Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 imsocool chillininda pool

the curve is up on hpat - acer website
    from comparing the curve to other years it's most like 2009. check if you would have gotten in that year as a guide. in 2009 points were in 723 (tcd) - 712 (nuig) bracket. they won't drop this much ( bonus points will add 5) i think over 730 should get nuig

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AkiKk

Taco Chips wrote: »
    Yes. I moved into med in Trinity from another course after completing a year and had to pay the full fees for the year. But from second year on the 'free fees' thing comes in.

I'm looking to move to UCD medicine after doing foundation year in RCSI. I wouldn't have to repeat the year(I had to do pre-med/foundation seeing as I didn't have the basis in chem or bio), and would be moving into first year as if starting the 5 year programme in UCD. I rang UCD a few times, and they told me that because I'd just be effectively continuing the same course, all of my free fees would continue to apply, even if it was in a different college?
    Has anyone been in the same boat, or have any information that would help me in this situation?
    Please and thankyou :)

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

h157 wrote: »
    Thanks very much this is extremely helpful! Did you find it hard to get a loan?

Financing that year was easily the most stressful thing I've ever done. Banks aren't inclined to loan med students money in first year. I was told pretty much in BOI that they don't give money to students so early in the course but if I came back next year it would be no problem. Some help when you're trying to pay to a deadline. Make sure you consider very carefully before signing up to a course. A lot of people take a year out and work to save up.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Hmm I had given up on undergrad entry to medicine and now it looks like the points might go down enough for my last years results to get me in.. However I haven't applied to the CAO. Do I have any options if points went down this year?

unless you sat the 2014 hpat and applied through cao already you have no chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Caolan

Total guess I would presume entry would drop by 5-10 points meaning anyone 730+ will be very close

I would look on it that there is nearly a guarantee that the points will not INCREASE - everything else will be knows come CAO points release day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FunTimess

i'm thinking anyone with over 730 should be safe. I'm guessing points will range from 728 (nuig) to 739 (tcd). Anyone have any other opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Shanrahan

I would say with nearly 100% certainty that the points WILL go down by around 10 points from last year. Ye need to think about it logically. Everyone has a lower a score, if you got 170 you're in the top 500 people . Competition for places isn't gonna come out of nowhere like! So if you got 75 percentile plus you are still in the game. Borderline is 80 percentile. Then it depends on your leaving cert. if you are in the 90 percentile plus you should be very confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Conly95

How many times can you sit the hpat, and does anyone know what the 89th percentile score was last year? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FunTimess

I got 89th percentile (178). I have an overall score of 740. What I did was check what 89th percentile was last year, which was around 190, so would have had an overall score of 752 last year, meaning I would have been safe. Hoping for trinity now but would be thrilled anywhere.

Sorry to all who didn't get the result they wanted, i am sure someday ye will earn what ye deserve. I know it's not any consolation, but there is much much more to life than just the hpat and medicine.
    Conly95 wrote: »
    How many times can you sit the hpat, and does anyone know what the 89th percentile score was last year? Thanks

Last year 194 was the 90th percentile, so i'm guessing 89th was somewhere between 190-193. You can sit it as many times as you like.

• Advertisement

FunTimess wrote: »
    Last year 194 was the 90th percentile, so i'm guessing 89th was somewhere between 190-193. You can sit it as many times as you like.

Thank you, I needed 189(~88th) last year for nuig and this year I got 178(89th) percentile..so I reckon it could go either way...I heard that nuig might be offering more places this year,do you know anything about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

To all of you who were unsuccessful, what's on your cao now? Trying to get mine together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 itsmawadii

Minimum points for UCC anyone?..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RS2701

Conly95 wrote: »
    Thank you, I needed 189(~88th) last year for nuig and this year I got 178(89th) percentile..so I reckon it could go either way...I heard that nuig might be offering more places this year,do you know anything about that?

I'm in med in NUIG, and there may be more places. Up until this year, NUIG got ~50 Malaysian students each year going into 1st Med. This year however, that arrangement is off. So some of those 50 places may be allocated to CAO applicants this year (maybe only for going straight to 1st Med though?), or they could just take in 50 less people as the classes can be on the big side sometimes.

It's too early to tell and it's up to NUIG to decide, but it could definitely influence the points this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Iamtheduchess

the curve is up on hpat - acer website
    from comparing the curve to other years it's most like 2009. check if you would have gotten in that year as a guide. in 2009 points were in 723 (tcd) - 712 (nuig) bracket. they won't drop this much ( bonus points will add 5) i think over 730 should get nuig

Sorry could you please post a link to this? I've looked and cannot find it.
    Thanks

boards wont let me - i have too few posts!

google acer hpat
    click the "results" option
    its at the bottom of the page :)

How many people sat the hapt this year and how many last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

RS2701 wrote: »
    I'm in med in NUIG, and there may be more places. Up until this year, NUIG got ~50 Malaysian students each year going into 1st Med. This year however, that arrangement is off. So some of those 50 places may be allocated to CAO applicants this year (maybe only for going straight to 1st Med though?), or they could just take in 50 less people as the classes can be on the big side sometimes.

It's too early to tell and it's up to NUIG to decide, but it could definitely influence the points this year.

Surely they just will take in 50 less people, the 50 Malaysian places were financed by the Malaysian Government, and the Irish government are unlikely to pay for 50 more places for no reason, meaning there's no funding for 50 more Irish/EU students.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 egg head

What's the worst you can do in HPAT and still have a hope of getting into Medicine, ie if you score low in HPAT, have excellent leaving cert results, and hopefully points for medicine will drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RS2701

egg head wrote: »
    What's the worst you can do in HPAT and still have a hope of getting into Medicine, ie if you score low in HPAT, have excellent leaving cert results, and hopefully points for medicine will drop.

Well, if the points for entry drop by 10 which really is best case scenario and a bit optimistic, and you get a perfect LC, then you would need 164 in the HPAT to make the cut for NUIG.

Than is the absolute best case scenario though, and won't apply to many at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

boards wont let me - i have too few posts!

google acer hpat
    click the "results" option
    its at the bottom of the page :)
    HPAT – Ireland 2014 Candidate Performance

(Am I linking the right thing? :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    To all of you who were unsuccessful, what's on your cao now? Trying to get mine together.

I feel like I did a good lc so dentistry and pharmacy and then some filler up courses that I would rather repeat than accept . Off topic lol

And yes randy linked the right thing .

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sillydog10

To add to the point's drop conversation my arm chair opinion is that they're going to drop by 12-14 points. Ok, for this I'll assume I have 560 points and a 90th percentile HPAT. Last year, if I had that, I'd have a total of 746 points (552+ 194), which safely gets you into NUIG (740) and UCC (742). This year that same HPAT percentile would give me 731. Also, even though people are assuming an inevitable points increase due to the fact that the last few years the points for medicine keep on going up they aren't taking into account the fact that the scores the HPAT percentiles give have also been increasing (I'm taking out of my behind here, but 190 was 85th last year, the year before 186 (I think?) was 85th). Just something to consider for all the people worried with 80+ percentiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I feel like I did a good lc so dentistry and pharmacy and then some filler up courses that I would rather repeat than accept . Off topic lol

And yes randy linked the right thing .

Dentistry is my back up plan! Provided the points don't shoot up to 595 and I miss out on random selection, I'll be in trinners! (If I miss out on Galway or Cork med that is.)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mollyoflafal

Hi, quick question. I had planned on doing medicine but then lost confidence and stopped working for Leaving cert so hard and paying attention to medicine. However, I still took the HPAT and ended up getting 192 in the 97th percentile.. now I'm obviously reconsidering. What kind of results would I need in the leaving to get medicine now?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 egg head

RS2701 wrote: »
    Well, if the points for entry drop by 10 which really is best case scenario and a bit optimistic, and you get a perfect LC, then you would need 164 in the HPAT to make the cut for NUIG.

Than is the absolute best case scenario though, and won't apply to many at all.

Thank you. I wonder did many students of last year pay for a recheck!!

Hi, quick question. I had planned on doing medicine but then lost confidence and stopped working for Leaving cert so hard and paying attention to medicine. However, I still took the HPAT and ended up getting 192 in the 97th percentile.. now I'm obviously reconsidering. What kind of results would I need in the leaving to get medicine now?

About 540 I'd reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SuperSayian

sal18c3 wrote: »
    Are you just repeating hpat or have you done LC too.. If I get a good LC (about 580) and don't get med is it ok just to do hpat? What would you suggest from your experience?

I did the LC too. I think there's no point in starting a course you've no real intention of finishing but it depends on the person. Personally, I wanted to repeat because if I ended up missing out on medicine by 1 point that I could have gotten in the LC I'd never forgive myself. So, if you're any bit like me I'd advise you to repeat the Leaving Cert too! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 itsmawadii

sillydog10 wrote: »
    To add to the point's drop conversation my arm chair opinion is that they're going to drop by 12-14 points. Ok, for this I'll assume I have 560 points and a 90th percentile HPAT. Last year, if I had that, I'd have a total of 746 points (552+ 194), which safely gets you into NUIG (740) and UCC (742). This year that same HPAT percentile would give me 731. Also, even though people are assuming an inevitable points increase due to the fact that the last few years the points for medicine keep on going up they aren't taking into account the fact that the scores the HPAT percentiles give have also been increasing (I'm taking out of my behind here, but 190 was 85th last year, the year before 186 (I think?) was 85th). Just something to consider for all the people worried with 80+ percentiles.

Like I want what you're saying to be true so bad. And when I was thinking about it too, it does make sense logically. A drop in 10-12 HPAT points across the board must mean a 10-12 point drop in entry points, right?

But here's what I'm also thinking:

Every year the overall CAO entry points have gone up for med.
    This can be attributed to the HPAT: every year, people are getting higher and higher HPAT scores. (Several years ago 175 was a very good score. Recently people needed around 190.)

People keep saying it's all about the HPAT percentiles, but the rising LC points also drive up overall entry points. Every year, because the overall CAO entry points have risen, the need to achieve 600 points or greater has risen. So more and more people are aiming for and achieving 600+ LC points. This trend is unlikely to change. More people will be getting nearer 600 LC points this year than the previous year, as has happened every year.

Therefore, although the HPAT scores have dropped 10-12 points, and I'm certain there will be an overall drop in entry points for medicine, will it really be a drop of 10-12 CAO points?

I've given myself a pain in my head from thinking and overthinking this. Can someone please just tell me I'm wrong? Cause if I'm wrong, why shouldn't the entry points come down by 10 points from last year?? I don't know how I'll last till August. I'll be completely tapped by the time the offers come out.

• Advertisement

itsmawadii wrote: »
    Like I want what you're saying to be true so bad. And when I was thinking about it too, it does make sense logically. A drop in 10-12 HPAT points across the board must mean a 10-12 point drop in entry points, right?

But here's what I'm also thinking:

Every year the overall CAO entry points have gone up for med.
    This can be attributed to the HPAT: every year, people are getting higher and higher HPAT scores. (Several years ago 175 was a very good score. Recently people needed around 190.)

People keep saying it's all about the HPAT percentiles, but the rising LC points also drive up overall entry points. Every year, because the overall CAO entry points have risen, the need to achieve 600 points or greater has risen. So more and more people are aiming for and achieving 600+ LC points. This trend is unlikely to change. More people will be getting nearer 600 LC points this year than the previous year, as has happened every year.

Therefore, although the HPAT scores have dropped 10-12 points, and I'm certain there will be an overall drop in entry points for medicine, will it really be a drop of 10-12 CAO points?

I've given myself a pain in my head from thinking and overthinking this. Can someone please just tell me I'm wrong? Cause if I'm wrong, why shouldn't the entry points come down by 10 points from last year?? I don't know how I'll last till August. I'll be completely tapped by the time the offers come out.

You wrong...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement