Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 uzzy_94

sunnydee wrote: »
    It's nearly 100% all in your head imo. If you're stressing out on the day, you won't get anywhere, regardless of how many hours you spent on practice exams etc. I know it's hard sitting there with 110 questions to do, and knowing that your whole entire career depends on it. But if you dwell on that in the exam, your concentration will go out the window. Yep I'm in college atm!

So what mindset should we be taking into the exam? And how should we minimise stress on the day? :)

Does anyone have any idea how to solve Q7,8,9 on the official ACER additional questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sunnydee

uzzy_94 wrote: »
    So what mindset should we be taking into the exam? And how should we minimise stress on the day? :)

Look, to be completely honest, I don't always exactly practise what I preach. I get easily stressed. Last year, I panicked. I was fairly young at the time and wan't prepared for the exam in general. When I came to the exam centre, I kind of got a shock to see the hundreds and hundreds of other students there, I mean it was paaaacked! Literally all through the exam I kept thinking, what are the chances? Looking around me and knowing that only 1 in 10 of us were going to make it. I just convinced myself that I wasn't going to be one of them...yeah, I'm as negative a person as you'll ever meet. This year I'm taking a different approach: Like, why not me? I've worked as hard as anyone else here. I'm not going to let everyone and everything else intimidate me. You need to always always always believe in yourself! If you don't, who will? You need to believe (not just think) that you can do this. Even if you feel awful on Saturday, keep smiling! Like during the exam, actually smile to yourself! You'll feel more comfortable and optimistic! Nothing worse that sitting there and thinking you're not adequate enough. If you're going for med, you obviously know you have the ability to get the points, and so you have just as good a chance as everyone else there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 BBHenry

I really do not feel stressed? It's so strange, I think I was more nervous for my mock exams really. I haven't done any prep courses either so it's certainly not that I feel prepared. Any advice on how beneficial studying will be three days before? I've done all the practice tests about 3 times over. I'm just avoiding all stress at any cost and attempting to keep my head clear for Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Flickka

uzzy_94 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea how to solve Q7,8,9 on the official ACER additional questions?

You can get the solutions to the ACER papers on the ME website ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Flickka wrote: »
    You can get the solutions to the ACER papers on the ME website ;)

They come with the papers anyway though .

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    They come with the papers anyway though .

Only for exam 1 & 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Riashin

andersio wrote: »
    Anyone in Goldsmith hall Trinity?

me. do you know what the exam centre is like?

I'll be in cork sitting mine .

• Registered Users Posts: 19 andersio

Riashin wrote: »
    me. do you know what the exam centre is like?
    Nope, anyone?

• Advertisement

Am i the only one going to really **** up S3?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

Nope, anyone?

I was in Trinity when I sat the exam last year, I found it grand as a venue during the exam. It was really packed prior to the exam, so just allow yourself a bit of time to find the right section for you and all that jazz. Best of luck on the day :)

Don't freak out over S3, if you get stuck eliminate the answers that you know are 100% wrong. Then you will end up with two or three options. Even if you can't get any further than that, guessing between two gives you much better odds than guessing between four or five.

Am i the only one going to really **** up S3?

Did you do a prep course , they're really easy once you know how to do them. Keep practising and you'll be ok.

No, i didn't. I will go true all S3 in the acer pratice tests today and go true all the solutions carefully.

I was in Trinity when I sat the exam last year, I found it grand as a venue during the exam. It was really packed prior to the exam, so just allow yourself a bit of time to find the right section for you and all that jazz. Best of luck on the day :)

Don't freak out over S3, if you get stuck eliminate the answers that you know are 100% wrong. Then you will end up with two or three options. Even if you can't get any further than that, guessing between two gives you much better odds than guessing between four or five.

Thanks, is it like packed between us during the exam? Can we just take the seat we want? Is it possible to go to the bathroom during the test (I have a bowell disease)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SuperSayian

For me it's third time lucky hopefully! :P get yer Nannas to light a candle for ye and ye will be grand! :L

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SuperSayian

Thanks, is it like packed between us during the exam? Can we just take the seat we want? Is it possible to go to the bathroom during the test (I have a bowell disease)

You can go to the bathroom, just be careful you don't trip! I've heard a few of the centres are packed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

My second time SuperSayian, was out of the running after interview stages last year :( Best of luck.

Andersio, I didn't feel that it was so packed that you can't move.Seats are assigned and yes you can go to the toilet but I think you have to put your hand up and wait for them to come to you (I THINK! I was too focused on the exam to pay much attention)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

BBHenry wrote: »
    I really do not feel stressed? It's so strange, I think I was more nervous for my mock exams really. I haven't done any prep courses either so it's certainly not that I feel prepared. Any advice on how beneficial studying will be three days before? I've done all the practice tests about 3 times over. I'm just avoiding all stress at any cost and attempting to keep my head clear for Saturday.

Haha! I'm the exact same! I don't feel one bit stressed. Kind of looking forward to it now which is weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Probably a stupid question but is there anywhere outside the test room to leave bags/mobile phones?? I'm in UCD O'Reilly hall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

Probably a stupid question but is there anywhere outside the test room to leave bags/mobile phones?? I'm in UCD O'Reilly hall

Yes I believe so. I was told that they will provide storage facilities for your belongings but you are advised to bring only essential items to the test centre.

On section 3 there is a question where I can see two possible solutions. Do you go with the simplest pattern ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ConorR32

Has anyone who's repeating been in RCSI, College Hall? And what time would you recommend to be there for , realistically?

ConorR32 wrote: »
    Has anyone who's repeating been in RCSI, College Hall? And what time would you recommend to be there for , realistically?

It tells you what time on your admission ticket . Mine says 9:45

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ericaosull

proudi wrote: »
    S1:20 S2:25 S3:29

I wasn't completely happy with the exam at all. Particularly with the mistakes throughout. One of the questions in section three wasn't doable because of it. I think my score is ok though, considering I felt horribly sick sitting the exam.

I think thats a very good score. Hopefully you are not sick during the exam. Personally i always find that mocks are harder than the real thing and they are never written by the people that write the exam! My mock exam had horribly written questions for S1 Q1-5 but overall it was a good run... Im not sure if your exam was the same as mine because it seems you were asked a different number of questions.... Anyway for me i got S1: 30/49 S2: 21/35 S3: 18/29... But i kind of messed up a few questions when i was filling thwm into the answer booklet.. Hopefully we'll do better in the real exam :)

Ericaosull wrote: »
    I think thats a very good score. Hopefully you are not sick during the exam. Personally i always find that mocks are harder than the real thing and they are never written by the people that write the exam! My mock exam had horribly written questions for S1 Q1-5 but overall it was a good run... Im not sure if your exam was the same as mine because it seems you were asked a different number of questions.... Anyway for me i got S1: 30/49 S2: 21/35 S3: 18/29... But i kind of messed up a few questions when i was filling thwm into the answer booklet.. Hopefully we'll do better in the real exam :)

Did you do career service mock or me?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ericaosull

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Did you do career service mock or me?

Career service :p it was really good but there were a few errors in the way the first few q's were written of Sec1

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

Anyone know exactly where the Kane building is in UCC? Is there parking around it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    Anyone know exactly where the Kane building is in UCC? Is there parking around it?

http://www.physics.ucc.ie/images/maincampusmap.png

• Advertisement

JDOC1996 wrote: »

I'm in Kane building too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement