Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 wafture

Hahah some section 1 tips would be great..

And oh god. Pick the middle questions. They frustrate me to no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Flickka wrote: »
    10 minutes to spare? My God. How on earth do you manage that? Any tips? :p Yeah, section 3 can be like that for me too. I could spend 5 minutes solid staring at a few of the questions - especially those ******* pick the middles.
    wafture wrote: »
    Hahah some section 1 tips would be great..

And oh god. Pick the middle questions. They frustrate me to no end.

Eh well for section 1, it helps to read the question first, and be sceptical!

It shocks me how people can go with their biases and gut instinct so often - a really good example for this is on questions regarding obesity or smoking, people answer based on the basis of their biases.

Also, I don't tend to devote much time to some of the trickier questions, If I cant get in 2 minutes I'll guess (hopefully having eliminated an option or two!), and move on.

And yeah, pick the middle questions. Probably a true test of how much one can juggle in the brain, sadly I'm quite rubbish on that front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Flickka

It shocks me how people can go with their biases and gut instinct so often - a really good example for this is on questions regarding obesity or smoking, people answer based on the basis of their biases.

Also, I don't tend to devote much time to some of the trickier questions, If I cant get in 2 minutes I'll guess (hopefully having eliminated an option or two!), and move on.

And yeah, pick the middle questions. Probably a true test of how much one can juggle in the brain, sadly I'm quite rubbish on that front.

Thanks a million! :) That makes a lot of sense.

Out of interest, what are everyone's 2nd options? All I really want to do is med but I have dentistry down next. I'd probably repeat if I didn't get it though the prospect of repeating is horrible. I'd hate to have to go through this all over again...

Thanks so much!!!

My second option is genetics, but same boat, I'd repeat if I didn't get in. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Viola112

miissjuly wrote: »
    You are better off applying directly to the unis and sitting the tests.

Is it not more or less the same thing? Eunicas send out application forms and procedures and practice material for the entrance exams and then you apply through them or a university agent?

• Advertisement

Really good advice :) I find it so hard to just guess and move on if I've spent like 3 mins on a question, it's like the leaving cert brain kicking in... Would you tend to avoid the questions with really long passages and just do the ones with the least info first?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Viola112 wrote: »
    Really good advice :) I find it so hard to just guess and move on if I've spent like 3 mins on a question, it's like the leaving cert brain kicking in... Would you tend to avoid the questions with really long passages and just do the ones with the least info first?

Nope, I wouldn't. If anything the ones with really long passages are the ones which resemble reading comprehensions the most, whereas the short ones or the ones requiring a vast logical effort.

Another thing is to read the question - I got two questions wrong in Section 1 (of exam 9), because I didn't realise they were 'least likely' scenario questions.

(Please bare in mind I really have no idea what I am talking about)
    Thanks a million! :) That makes a lot of sense.

Out of interest, what are everyone's 2nd options? All I really want to do is med but I have dentistry down next. I'd probably repeat if I didn't get it though the prospect of repeating is horrible. I'd hate to have to go through this all over again...

I have Pharmacy down, bit different I know. Both hard courses with a lot of applications of science and working with people I suppose. I have no intentions of repeating, if I don't get it the first time I'm not good enough, in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Yeah you're right. I only know it's the case for UCD because half of us biomeds in UCD hope to skip premed and merge with the 2nd yr meds. There's such a divide between the two courses, it's hilarious.

That's very odd altogether! We don't share lectures with any other course so I suppose we wouldn't have much to do with Biomed people either!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

First Year Biomed in NUIG is more or less First Year Science so the idea seems foreign to me, I suppose in UCD ye'd do more medicine-y stuff such as anatomy and physiology and the like?

Yeah you're right. I only know it's the case for UCD because half of us biomeds in UCD hope to skip premed and merge with the 2nd yr meds. There's such a divide between the two courses, it's hilarious.

Do you mean skip pre-med and go into first med? Maybe I'm wrong but I couldn't see how it would be possible seen as first med and first year biomed are quite different. I could see how you could skip pre-med easily enough though as that's practically a year of undenominated science.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Holly_Rose

I have biomed in ucd down second but I'll probably take a year and repeat the hpat if I don't get it.

Its crazy how we could all end up getting 600ish points in the leaving and not get the course we want though. Someone said that doing bad in the hpat meant we're not good enough but I don't think we should let pick the middle sequences and 'If Mary is telling the truth and john is lying' questions tell us we're not cut out to be doctors.

I think the fact we're even putting ourselves through the torture of the whole thing shows our feckin commitment! Be grand lads lets kick some hpat balls!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LydiaCatherine

Do you mean skip pre-med and go into first med? Maybe I'm wrong but I couldn't see how it would be possible seen as first med and first year biomed are quite different. I could see how you could skip pre-med easily enough though as that's practically a year of undenominated science.

Yes. You'd be surprised how alike biomed and med are at Stage 1 level. This semester we have 4 out of our 6 modules with the premeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Chuck_Norris_

Has anyone done acer paper three? What scores did ye get in each section?

Did anyone else get their admission tickets? What centre is everybody in? :)

Ya I got mine today. I'm in the Kingfisher Hall in nui Galway, even though its usually in the Bailey Allen hall? You?

Ya I got mine today. I'm in the Kingfisher Hall in nui Galway, even though its usually in the Bailey Allen hall? You?

Ucd o'reilly hall, here's hoping it's a sign! :)

I'm in UCD as well :)

Me too! This sh*ts got real.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LydiaCatherine

wafture wrote: »
    I'm in UCD as well :)

UCD woop woop. O'reilly hall?

Are you allowed to bring in like a wrist stopwatch or does it have to be a normal one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

Where did you get your admission tickets from? Were they sent by post or email or what?

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    Where did you get your admission tickets from? Were they sent by post or email or what?

Email. Check your spam and if you don't get it in a couple of days you can just email them and they'll send it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

Holly_Rose wrote: »
    Email. Check your spam and if you don't get it in a couple of days you can just email them and they'll send it :)

Got it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

My second name is written in capital letters in the admission ticket, does that matter?

My second name is written in capital letters in the admission ticket, does that matter?

Mine is too, I doubt it matters though.

So is mine so I don't think we've anything to worry about :P

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Holly_Rose wrote: »
    So is mine so I don't think we've anything to worry about :P

Oh ok good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sportydotcom

anyone get RCSI ? Any idea how big or small the exam hall is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

RCSI here, haven't a clue what size the hall is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 jtaylol

Me too! This sh*ts got real.

Same here!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement