Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭cian casey

ellenw wrote: »
    What did you make of the ukcat I'm thinking of doing it this summer now?

Well as a repeat I couldn't really re-apply to Scotland for med but this year I've medical science as a back up. UKCAT is a lot more manageable than the hpat, they only use it to cut off the bottom 25% as opposed to selecting the top 25% like they do here. They really don't like repeats applying for medicine though . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 7 NImed

Ukcat defs easier than hpat havin done both. When will the curve thing come out for this years hpat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

people that did the hpat last year do you know if we can use last year results? as far as i know the hpat result being valid for one year was introduced this year

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭otpmb

ahmdoda wrote: »
    people that did the hpat last year do you know if we can use last year results? as far as i know the hpat result being valid for one year was introduced this year

No we can't

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mog57

Very likely with a good LC, I got in last year on 83rd percentile :)

Thanks so much for the reply - I really appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 charlie165

This year: 191 = 96th percentile. Last year: 197 = 93rd percentile. I'll eat my hat if points don't drop by at least 5 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Viola112

LC of 595 (559 adjusted points) and in the 82nd percentile. Combined score of 731. Do ye think I have a chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RB94

Viola112 wrote: »
    LC of 595 (559 adjusted points) and in the 82nd percentile. Combined score of 731. Do ye think I have a chance?

I got in with 78th percentile (182) and 562 (adjusted) last year, so you should have a good chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Junokevv

Have people in fifth year been seriously studying for the HPAT?

I have the past papers and I've looked over them a few times but nothing major tbh, I've just been trying to do well in school tbh.

Also are all of you planning on doing lots of study for HPAT/LC over summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Iamtheduchess

How many people sat the HPAT this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭cian casey

With a score of 194 what's the lowest you could get to nearly "guarantee" a place in NUIG (LC was meh...).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sunnydee

cian casey wrote: »
    With a score of 194 what's the lowest you could get to nearly "guarantee" a place in NUIG (LC was meh...).

545 I think - providing NUIG points neither rise nor fall. I'd say they will fall by a few, so you're def safe with 545 anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Shanrahan

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    and seriously, why are people with 80th+ percentiles asking for their chances. YES, if you're in the top 20% you have a fantastic chance of getting in with a decent Leaving cert. (Sorry, I'm a bit bitter :L)

You're absolutely right! It is really annoying me all the people with 85+ percentile plus saying they've no chance! I got 81 percentile and I think I've a chance! I reckon 80 percentile is the borderline. My brother got in and was in the 79 percentile

Everyone calm down Ffs, there are 2500 people who sat the hpat this year. If you are 80+ percentile you are in the top 500. There are 5 universities so that's roughly 500 places! It doesn't matter about the points last year! If you got 80 percentile last you you would have got 184 or so. This year it's 170 so the points have to drop by about 10 points if not more! So calm your tits. If you got 75+ percentile youre still in the game! 80percentile is borderline and then it kinda depends on your leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kenney

Junokevv wrote: »
    Have people in fifth year been seriously studying for the HPAT?

I have the past papers and I've looked over them a few times but nothing major tbh, I've just been trying to do well in school tbh.

Also are all of you planning on doing lots of study for HPAT/LC over summer?

I wouldn't worry about it at this point, I started practising at Christmas 6th year. I did fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    and seriously, why are people with 80th+ percentiles asking for their chances. YES, if you're in the top 20% you have a fantastic chance of getting in with a decent Leaving cert. (Sorry, I'm a bit bitter :L)
    h157 wrote: »
    I feel your pain it's very, very irritating. I'd give my left arm for 86th percentile!!! (I'm at 76 :( )
    I completely sympathise, but if you were in their shoes, you might well be going "reassure me! reassure me!" as well. It's human nature, they're not doing it to be shítty! ;)
    sunnydee wrote: »
    Galway was 739 last year (correct me if I'm wrong!). So that would mean Galway would have to drop at least 7 points for me. Unlikely I'm thinking..
    I'm not much of a HPAT scores / med points analyst, but judging by what I'm seeing here to-day, certainly not impossible.

Shanrahan wrote: »
    Everyone calm down Ffs, there are 2500 people who sat the hpat this year. If you are 80+ percentile you are in the top 500. There are 5 universities so that's roughly 500 places! It doesn't matter about the points last year! If you got 80 percentile last you you would have got 184 or so. This year it's 170 so the points have to drop by about 10 points if not more! So calm your tits. If you got 75+ percentile youre still in the game! 80percentile is borderline and then it kinda depends on your leaving.

I'm sure almost half those places are taken up by students from abroad. In UCC anyway (100 places in 1st year med), I know there's around 50 Irish students, and 50 foreign students. So I'd say we're talking about 250-300 places tbh. Also people with high percentiles didn't necessarily get, or will get, high leaving cert points. I mean, the 90th percentile (179/180) and 550 will only get you around 730. That's about 10 points below last years minimum of 740. The points may well come down, but by 10 points is a bit of a stretch. Hence the worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kdunne1992

I'm pretty sure the places available shown on the websites of the colleges are for students who have come through the cao only so I think there would still be around 500 places!

I thought so too, but my friend in first year med in UCC says it's 50:50 in her year. Maybe that's only UCC though!

I'm sure almost half those places are taken up by students from abroad. In UCC anyway (100 places in 1st year med), I know there's around 50 Irish students, and 50 foreign students. So I'd say we're talking about 250-300 places tbh. Also people with high percentiles didn't necessarily get, or will get, high leaving cert points. I mean, the 90th percentile (179/180) and 550 will only get you around 730. That's about 10 points below last years minimum of 740. The points may well come down, but by 10 points is a bit of a stretch. Hence the worry.

But it doesn't matter about the foreign ones. Every year it's 75+ percentile gets in depending on thier l.c some people above 80 percentile won't get in and some below it will because of the leaving. The amount of Irish competition has reduced and the amount of Irish places will be the same. So there are only 250 people with over 180 (idk the exact percentile that could be slightl wrong) it not like there are people who are gonna take these places out of nowhere. It's all about percentiles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RB94

In UCC this year, there were about 90 Irish students and 30 international students.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CianFed

Shanrahan is right!

A lot of people seem to be worrying because of the drop in HPAT points, but its all about your percentile. A drop in HPAT points mean a corresponding drop in college points. So in other words if you have what seems like a low score but a high percentile then no need to panic! A high percentile means as long as you do a good leaving you should get in. It doesn't matter just because its medicine, the points can drop just like other courses if the demand for places is lowered, or in this case if HPAT points are lowered..

RB94 wrote: »
    In UCC this year, there were about 90 Irish students and 30 international students.

The 50:50 thing is just what one girl told me, it was probably just an exaggeration..I thought it was a bit high alright! I'm sorry that I'm being so negative here, but when you're so borderline, you don't want to get your hopes up at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 micoshea

I thought the 500 places were for Irish and EU applicants only. Otherwise, there would be a lot more places advertised. RCSI alone takes in around 260 internationals per year.
    If you do want to gauge how many points you will need to get into each college, just look up how many points your percentile ranking would have gotten you last year, then work out how many LC points you would need to get in on that score. And could we please stop with the 'I have X amount of points. Is it enough?' crap. It's getting boring.
    Apologies for being such a grump, but in my defense, I've been up since 5am.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SuperSayian

All the people who need to ask if they have a chance of getting into medicine with 90th+ percentile scores may need to reconsider their course choices if they don't know if it's adequate to gain entry.

To anyone who didn't get what they needed/wanted, it's not the end of the world. This is my third time doing it and I should get in this year :) If you really want to do medicine don't let this silly exam stop you. I mean, let's be honest here, it's funny how our aptitude for medicine can change from year to year :P If it's what's meant for you, it won't pass you by. Best of luck to anyone who decides to repeat and congrats to everyone who is happy with their results.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sal18c3

All the people who need to ask if they have a chance of getting into medicine with 90th+ percentile scores may need to reconsider their course choices if they don't know if it's adequate to gain entry.

To anyone who didn't get what they needed/wanted, it's not the end of the world. This is my third time doing it and I should get in this year :) If you really want to do medicine don't let this silly exam stop you. I mean, let's be honest here, it's funny how our aptitude for medicine can change from year to year :P If it's what's meant for you, it won't pass you by. Best of luck to anyone who decides to repeat and congrats to everyone who is happy with their results.

Are you just repeating hpat or have you done LC too.. If I get a good LC (about 580) and don't get med is it ok just to do hpat? What would you suggest from your experience?

I think you can just resit the HPATs. I'm not sure though, cause they've changed the system quite a bit. A friend of mine got into TCD last year by resitting the HPAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 itsmawadii

Okay I'm new to this, but I've been trying to follow everyones opinions on the way the points will go.

Basically, I've a leaving cert of 555, when readjusted is 551. I repeated the hpat and got 180 - which is the 90th percentile. This gives me an overall score of 731. If I had gotten the 90th percentile last year, which would have given me a hpat score of 194, my overall would be 745 (more than likely guaranteeing a place).

Seeing as many are saying the points don't matter, and it's only the percentiles that are important, wouldn't 731 this year be as good as 745 was last year?

I think that's what is causing the most confusion, because to me, getting the 90th percentile and having an overall score of 731 seems pretty low. There must be, I'm thinking, an overall drop of 10 points across the board for all colleges to accommodate these low scores.

I honestly have no idea, that's just my understanding of what I think is going on. It'd be great if someone could try clear this up Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

the hpat is an ass

• Advertisement

Look at posts 925 and 926, then go away. Yes, that is is a good way of working out your score. Aside from that, there's just no way of knowing how anyone did. At 90th percentile, you will probably be ok, but no one knows for sure what's going to happen, so don't go clogging up a forum with your uncertainties.
    Once again, I apologise for being a grumple (yes, grumple is a word). I'm sleep deprived and need to go to bed. Also, nice results.
    this was for #930

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement