Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Queeferz

I scored 181, 91st percentile.. Last year the 90th percentile scored 196, so confused whether to leave medicine on my cao or not!
    charlie165 wrote: »
    im cursing them and their reduction of points for section 3 :L you know like last year was it the case that you add up your 3 scores to get your result?

Same I would have scored a lot higher!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Ka_yl_ei_gh

I'm quite happy with my result :P the leaving cert will probably let me down :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 StewDent

Anybody know what the 82nd percentile was last year as a raw score? Trying to see would that have scrapped me in last year by the skin of my teeth and will be crossing fingers toes and everything else I have come August and CAO offers...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kdunne1992

Got 176 86th percentile. Third time round, not sure whether to be excited or disappointed, anyone here who's got 87th percentile? And if so what score was it? Also does anybody have an idea what the minimum percentile was for med in nuig last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 februaryair

Well, I did so much worse than I expected... Anybody know when they post the graph of the scores?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 ainedaly

I was just adding up the number of CAO places available for medicine?
    UCD 90
    TCD 123
    NUIG 120
    UCC 100 (couldnt find and exact number)
    RCSI 39 (not sure if this is right either)
    In total thats 472 places?
    Does anyone know if some of these places are allocated to Graduate and non EU students or are those spaces kept separate?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 scallway

Is 184 a good score this year? If it is 93rd percentile?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sal18c3

all the speculation of points going down is driving me crazy. Wish we had something to compare the results to

• Registered Users Posts: 8 D3MAND

180 is 90th percentile, points have to go down!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

My score from last year in down but the percentile is up by about 5%. Kind of confused to as what's going to happen now. Have my LC score already so unless the points take a serious tumble by about 10 points there's no hope. Some things just aren't meant to be I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Leavingcert179

Can you repeat the hpat without having to repeat the leaving cert next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jannev94

I got 166 last year and 53rd percentile. Got 164 this year which is 71st percentile so it's looking unlikely :( anyone know what percentile you needed for nuig last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pa95

I was looking at the graph from 2010 there, the 91st percentile was 181, exactly the same as this year. The points for that year also ranged between 731 and 719 (TCD and NUIG). That, of course, is without the 5 or 6 added on for HL maths. However, in recent years, I think the increase in HPAT scores has been the primary reason for the increase in points i.e in 2013, TCD was 747, a 16 point increase! i'd say only 6 or 7 of those can be attributed to the maths, at most. Therefore, this year, I don't think that it would be unreasonable to assume that there will be a points range of 725-740. However, as a wise man at the ME course once told me, to assume is to make an assof u and me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 scallway

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mog57

Yeah - somebody I know did and it worked out! You just need to make sure that you have sufficient leaving cert. points in the bag before you decide to repeat just the hpat - otherwise it can be too great of a risk :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Leavingcert179

Mog57 wrote: »
    Yeah - somebody I know did and it worked out! You just need too make sure that you have sufficient leaving cert. points in the bag before you decide to repeat just the hpat - otherwise it can be too great of a risk :/

I had heard a rumor that this year they were changing it?

jannev94 wrote: »
    I got 166 last year and 53rd percentile. Got 164 this year which is 71st percentile so it's looking unlikely :( anyone know what percentile you needed for nuig last year?

I'm not sure about NUIG, but last year a friend got 89th percentile and leaving cert. of 585 and that got them TCD... I know that doesn't answer your question but hopefully it might be of help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jannev94

I got 585 too! Thanks :)
    Mog57 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about NUIG, but last year a friend got 89th percentile and leaving cert. of 585 and that got them TCD... I know that doesn't answer your question but hopefully it might be of help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

71st percentile which is alright I suppose as I did not do ME or any other course but LC is not going to help :( can't believe this section 3 was my best out of all

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Murphy3

160 guys..what are the chances

• Advertisement

I had heard a rumor that this year they were changing it?

The last I checked they weren't - but then again - I don't work for ACER or any other governing body so wouldn't be able to give you a definite answer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Murphy3 wrote: »

Honestly I don't think its high enough for any of the colleges. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

Well F*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Sahil123

Right so I got 575 in the Leaving Cert last year and this time I got 174 in the HPAT. I know that isnt a great score but it says its the 84th percentile, so I'm guessing the scores for the HPAT are gone down this year.

Considering that its the 84th percentile and I got 575 in the leaving what do ye think are my chances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Ka_yl_ei_gh

With a HPAT score of 160, you'd nearly need 625 points but then you'd get like 725 (with reduced points) and I think the lowest for medicine that was last year was 739.
    Sahil123 wrote: »
    Right so I got 575 in the Leaving Cert last year and this time I got 174 in the HPAT. I know that isnt a great score but it says its the 84th percentile, so I'm guessing the scores for the HPAT are gone down this year.

Considering that its the 84th percentile and I got 575 in the leaving what do ye think are my chances?

That's like a combined score of 725 - 735, which is hard to call, maybe if the points drop a little?

With a HPAT score of 160, you'd nearly need 625 points but then you'd get like 725 (with reduced points) and I think the lowest for medicine that was last year was 739.

Yeah it wouldn't drop that low anyways id say . Fcuk :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Murphy3

Not easy to accept this level of disappointment but there you go :/ I'll probably opt to take a year out and repeat the hpat next year if it comes to that but may aswell remain hopeful sure who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Conly95 wrote: »
    I got 178,89th percentile and got 550 in my leaving,what are my chances like?
    Got 89th percentile last year and I would've been able to get into NUIG, RCSI and UCC with 550 last year, I would say it's definitely possible.
    Queeferz wrote: »
    I scored 181, 91st percentile.. Last year the 90th percentile scored 196, so confused whether to leave medicine on my cao or not!
    Definitely leave it on, only nine percent of people applying for medicine this year did better than you, you're definitely in with a great shot!
    StewDent wrote: »
    Anybody know what the 82nd percentile was last year as a raw score? Trying to see would that have scrapped me in last year by the skin of my teeth and will be crossing fingers toes and everything else I have come August and CAO offers...
    Can't say what 82nd was with absolute certainty but I know that 81st was 178.
    Kdunne1992 wrote: »
    Got 176 86th percentile. Third time round, not sure whether to be excited or disappointed, anyone here who's got 87th percentile? And if so what score was it? Also does anybody have an idea what the minimum percentile was for med in nuig last year?
    I think the lowest was a score of 175 and that was 68th percentile, though it was with a perfect LC! 86th percentile is great, well done!
    scallway wrote: »
    Is 184 a good score this year? If it is 93rd percentile?
    It's an excellent score. :)
    sal18c3 wrote: »
    all the speculation of points going down is driving me crazy. Wish we had something to compare the results to
    I really think, and probably sound like a broken record at this stage, that people need to stop comparing these results to last year's results. They really can't be compared because everything has changed! HPAT scores have fallen by quite a significant amount, if this had happened a couple of years ago then last year's scores would be more significant as there would probably be quite a few people with higher scores on lower percentiles re-applying, but with results only being valid for one year this isn't really a problem anymore. I would say that the person who compared these with the 2010 results which had similar results for similar percentiles has the right idea and I'd expect the points to be more like that, allowing for a roughly 5-point increase for Honours Maths.
    Sahil123 wrote: »

187 was the 84th percentile last year, it would have given you 542 so NUIG, RCSI and UCC (on random selection however) would have been possibilities for you. Obviously not a completely foolproof or perhaps even slightly accurate method but it's some kind of benchmark anyway! :)

Not easy to accept this level of disappointment but there you go :/ I'll probably opt to take a year out and repeat the hpat next year if it comes to that but may aswell remain hopeful sure who knows

Same here I won't get it with my score .
    The only other person I know doing it scored over 190 makes me feel like sh1t . Oh well , time to make decisions.
    Congrats to everyone who got what they needed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 AkiKk

Hey guys :)wow there's been such a huge drop its crazy. I'm in RCSI med atm, and I resat the hpat trying to transfer to UCD. I got 570 in my leaving, and 190 (89th percentile) and 193(97th percentile) this year...
    That's me exactly on the points for UCD last year, I missed out by 3, so hopefully....
    I think they should go down though tbh... fingers crossed..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement