Do you mind me asking what your score was in the HPAT? How are you liking the course? It's nice to be reminded it's actually possible...

188. (I was lucky to get in)

Course is brilliant. #goUCD

Premed or stage 2?

Premed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tomatoes

hjils wrote: »
    Hi! I'm new to boards but I just wanted to find out if I'm too late to join any groups to do the med entry course??

I am looking for someone to join to get the group discount for HPat Med Entry course. PM me if you still interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 TheLC14

Im in 6th year now and have never put any thought into doing med in university. Someone said something to me the other day and I kinda had a eureka moment and now I'm quite interested. I haven't done much the last year but im naturally smart. Is it too late?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LydiaCatherine

Premed.

All sorted for the cell biology exam? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 antel0pe

So I encountered a bit of an issue today while purchasing/registering for the HPAT. It says on their website that if you bought the practice material last year you don't have to purchase it again this year. On another part of their website it states that one of the practice tests is included at a "reduced rate". That means the regular cost (first time doing the HPAT) would be €115. Yet I have to pay the same cost as well. There is no way to exclude the practice test.

Are we forced to buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 magaluf

Hey, did my Leaving last year and am in college now. Can I sit the HPAT and apply for Med. while staying in college in case it doesn't work out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

magaluf wrote: »
    Hey, did my Leaving last year and am in college now. Can I sit the HPAT and apply for Med. while staying in college in case it doesn't work out?

Yeah.

magaluf wrote: »

What are you studying? Just curious but yeah that's no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 KildareKing

hey everyone, i was in your shoes last year ...and barely scraped it into nuig, just finished the first semester of 1st med.......Im happy to answer any questions, keep workin hard guys, its definetly worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 LeapOfFaith

Hi,
    Has anyone on this forum done the IOE hpat course
    and have the answer sheet for the Mock they gave, I lost mine and want to go over the exam, find out where I went wrong and all.
    Would appreciate it immensely! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 davidj_PM

Hi,
    Has anyone on this forum done the IOE hpat course
    and have the answer sheet for the Mock they gave, I lost mine and want to go over the exam, find out where I went wrong and all.
    Would appreciate it immensely! :)

If you send an email to it@ioe.ie we will send you the answer key for the mock exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Izymunz

Has anyone done the new Hpat practice exam yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 aparna6

Yeah I have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Izymunz

How did you find section 2? I thought it was a good bit harder than the online course ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Emma_O25

Hey! I'm sitting the HPAT this year and find that while i get nearly every answer right in section 2 and always do very well in section 1, i'm hopeless at section 3!! Does anyone have any advice as to how i might improve it? Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

hey everyone, i was in your shoes last year ...and barely scraped it into nuig, just finished the first semester of 1st med.......Im happy to answer any questions, keep workin hard guys, its definetly worth it :)

Can I just ask you what you got in the HPAT, and what you got in your leaving cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Hi, just enquiring into purchasing HPAT papers. Is it only off the official ACER website? Can you purchase physical copies or must it be e-books? I'm very confused as to which books to purchase? There's practice 1, practice 2, practice 3 and additional questions? Is each book on each section or would just getting practice 1 have all questions in it?

Thank you for your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 KildareKing

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    Can I just ask you what you got in the HPAT, and what you got in your leaving cert?

I got 570 in the leaving and 185 in hpat

Hi, do you mind me asking what sort of prep you did for the HPAT? I'm doing the online course at the moment. I find section 2 easy enough and usually score pretty high in that but am not great at section 3. I find the "pick the middle" questions very hard and am just not sure on how to improve on them. Section 1 is okay but I'm just too slow and keep running out of time. Any advice is really appreciated and congrats on getting in!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mr.0

has anyone got practise material that they want to lend, sell or exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Flickka wrote: »
    Hi, do you mind me asking what sort of prep you did for the HPAT? I'm doing the online course at the moment. I find section 2 easy enough and usually score pretty high in that but am not great at section 3. I find the "pick the middle" questions very hard and am just not sure on how to improve on them. Section 1 is okay but I'm just too slow and keep running out of time. Any advice is really appreciated and congrats on getting in!
    How do you define 'pretty high', if you don't mind? It's hard to judge. Section 2 is by far my most inconsistent, I think I need to switch on the emotional engagement switch first!

The pick the middle ones get easier as you go on, but yeah, I still get an awful lot of them wrong - but so will most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 andersio

Hi, is there anyone here that has tried the med entry online course? Living in Norway and doesn't have the opportunity to go the take a two day course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement