Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭proudi

fewtins wrote: »
    Yeah put medicine in before the first deadline closes, then when it opens again you can move the order around as you like and indeed remove it. But if you haven't made an application before the first deadline for a restricted course you won't be able to add it in when the CAO opens again.

Cheers. That's really helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Anyone know what a good score in the practice ACER exams would be? (out of 110)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jtaylol

Hey ya'll, I have a hpat course question.
    Went to do a practice exam and it's saying because I did them last year I can't do them this year? Surely buying a new subscription would enable me to do them again? Wrecking my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Layzerman wrote: »
    Not a bit early for this no? :p

Well I don't think it ever too early, anyway staying on the same subject do you not think it might be a good idea to do the hpat in 5th year(if that's even allowed), I'm well out of school but my son did the hpat in the same year he sat his leaving(2 yrs ago) and the pressure from the leaving cert was enough never mind throwing the hpat into the mix. BTW he did not do too well in the hpat that year but did it again the following year and got medicine which is all he really wanted to do but it was a hard slog. I'm told that the percentage of students that get accepted for medicine on their first sitting of the hpat is pretty small and I for one am not surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Well I don't think it ever too early, anyway staying on the same subject do you not think it might be a good idea to do the hpat in 5th year, I'm well out of school but my son did the hpat in the same year he sat his leaving(2 yrs ago) and the pressure from the leaving cert was enough never mind throwing the hpat into the mix. BTW he did not do too well in the hpat that year but did it again the following year and got medicine which is all he really wanted to do but it was a hard slog. I'm told that the percentage of students that get accepted for medicine on their first sitting of the hpat is pretty small and I for one am not surprised.

You're only allowed to do it in your last year of school/when you have a CAO number to apply to the CAO with which you wouldn't have in 5th year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Closet Monkey

Does your leaving cert count if you did it in 2012?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ConorR32

Does your leaving cert count if you did it in 2012?

Yeah just apply to CAO and follow the form, you enter your exam number from 2012 and your points from 2012 will qualify you to enter any undergrad course this sept. You do however, need to do HPAT 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

CAO supporting documents (Don't panic, I'm a mature!) posted...S*** just got real :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Anyone know what a good score in the practice ACER exams would be? (out of 110)

180 out of 300 for real thing is ok.
    So approx 60 percent of 110. Obviously you'd be aiming at like 80 percent if you did it at home with no timelines etc

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LydiaCatherine

fewtins wrote: »
    You need to matriculate and get your points in one sitting yes. There's no way into medicine through biomed or anything.

You don't have to sit the hpat and you'll be able to use your leaving cert from this year next year and thereafter, but other than the cost of the exam you have nothing to lose by sitting it this year.

You can transfer to 2nd year medicine from biomed on the basis that you get the points in the hpat for medicine in the year you apply for the transfer. I'm nearly certain you can, I'm not too concerned about it because I wouldn't get ucd's points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

You can transfer to 2nd year medicine from biomed on the basis that you get the points in the hpat for medicine in the year you apply for the transfer. I'm nearly certain you can, I'm not too concerned about it because I wouldn't get ucd's points.

Pretty sure this is a myth. You could do a year of Biomed and (so far, I imagine it's quite likely to change in the coming years) go into First Med in a pre-med college without paying fees, in a way counting the year of Biomed as pre-med, but there's no way you can substitute a year of Biomed for First Med.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Viola112

Has anyone applied to Eunicas to study med in Europe? If ye have, what universities did you apply to? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 stracks

Hi guys, last year I did thee HPAT and LC, getting 220 and 625 respectively. I'm starting to give some grinds in various subjects with study advice sessions, so if you're living in Galway city and want help message me. I'll also be willing to correct extra material outside of these grinds and travel to your home. I charge €25 an hour or €40 for 2 people. Best of luck everyone with the HPAT and LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Possibly you'd be allow do that in colleges with Premed (UCD and NUIG), that you'd be allowed go into 2nd year (equivalent 1st yr for the other colleges) but anyone who got into Med in UCC this year as a repeat student with their HPAT points still had to go through 1st yr, even people who did Dent or Pharmacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

stracks wrote: »
    Hi guys, last year I did thee HPAT and LC, getting 220 and 625 respectively. I'm starting to give some grinds in various subjects with study advice sessions, so if you're living in Galway city and want help message me. I'll also be willing to correct extra material outside of these grinds and travel to your home. I charge €25 an hour or €40 for 2 people. Best of luck everyone with the HPAT and LC.

Why don't you live in Munster??

Viola112 wrote: »
    Has anyone applied to Eunicas to study med in Europe? If ye have, what universities did you apply to? :)

You are better off applying directly to the unis and sitting the tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Flickka

3 weeks today it'll all be over with guys! Is everyone doing a lot of practice? I feel like I should be doing a lot more...

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

Flickka wrote: »
    3 weeks today it'll all be over with guys! Is everyone doing a lot of practice? I feel like I should be doing a lot more...

Yeah so do I. Feel like I should be worried, but Im just not :L whether this is a good thing or not I have no idea. I'm just going to keep up what im doing now. I'd say I'll get what I get at this stage. Be graaaand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I'm doing a fair amount . I'm almost finished all the practice papers from the prep course and will do acer ones soon .

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LydiaCatherine

Possibly you'd be allow do that in colleges with Premed (UCD and NUIG), that you'd be allowed go into 2nd year (equivalent 1st yr for the other colleges) but anyone who got into Med in UCC this year as a repeat student with their HPAT points still had to go through 1st yr, even people who did Dent or Pharmacy.

Yeah you're right. I only know it's the case for UCD because half of us biomeds in UCD hope to skip premed and merge with the 2nd yr meds. There's such a divide between the two courses, it's hilarious.

• Advertisement

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    Yeah so do I. Feel like I should be worried, but Im just not :L whether this is a good thing or not I have no idea. I'm just going to keep up what im doing now. I'd say I'll get what I get at this stage. Be graaaand.

I would love to feel that confident! I'm not too worried about the Leaving Cert itself but the prospect of the HPAT terrifies me. My timing is absolutely dreadful.

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I'm doing a fair amount . I'm almost finished all the practice papers from the prep course and will do acer ones soon .

Oh God that makes me feel guilty. I've only done the first few practice papers from ME. No excuses though, I'll have to put more effort into it for the next few weeks. How are you finding them? I tend to score well in the 2nd and 3rd section but never get more than 32/44 questions finished in the first. I'm really slow...

• Registered Users Posts: 17 wafture

Hey, quick question: are all the questions equally weighted in the HPAT?

I know section 3 is worth 20% and the other two 40% but I heard individual questions have different points? Like a harder question would be worth more marks than an easy one?

For prep I've done most of the ME tests but I'm fluctuating so much percentile so I can't tell how I'm doing :/ Panicking a bit!

In a few years time everybody in the world is going to become doctor then nobody would need to go to the doc we could just diagnose ourselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

I wouldn't worry about percentiles too much... mine range from 0-20 to 80's ...
    I'm focussing on the leaving cert though obviously because I would rather repeat the hpat than the leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Section 3 is an omnishambles consistently for me - 50th percentiles quite oft. I'm so happy it's only 20% now. Mind you if I had my way the whole thing would be just 2 hours of Section 1 >_>
    wafture wrote: »
    Hey, quick question: are all the questions equally weighted in the HPAT?

I know section 3 is worth 20% and the other two 40% but I heard individual questions have different points? Like a harder question would be worth more marks than an easy one?

For prep I've done most of the ME tests but I'm fluctuating so much percentile so I can't tell how I'm doing :/ Panicking a bit!
    Yes they are weighted almost certainly. What sort of percentile range are you fluctuating in? I'm very consistent at this stage. 4-5 percentile range for Section 1, about 7-8 for Section 2, about 10-11 for Section 3.

Section 3 is an omnishambles consistently for me - 50th percentiles quite oft. I'm so happy it's only 20% now. Mind you if I had my way the whole thing would be just 2 hours of Section 1 >_>

Agh. Section 1 is by far my worst. I usually get all the questions I attempt right but am always left with around 15 undone when time runs out. How do you manage to get them all done inside the time limit? I usually have 10+ minutes left after section 2. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17 wafture

Yes they are weighted almost certainly. What sort of percentile range are you fluctuating in? I'm very consistent at this stage. 4-5 percentile range for Section 1, about 7-8 for Section 2, about 10-11 for Section 3.

Thanks so much! Wasn't sure if they were!

I'm getting around 50th-80th for Section 1, usually around 80th-100th on Section 2 and 30th-70th on Section 3. :(

So irritating. I'm awful at section 1 + 3 :/

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Agh. Section 1 is by far my worst. I usually get all the questions I attempt right but am always left with around 15 undone when time runs out. How do you manage to get them all done inside the time limit? I usually have 10+ minutes left after section 2. :(
    I can usually get Section 1 done with 10 minutes to spare, Section 2 about 15, but to get Section 3 done in time I end up guessing the last 15 if I actually try the rest to any real extent. On exam 9 I got the entirety of the last 12 question on Section 3 wrong.. :(
    wafture wrote: »
    Thanks so much! Wasn't sure if they were!

I'm getting around 50th-80th for Section 1, usually around 80th-100th on Section 2 and 30th-70th on Section 3. :(

So irritating. I'm awful at section 1 + 3 :/

That does strike me as quite the fluctuation if you are oscillating that much in every section. 80th-100th is really good for Section 2 though! I rarely have broken the 80s. And if you can get 70th percentile in Section 3 you are do better than me :p

• Advertisement

I can usually get Section 1 done with 10 minutes to spare, Section 2 about 15, but to get Section 3 done in time I end up guessing the last 15 if I actually try the rest to any real extent. On exam 9 I got the entirety of the last 12 question on Section 3 wrong.. :(

10 minutes to spare? My God. How on earth do you manage that? Any tips? :p Yeah, section 3 can be like that for me too. I could spend 5 minutes solid staring at a few of the questions - especially those ******* pick the middles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement