Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Ka_yl_ei_gh

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Same here I won't get it with my score .
    The only other person I know doing it scored over 190 makes me feel like sh1t . Oh well , time to make decisions.
    Congrats to everyone who got what they needed :)

I know two people who got above 190 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I know two people who got above 190 :P

Yeah wow great scores . Can't say I'm not jealous

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

I have to admit thought I felt a bit of relief for getting over 100 :P

Anyway guys it's fine at least we can say we did our best.
    The hardest thing to do will be taking off the first 5 courses from my CAO. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ConorR32

Got 173, so 83rd percentile, don't know how to feel really. Bit dejected, because I realise my chances are pretty low. However, I must say, that was without much practice, I did two exams in full and that was it!

LC will most likely not top 550 points, if it did I'd be surprised! Bit of a waste year really, came into it extremely confident, then slacked off to the point where serious study only started about two weeks before the LC. REGRETS! Aghhh!

How did you all score wrt sections? I'm trying to gauge where I performed and where I didn't.

Well what do you all think anyway, should I wipe Med off the CAO? Anyone in the same boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Don't wipe Med off the CAO unless you think you're unlikely to get the rest of your choices.

You never know guys! :) A lot has been building up to this - it's only natural you feel the impact.

• Advertisement

51 days until results :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3 EmmaO25

With the 90th centile what are the minimum points that would be needed in an average year? It there a possibility with 540-550?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I have to admit thought I felt a bit of relief for getting over 100 :P

Anyway guys it's fine at least we can say we did our best.
    The hardest thing to do will be taking off the first 5 courses from my CAO. :o

Yeah I got over 100. About 40 points off what is needed . Just kicking in now .
    Hopefully nobody gets too upset or anything . You can always try again if that's what it takes.

EmmaO25 wrote: »
    With the 90th centile what are the minimum points that would be needed in an average year? It there a possibility with 540-550?

I think you'd need about 550 +, if the points didn't change from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 shakywaky

Does anybody know if you can hold onto your leaving cert results from this year, 2014, in order to repeat the HPAT next March? Have they changed the rule yet? thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 a1995

My total is 729 (last years LC+this years hpat) anyone know if I have a chance?? be honest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AkiKk

Does anyone know when acer are releasing their annual bell-curve thing? Or is it already out?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Iamtheduchess

Mixed feelings enough got 170 or 80th %ile. Not too bad but not good enough, reckon I've any chances? Also should one be considering 2010 points or 2011?
    Please be honest, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ryan95

Hi guys! This is my first time posting here, but I got a score of 184 which is the 93rd percentile and will hopefully get about 570/580 points. How good would you think my chancing of getting medicine in ucd would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 saadsharif206

Hi, this is my first post, btw. I got 183, which is in the 93rd percentile, does that mean the overall points have in general decreased or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RS2701

Hi, this is my first post, btw. I got 183, which is in the 93rd percentile, does that mean the overall points have in general decreased or anything?

The points for the HPAT have changed considerably, anyways. Last year I got 186, which was 83rd percentile; So you can see the drop in this year's results compared to last years for yourself.

How this will affect the points needed for entry in the various colleges is harder to tell, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 NImed

I got 230, 100th precentile, absolutly noo idea how, but over the moon as NI applicant so needed high score

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

NImed wrote: »
    I got 230, 100th precentile, absolutly noo idea how, but over the moon as NI applicant so needed high score

Jaysus well done :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 scallway

So does anyone feel like estimating what the minimum overall points would be this year in NUIG?

scallway wrote: »
    So does anyone feel like estimating what the minimum overall points would be this year in NUIG?

Well it was 741 last year. Normally the points go up by one or two each year for all colleges, however the drop in the HPAT results this year could mean they stay the same or maybe even drop.

A deal between NUIG and the Malaysian government that saw ~50 Malaysian students enter 1st med each year has ended recently, meaning there are more places available to Irish students coming through the CAO this year compared to previous years. I'd imagine this would decrease the points for entry as well but that's just me guessing.

Predicting the points for entry is always difficult, and sometimes not completely accurate as was the case last year when I was in your shoes.

It really is just a waiting game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 CianFed

Hi all!

Just wondering having got back the results there, what the individual scores per section are out of? So with the 40, 40, 20 percentages are the scores out of 120, 120, and 60? Or are they all out of 100?

Thanks and best of luck to everyone else :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 _Rebecca_H

Just wondering what's the story with repeating the hpat? Is it necessary to repeat the leaving cert also? I know on the hpat website it says that leaving cert and hpat points must be counted from the same year but it seems that some people repeat the hpat without repeating the leaving cert?

CianFed wrote: »
    Hi all!

Just wondering having got back the results there, what the individual scores per section are out of? So with the 40, 40, 20 percentages are the scores out of 120, 120, and 60? Or are they all out of 100?

Thanks and best of luck to everyone else :-)

The HPAT website says the score will be = [(2 x Section 1 + 2 x Section 2 + 1 x Section 3) ÷ 5] x 3,

So you can see that you still get a score out of 100 for each section, and not 120, 120, 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭cian casey

ainedaly wrote: »
    I was just adding up the number of CAO places available for medicine?
    UCD 90
    TCD 123
    NUIG 120
    UCC 100 (couldnt find and exact number)
    RCSI 39 (not sure if this is right either)
    In total thats 472 places?
    Does anyone know if some of these places are allocated to Graduate and non EU students or are those spaces kept separate?

I think grad places are separate, on the qualifax website it says 39 cao places for rcsi and 15 for mature students :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭otpmb

I'm a repeat and I got 170 down 12 from last year, bit disappointed and not sure if I will get in. Same percentile as last year though, points for medicine have to go down I think.

Also, I think about 500 less people applied for medicine this year, so everyone has more of a chance of getting medicine :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mog57

Is there any hope of getting in at all on the 85th percentile?! Just wondering - because otherwise I need to formulate a plan B and extinguish the hope for good! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jjC123

Does anyone know what the 98th percentile was last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

I've been left dumbfounded with my result. I'm honestly in shock. While I was practicing for my Hpat I had been scoring pretty highly, and was consistently getting in and around the 80th percentile and on one exam I managed to get 202. I won't tell you my result, but you can imagine my surprise when I opened my results this morning to find my dream has been absolutely shattered. I honestly have no idea what to do with regards to my CAO now, and I really don't feel like repeating that awful Hpat again. Anyway, congrats to all of you in the upper quartile and I wish you all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jjC123

Yes, you can as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 kmul

Guys I'm just going to say this- if you really want to do medicine theres a way to get it in to it. I got the points I needed in LC however repeated the HPAT this year and didn't get the score I needed. Ive accepted it and I'm preparing myself now to go to do medicine in a European college. I'm not repeating HPAT again, so I'm heading off in September, after 6 years I'll have the same degree as any Irish grad. Its the only way to go for me at this stage I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement