Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 itsmawadii

Right okay, eh cheers for that..

• Registered Users Posts: 39 micoshea

Like I said, tired. Also, if you flick back through the last 5 pages of this forum, you will find a bazillion other people like you. It gets repetitive, and I'm on the lookout for the ACER distribution curve, so you kinda have to sieve through an aweful lot of people on the 101 percentile asking if they will get Galway. It's just not relevant and you could probably make an educated guess yourself. Aslo, did I mention that I'm tired.

You're grand, don't worry about it! I know it's clogging up the thread like mad, but the uncertainty and nerves are just unreal :L Thanks anyway!

Ahh, sure we're all a bit stressed out...

Are you happy with your results (if you don't mind me asking)..?

• Advertisement

Yup. 179. 90th percentile. Also, I have a conditional offer for Scotland, so I had a backup plan.

That's class! Congrats! Hopefully things will go our way come August :)

May the odds be ever in your favour

You too gal pal

So where are you hoping to go? (he said, clogging up the forum for everyone else with a combination of irrelevant comments and suffocating hipocrisy)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

ConorR32 wrote: »
    Got 173, so 83rd percentile, don't know how to feel really. Bit dejected, because I realise my chances are pretty low. However, I must say, that was without much practice, I did two exams in full and that was it!

LC will most likely not top 550 points, if it did I'd be surprised! Bit of a waste year really, came into it extremely confident, then slacked off to the point where serious study only started about two weeks before the LC. REGRETS! Aghhh!

How did you all score wrt sections? I'm trying to gauge where I performed and where I didn't.

Well what do you all think anyway, should I wipe Med off the CAO? Anyone in the same boat?

I feel you.. Started studying 2/3 weeks before LC I hate myself for it but I think you should leave med on CAO at least one, I'm going to do the same.

Also, gal pal?

Fingers crossed for UCC. If not Galway. I'm not pushed really, it doesn't put me up or down.

Yeah, just trying to lighten the mood. This has got to be the most desperate depressing thread on boards right now.

Sorry chicka.

Fair enough. Also, I'm not a gal. And hoping for TCD, although that's a bit ambitious at 179. Still, I'm just grateful to be in with a chance for Galway.

Didn't mean to offend. Apologies. Don't limit yourself, it's hardly ambitious with the 90th percentile.

itsmawadii wrote: »
    Yeah, just trying to lighten the mood. This has got to be the most desperate depressing thread on boards right now.

Sorry chicka.

You should take a look at the Edinburgh 2014 thread on TSR. A full month of people being rejected. Slowly.

Not particularly offended. In fairness, the majority of the people going for medicine are girls...

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭cian casey

micoshea wrote: »
    You should take a look at the Edinburgh 2014 thread on TSR. A full month of people being rejected. Slowly.

I was there last year, agony!

I got on the waiting list, which means they waited until the very last minute to reject me. The night before people started getting offers. Me and Edinburgh med admin, we are not friends.

Yeah, it looks painful alright. Some people really go overboard with the negativity. Like, I completely understand. I was there. This time last year. Crying in front of my computer screen, when I saw 60th percentile. But it is not the end of the world. *dang..hate to be so clichéd*

Well at least I got Glasgow and a decent HPAT score. Good for you sticking to the dream. Did you resit the LC too?

• Advertisement

No. I realise my LC points are nothing to brag about, seeing as most people here will be hitting the 600 mark, but I figured I'd take the chance. Knowing my luck though, even with a hpat score in the 90th percentile, I'll probably miss out by a point or two in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

I'm the definition of borderline here. 595 in the leaving from last year and the an 84th percentile from this year's HPAT. Was just one point off last year with a 80th percentile so I'm hoping that even with the loss of points from the HPAT the jump in percentiles will help me get a place somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Loup1995

Not to be annoying but I'm in at the 80th percentile and my parents seem to think I should be taking some med options off my cao , I'm worried my leaving won't go as plan , 80th percentile do you think the chances are low ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Loup1995 wrote: »
    Not to be annoying but I'm in at the 80th percentile and my parents seem to think I should be taking some med options off my cao , I'm worried my leaving won't go as plan , 80th percentile do you think the chances are low ?

Depends on the LC, last year the 80th percentile was 184 which would have been good enough to get you into Galway with an LC of 575. Definitely worth keeping on!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 h157

Does anyone know if it's possible to transfer into second year med from biomedical, health and life sciences at ucd? Or what is the best course to do this from? If you repeat the hpat and get the points for medicine, obviously. Or can a moderator direct me to a thread with the answer, I can't find one. Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Loup1995 wrote: »

Whatever you do, don't take med off your CAO. Keep it in the order it is now. If worst comes to worst and you miss out on med you will be offered the next course on the list that you have enough points for. So if you have all 5 medicines down and then biomedical science in NUIG as your sixth choice for example, miss the points for medicine but have enough for bio you will get bio. In case you are fortunate and have enough you will kick yourself for removing medicine.
    h157 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's possible to transfer into second year med from biomedical, health and life sciences at ucd? Or what is the best course to do this from? If you repeat the hpat and get the points for medicine, obviously. Or can a moderator direct me to a thread with the answer, I can't find one. Thanks in advance :)

As far as I know there are no courses where transfers between years in medicine is allowed. Everyone I know who moved into medicine from a different course had to start again in first year. This is including a few people who have a year or two in medicine already done in a different uni. They are quite strict on that front because there are important components that won't have been covered in allied health science courses.

Great, thanks. So if you start again in first year medicine do you pay the full fees, I think it's around 9 grand for the first year and then the free fees scheme kicks in for the following years? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

h157 wrote: »
    Great, thanks. So if you start again in first year medicine do you pay the full fees, I think it's around 9 grand for the first year and then the free fees scheme kicks in for the following years? :)

Yes. I moved into med in Trinity from another course after completing a year and had to pay the full fees for the year. But from second year on the 'free fees' thing comes in.

Taco Chips wrote: »
    Yes. I moved into med in Trinity from another course after completing a year and had to pay the full fees for the year. But from second year on the 'free fees' thing comes in.

Thanks very much this is extremely helpful! Did you find it hard to get a loan?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sunnydee

I know it's a ridiculous question to ask and there is absolutely no way of knowing, but anyone want to give a guess as to which way the points will go this year? I know many say they'll have to drop by at least 10, but am I the only one who finds this too good to be true? I'm thinking a drop of approx. 5 points..? Meaning you'd get in with 734 or higher.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement