Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

kmul wrote: »
    Guys I'm just going to say this- if you really want to do medicine theres a way to get it in to it. I got the points I needed in LC however repeated the HPAT this year and didn't get the score I needed. Ive accepted it and I'm preparing myself now to go to do medicine in a European college. I'm not repeating HPAT again, so I'm heading off in September, after 6 years I'll have the same degree as any Irish grad. Its the only way to go for me at this stage I think.

Where are you going as a matter of interest? I might follow suit...

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

Guys I'm just going to say this- if you really want to do medicine theres a way to get it in to it. I got the points I needed in LC however repeated the HPAT this year and didn't get the score I needed. Ive accepted it and I'm preparing myself now to go to do medicine in a European college. I'm not repeating HPAT again, so I'm heading off in September, after 6 years I'll have the same degree as any Irish grad. Its the only way to go for me at this stage I think.

Me too hopefully!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Mog57 wrote: »
    Is there any hope of getting in at all on the 85th percentile?! Just wondering - because otherwise I need to formulate a plan B and extinguish the hope for good! :P

Very likely with a good LC, I got in last year on 83rd percentile :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sunnydee

90th percentile with a combined score of 732. Opinions of chances greatly appreciated!...?

sunnydee wrote: »
    90th percentile with a combined score of 732. Opinions of chances greatly appreciated!...?

Yeah you'll get it.

and seriously, why are people with 80th+ percentiles asking for their chances. YES, if you're in the top 20% you have a fantastic chance of getting in with a decent Leaving cert. (Sorry, I'm a bit bitter :L)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 kmul

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    Where are you going as a matter of interest? I might follow suit...

I have a few lined up: I didnt apply to Hungary, fees were far too much for me, but I have an offer from Riga Stradins-good university with direct flight from Dublin, and a lot of British students Ive heard. I plan on sending one or two applications to Bulgaria and a few other places just to see what other offers I'll get. Just a word of warning, if anyone does plan on applying, do it quick- a lot of application deadlines are mid July. If anyone wants any info feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭cian casey

Do people expect points to drop and if so by how much ??

I have a few lined up: I didnt apply to Hungary, fees were far too much for me, but I have an offer from Riga Stradins-good university with direct flight from Dublin, and a lot of British students Ive heard. I plan on sending one or two applications to Bulgaria and a few other places just to see what other offers I'll get. Just a word of warning, if anyone does plan on applying, do it quick- a lot of application deadlines are mid July. If anyone wants any info feel free to PM me.

Have you applied to Italy?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 h157

and seriously, why are people with 80th+ percentiles asking for their chances. YES, if you're in the top 20% you have a fantastic chance of getting in with a decent Leaving cert. (Sorry, I'm a bit bitter :L)

I feel your pain it's very, very irritating. I'd give my left arm for 86th percentile!!! (I'm at 76 :( )

Galway was 739 last year (correct me if I'm wrong!). So that would mean Galway would have to drop at least 7 points for me. Unlikely I'm thinking..

• Advertisement

Galway was 739 last year (correct me if I'm wrong!). So that would mean Galway would have to drop at least 7 points for me. Unlikely I'm thinking..

There's a very good chance points are going to drop by 10+ because there's 500 less applicants this year and the hpat scores have generally gone down, don't give up yet! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CiaraMT

So disappointed :( I know this is probably the last question people want to be answering but it's my last chance. I got 162, is there any chance the HEAR scheme could help me out? Thanks and congratulations to everyone who's happy with their results. To those who aren't I know how you feel. It may be a cliché but if it's for you it won't pass you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Ka_yl_ei_gh

I got a good HPAT score, but now I feel like a **** cause I was considering taking it off my CAO form last month, because my interest in Medicine dropped. And now I see everyone seeming really disappointed. :(

CiaraMT wrote: »
    So disappointed :( I know this is probably the last question people want to be answering but it's my last chance. I got 162, is there any chance the HEAR scheme could help me out? Thanks and congratulations to everyone who's happy with their results. To those who aren't I know how you feel. It may be a cliché but if it's for you it won't pass you.

I'm wondering the same thing. I got 167 but to be honest it's so competitive I think all HEAR can do is save a few from random selection :/

h157 wrote: »
    There's a very good chance points are going to drop by 10+ because there's 500 less applicants this year and the hpat scores have generally gone down, don't give up yet! :)

Thanks bud :) I hope you're happy with your scores :) I'm banking on a fairly borderline leaving of 565 and a hpat of 179, but I really don't see points dropping by 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

CiaraMT wrote: »

Honestly I'd say 162 is too low. I haven't heard of hear scheme reducing points for medicine because it's so competitive but I could be wrong .

For everyone who's feeling a big sh*t about results, chin up. If you really want it you'll get it at some stage in the future. Both my lc and hpat weren't great last year, average enough in both. Tough call to go off and repeat both, but now I'm up to 97th percentile in the Hpat and hopefully get a solid LC. If you're heart's set on it and you've missed it this year, give repeating a think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kmul

Have you applied to Italy?
    Nah, IMAT had to be done months back. Have you applied there?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CiaraMT

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Honestly I'd say 162 is too low. I haven't heard of hear scheme reducing points for medicine because it's so competitive but I could be wrong .

I can live in hope :)

Thanks bud :) I hope you're happy with your scores :) I'm banking on a fairly borderline leaving of 565 and a hpat of 179, but I really don't see points dropping by 7.

Nope, I'm absolutely devastated but sure what can you do :L the worst is I'm confident I'll have a great leaving but with 167 I'm not going anywhere. I genuinely believe points are going to drop a little though, I wouldn't want anyone who's in with a shot to be disheartened over less than ten points! Ye can do it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 _Rebecca_H

How likely do people think that the points will drop? Like looking at past years the points seem to just keep going up and up! Going down by 10+ points seems unlikely to me but it's the only way I'll get in now!

^ this year 97th percentile was around 193, last year 96th was 203, that is a significant drop..

Nope, I'm absolutely devastated but sure what can you do :L the worst is I'm confident I'll have a great leaving but with 167 I'm not going anywhere. I genuinely believe points are going to drop a little though, I wouldn't want anyone who's in with a shot to be disheartened over less than ten points! Ye can do it :)

Not trying to be negative but the points don't have to drop either . Plenty of people will still get the normal amount of points .10 points is a big drop for medicine !
    Anything is possible though !

^^ and there's less applicants this year aswell

^^ and there's less applicants this year aswell

So?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 _Rebecca_H

cian casey wrote: »
    ^ this year 97th percentile was around 193, last year 96th was 203, that is a significant drop..

Thanks for that! There may be hope so I suppose only time will tell

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    So?

So there's less demand. Demand for places is what drives the points up...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ellenw

Is Scotland the only place outside Ireland with reasonable fees? I know it's probably too late for this year but maybe next year I'm just thinking of any way at all I could get it.

ellenw wrote: »
    Is Scotland the only place outside Ireland with reasonable fees? I know it's probably too late for this year but maybe next year I'm just thinking of any way at all I could get it.

I've scotland as my back up, they've got some really good unis and the personal statement makes getting places a little less about grades

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 ellenw

cian casey wrote: »
    I've scotland as my back up, they've got some really good unis and the personal statement makes getting places a little less about grades

What did you make of the ukcat I'm thinking of doing it this summer now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement