Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jtaylol

andersio wrote: »
    Hi, is there anyone here that has tried the med entry online course? Living in Norway and doesn't have the opportunity to go the take a two day course.

Hi, I'm doing the online one. Finding it very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Borboleta

Anyone looking for a partner to sign up for the med entry prep course with group discount PM me please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SusieNiF

Hi, I'm going to get the ******** package but I was just wondering if anyone had any opinion on whether the platinum or distance package was better? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dcarolan14

Hi,
    I was wondering if it's possible to get your hands on the 2013 HPAT exam or can we just use the official practice exams on the HPAT website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

For exams like the hpat questions are often used repeatedly so past papers aren't published.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 mr.0

The Platium is the course+practise material, the distance is just the materials

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Syk135

Random question but do we need to use a calculator for Hpat? I know we're not allowed to bring one in the exam and some of the calculations are pretty simple enough for section 1 but you know... Just wondering... Or maybe I'm just being paranoid. :(
    I did the UKCAT in the north and there was an online calculator. Is it the same here? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Syk135 wrote: »
    Random question but do we need to use a calculator for Hpat? I know we're not allowed to bring one in the exam and some of the calculations are pretty simple enough for section 1 but you know... Just wondering... Or maybe I'm just being paranoid. :(
    I did the UKCAT in the north and there was an online calculator. Is it the same here? :/

You may need one but you won't have one. Some calculations are too difficult to do in your head but you're trying to get as close to the answer as you can. I just practice doing little maths sums in my head and learned division and multiplication from primary school all over again :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Flickka

Hi, just wondering does anybody have any advice on how to improve at section 3 of the HPAT? It's by far my weakest section and I'm worried it'll bring down my overall score considerably. I just don't see how it's possible to get it done in time. I've tried a few online exams and I never get anymore than half done in the given time. I'd really appreciate any advice, especially those who have been successful in the HPAT already. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Syk135

You may need one but you won't have one. Some calculations are too difficult to do in your head but you're trying to get as close to the answer as you can. I just practice doing little maths sums in my head and learned division and multiplication from primary school all over again :P

Thanks! That's hard when I really too much on my calculator... I guess it's back to learning basic multiplication and division again... Can never run away from BEMDAS :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 hopefull95

Hi everyone :) Am repeating the leaving this year and dropped higher level maths, want to go for Med but don't have the confidence to sit hpat this year I think.. Is there anything stopping me from sitting hpat next year ? Im hearing things like " subject requirments and points need to be obtained in same sitting" and then im hearing people tell me if you get biomed and do really well in exams they'll accept you to med? Hard to know what to believe really as it sounds too good to be true. Any help would be appreciated :)

hopefull95 wrote: »
    Hi everyone :) Am repeating the leaving this year and dropped higher level maths, want to go for Med but don't have the confidence to sit hpat this year I think.. Is there anything stopping me from sitting hpat next year ? Im hearing things like " subject requirments and points need to be obtained in same sitting" and then im hearing people tell me if you get biomed and do really well in exams they'll accept you to med? Hard to know what to believe really as it sounds too good to be true. Any help would be appreciated :)

You need to matriculate and get your points in one sitting yes. There's no way into medicine through biomed or anything.

You don't have to sit the hpat and you'll be able to use your leaving cert from this year next year and thereafter, but other than the cost of the exam you have nothing to lose by sitting it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

fewtins wrote: »
    You need to matriculate and get your points in one sitting yes. There's no way into medicine through biomed or anything.

You don't have to sit the hpat and you'll be able to use your leaving cert from this year next year and thereafter, but other than the cost of the exam you have nothing to lose by sitting it this year.

Sorry, just to clarify, you must matric and get points from these subjects all in one year, but you can sit lc in 2014 and sit hpat in 2015 and re-apply through CAO?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 indecisive18

This might sound really stupid but can someone help please? If im putting medicine on my cao , and i only put med in cork and galway down by feb 1st, does that mean i cant add trinity, ucd or rcsi during change of my mind when the cao opens again around may, because medicine is a restricted course.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Just wondering what kind of points an aspiring medical student should be trying to attain in the leaving cert? I was thinking anything over 550 but do many get in on like 550/560? (I'm aware that every 5 points after 550 counts as 1 :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

yoyojc wrote: »
    Just wondering what kind of points an aspiring medical student should be trying to attain in the leaving cert? I was thinking anything over 550 but do many get in on like 550/560? (I'm aware that every 5 points after 550 counts as 1 :) )

I'd say most med students would aim for the full 600/625 because every point makes a difference. Yeh there are people that get in with 550 or even less but you'd need a fairly good hpat score.

Sorry, just to clarify, you must matric and get points from these subjects all in one year, but you can sit lc in 2014 and sit hpat in 2015 and re-apply through CAO?

Yeah. With the new change in currency of results you can use your same leaving cert score every year as before, but say a 2014 hpat score can't be used to apply for medicine in 2015 anymore.

yoyojc wrote: »

In tcd first year this year there's a few people with 530/535, so yeah it's not impossible. Getting 550 makes life easier though for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 katiemc12

Hey guys, just wondering is there anyone on here thinking of applying abroad just in case they dont get med in ireland?

katiemc12 wrote: »
    Hey guys, just wondering is there anyone on here thinking of applying abroad just in case they dont get med in ireland?

I was signed up to do the UKCAT in September but backed out a few days before as I didn't feel prepared. I think I'd have a good chance of getting into Queen's but I've decided just to wait until next year before I apply abroad. There's also the option of Charles University in Prague but not too keen on that myself. I'm just going to think positive for this year and give it my best shot before I start worrying about applying to other places.

• Advertisement

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055799819

Anyone else read this thread? Pretty depressing to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

katiemc12 wrote: »

Yes. Me! Where are you thinking of applying?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 LeapOfFaith

Hi,

I desperately need some advice. I am repeating my leaving cert this year
    and I had hoped not to be faced with the prospect of prepping for BOTH the LC mocks and the hpat
    at this time of the year, rather, focusing predominantly on the Hpat.
    The school I am in are suggesting I keep in sync with the rest of the students and attempt the mocks
    but I can get out of them via parent's permission, etc.

So to all those who have got into med, know someone who has or are themselves in my position, what should I do?

Is it worth my while?

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 katiemc12

miissjuly wrote: »
    Yes. Me! Where are you thinking of applying?

I was mainly thinking of Budapest, just because its pretty easy to get to flight wise etc but I noticed a med school Italy has a med programme in English, and to be fair that would be a bit closer than Hungary! Where are you thinking? :)

Hi,

I desperately need some advice. I am repeating my leaving cert this year
    and I had hoped not to be faced with the prospect of prepping for BOTH the LC mocks and the hpat
    at this time of the year, rather, focusing predominantly on the Hpat.
    The school I am in are suggesting I keep in sync with the rest of the students and attempt the mocks
    but I can get out of them via parent's permission, etc.

So to all those who have got into med, know someone who has or are themselves in my position, what should I do?

Is it worth my while?

Thanks in advance :)

IN THE EXACT SAME POSITION! Not sure what to do. 90e seems a bit much as well. I'd rather take the week and a half for self study and hpat.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 LeapOfFaith

Same here, I really need to get studying for the hpat.I'm lucky if I get one drill done a day!
    What do you think you'll do?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

Finally popping in here. Doing hpat for the 2nd time this year, hopefully I'll improve in section 1 and 2(especially 2). Other repeaters here who found S2 hard last year?

Same here, I really need to get studying for the hpat.I'm lucky if I get one drill done a day!
    What do you think you'll do?

Gonna talk it over with dad later, but I'd say I'll take a study week. Mocks are about time management and all that jazz, which I'm already experienced in. I'll count last years leaving as my mocks. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭proudi

Hello.

I am currently filling out my CAO and am certain that my first choice is medicine. However, I'm not sure what my plan B will be if I don't get it. I sat the LC last summer and got decent points so it really just comes down to my HPAT now. I understand that in a few months I can access my application again and make changes as I see fit. However, for medicine my application has to have been made by 1st of February. Can I put down medicine as my first few choices for now and then leave the rest of my CAO blank until the change of mind facility opens, when I will put in my backup plan? Is my application for medicine considered as long as I have it on my CAO and when I enter my backup in a few months will I be able to change the orders of my medicine courses without voiding the application?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Advertisement

Yeah put medicine in before the first deadline closes, then when it opens again you can move the order around as you like and indeed remove it. But if you haven't made an application before the first deadline for a restricted course you won't be able to add it in when the CAO opens again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement