Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sillydog10

Hey,
    Does anyone on here know much about the DARE scheme and what the point reduction is really like? I have heard that more medicine applicants are on point reduction schemes (DARE, HEAR, Elite Athletes, etc.) than any other course applicants but as far as I can see no one on here is talking about it. The school said that the only person they've had with the dare scheme got into trinity while being 20 points short, So if any of you have more info about this I'd love to hear it.

They usually have a set amount of places for people on the dare scheme, right? Getting Trinity while being under the minimum by 20 points is bonkers, it would make sense if it was on a case by case basis though. You'd be well served emailing college registration, they'd have an answer for you surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 egg head

sillydog10 wrote: »
    They usually have a set amount of places for people on the dare scheme, right? Getting Trinity while being under the minimum by 20 points is bonkers, it would make sense if it was on a case by case basis though. You'd be well served emailing college registration, they'd have an answer for you surely.
    may not be bonkers ,probably get 10 % reduction

• Registered Users Posts: 5 johngalooly

You would be surprised. They have offered zero info on points, they have only told me how many places are offered to dare applicants in each college

• Registered Users Posts: 48 egg head

egg head wrote: »

Actually you're right, if that was in the days before hpat it wouldn't be that crazy. As well if it's only CAO points, 20 translates to 4 hpat points. The only person I know who got in through the dare scheme got into veterinary but she was 5 points under that year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 johngalooly

Actually you're right, if that was in the days before hpat it wouldn't be that crazy. As well if it's only CAO points, 20 translates to 4 hpat points. The only person I know who got in through the dare scheme got into veterinary but she was 5 points under that year.

Yeah you're right but all I've heard of so far is success stories with dare which doesn't give much indication as to where the cut off is and btw it was after the hpat she had about 720 when trinity was about 740

• Registered Users Posts: 10 charlie1653

Is anyone else in my position... did well in hpat - 191. I was hoping for close to 600 points but it was a bit far fetched. I always said the minimum I would get would be 550, but right now, 550 is looking amazing to me. So scared of getting 540 or under :/

Oh and by the way, does anyone know how many students sat the exam this year? I know it was 3000 in 2012 and 2500 last year.

Is anyone else in my position... did well in hpat - 191. I was hoping for close to 600 points but it was a bit far fetched. I always said the minimum I would get would be 550, but right now, 550 is looking amazing to me. So scared of getting 540 or under :/

Ah here now, if you've read any of the previous posts at all you'd see a lot of us are worried about getting in with 80th+. 191 is literally 12 points above 90th percentile the only way you don't get in is if you get 530. And on the amount of people who sat the exam, just read the posts from the previous page..

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭back to back

Oh and by the way, does anyone know how many students sat the exam this year? I know it was 3000 in 2012 and 2500 last year.

I should update my previous post on 31 july. since then i got the no. of "eligible "hpat candidates for the cao
    in 2008-candidates 2351.eligible =2351
    in 2009- " 2913. " =1665
    2010 " 3292 " =1885
    2011 " 3377 " =1781

the definition of" eligible" is greater than 480 points in lc

it think these figures are more relevant than my previous post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 itsmawadii

I should update my previous post on 31 july. since then i got the no. of "eligible "hpat candidates for the cao
    in 2009- " 2913. " =1665
    2010 " 3292 " =1885
    2011 " 3377 " =1781

Fair play for doing all this research! I'd be curious to hear your predictions with regards to points for this year..?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

in 2009- " 2913. " =1665
    2010 " 3292 " =1885
    2011 " 3377 " =1781

Where did you manage to get those figures?

Eligible candidates as a percentage of all candidates: 2009 - 57%; 2010 - 57%; 2011 - 53%. I'm very surprised that such a low number of those taking the Hpat scores above the threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

I'm borderline for Galway, but I'm not even sure I want to do med anymore. Realistic chance of getting in with a 82nd percentile HPAT and 595 in the LC (did it last year)?

woopah92 wrote: »
    I'm borderline for Galway, but I'm not even sure I want to do med anymore. Realistic chance of getting in with a 82nd percentile HPAT and 595 in the LC (did it last year)?
    So your total is 731? Realistically (by that I mean unless something insane happens on offers day) you have Galway and UCC. Just scale back the percentile you have to what you would have gotten with the same percentile last year and you'll see.

So your total is 731? Realistically (by that I mean unless something insane happens on offers day) you have Galway and UCC. Just scale back the percentile you have to what you would have gotten with the same percentile last year and you'll see.

Yeah 731.Hmmm Cork might not be so bad. I'd realistically love to stay in Dublin again but I think RCSI would be just a few points above me. Thanks btw.

Yeah 731.Hmmm Cork might not be so bad. I'd realistically love to stay in Dublin again but I think RCSI would be just a few points above me. Thanks btw.

UCC was 742 last year while RCSI was 741, right? With 82nd from last year you'd have gotten 746 so RCSI is definitely on the tables. I'm on the same boat as you so I'm very biased but tbh I'm not really twisting anything around nor ignoring anything to make myself feel better it's just the facts. UCD and Trinners are very much off the table unless again something crazy happens on CAO day.

UCC was 742 last year while RCSI was 741, right? With 82nd from last year you'd have gotten 746 so RCSI is definitely on the tables. I'm on the same boat as you so I'm very biased but tbh I'm not really twisting anything around nor ignoring anything to make myself feel better it's just the facts. UCD and Trinners are very much off the table unless again something crazy happens on CAO day.

Last year I was one off Galway so I should really just be grateful if I get anywhere this year. :P I never had trinity down and UCD was just a distant hope so I know they're both non runners.
    We could end up in the same college next year so!

Last year I was one off Galway so I should really just be grateful if I get anywhere this year. :P I never had trinity down and UCD was just a distant hope so I know they're both non runners.
    We could end up in the same college next year so!
    Ouch! I was well off last year so I just took everything off of my cao except my back up and went back to bed :L I have UCC number one, I'll have to get on to my nan on lighting a few candles for me that cao day doesn't go haywire, if I do manage to get it I'll keep an eye out for woopah92 ;)

Ouch! I was well off last year so I just took everything off of my cao except my back up and went back to bed :L I have UCC number one, I'll have to get on to my nan on lighting a few candles for me that cao day doesn't go haywire, if I do manage to get it I'll keep an eye out for woopah92 ;)

I wish I could do my CAO again from last year.
    I'm gonna need someone to light a fire for me if I want to get RCSI. :rolleyes: If we're both in UCC, I'll be that guy with the hair and face.

Where did you manage to get those figures?

Eligible candidates as a percentage of all candidates: 2009 - 57%; 2010 - 57%; 2011 - 53%. I'm very surprised that such a low number of those taking the Hpat scores above the threshold.

from national research group of higher eduacation authority for irish medical journal

from national research group of higher eduacation authority for irish medical journal

Has it been published?

• Advertisement

Has it been published?

yes .there are articles every so often over the hpat controvery in the irish medical journal over the last one to two years. I think the last one was by prof.fidelma dunne in ucg. there was another good one "entry to medical school. what's happening? " but I can't remember by who?
    if I can track it down .i'll pass it on.
    there is some interesting information in there e.g.
    in 2010.80%of repeat hpat improved on 2nd attempt .a third improved >10%
    in 2011 80% " " 36% " >10%

in 2010. 17% of successful candidates were repeats
    in 2011, 16% " " " " "
    in 2013 34% " " " " "

maximun hpat score in 2010 was 223
    " " " 2011 was 242
    " " " 2012 was 238
    " "" " 2013 was 222
    " " " 2014 was 217

yes .there are articles every so often over the hpat controvery in the irish medical journal over the last one to two years. I think the last one was by prof.fidelma dunne in ucg. there was another good one "entry to medical school. what's happening? " but I can't remember by who?

in 2011, 16% " " " " "
    in 2013 34% " " " " "

" " " 2011 was 242
    " " " 2012 was 238
    " "" " 2013 was 222
    " " " 2014 was 217

That's great, man. I actually know about the archive, so can check it out myself. Just wasn't sure how recently it was. Those improvements are startling. As is that a third of undergrad med places in 2013 went to repeaters :eek:
    That's great, man. I actually know about the archive, so can check it out myself. Just wasn't sure how recently it was. Those improvements are startling. As is that a third of undergrad med places in 2013 went to repeaters :eek:

Sincere apologies. I should have said: thanks to you, whatever gender you are! I dunno why I always assume people I talk to on Boards are guys.
    if I can track it down i'll pass it on.

I went looking and wasn't able to find the source of your data. Would really appreciate if you could find it for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 charlie1653

Ah here now, if you've read any of the previous posts at all you'd see a lot of us are worried about getting in with 80th+. 191 is literally 12 points above 90th percentile the only way you don't get in is if you get 530. And on the amount of people who sat the exam, just read the posts from the previous page..

Appreciate the reply! Better than roaming the internet and scratching my hair out. See I really want UCC. I used your method of scaling the percentile to what I would have got last year and it was 203, with 540 that would be 743 which is just 1 point over 742 for UCC last year, so 540 for me looks pretty borderline!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Newgirlmc

in 2011, 16% " " " " "
    in 2013 34% " " " " "

" " " 2011 was 242
    " " " 2012 was 238
    " "" " 2013 was 222
    " " " 2014 was 217

Are you sure of those numbers?
    I heard of someone getting 276 in 2013...

Newgirlmc wrote: »
    I think he means what 100th percentile was

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Newgirlmc

Predictions for the lowest Galway could be?

Predictions for the lowest Galway could be?
    I think Galway will realistically be 725/724 on random selection.

im only regurgitating the information i read in varies articles in irish medical journal. also research done by dr. martina hennessey tcd and dr. tony fitzgerald ucd or ucg (not sure which?) these docs were part of expert group given responsibility to make recommendations by higher education authority on changes to hpat .it is them that issued the reports in november 2012 and again in november 2013 .they will decide the fate of the hpat in nov 2014
    there is a another name but i cant remember her name she is prof. in cork.her papers were full of information .as soon as i track her down .i'll pass it on.

I think this is the paper back to back was citing: National research group evaluating revised entry mechanisms to medicine. It's a little bit disappointing in that it primarily interprets the data rather than presenting them. A typical example is the following excerpt:

"In 2010, one third of medical school entrants presented one Leaving Certificate result and a repeat HPAT-Ireland result. A similar trend was observed in 2011."

...i.e. one third of those who secured Medicine places in 2010 and 2011 repeated the Hpat but did not repeat the LC. By interpreting rather than presenting, it is unknown (to the reader) how many repeated both the Hpat and the LC.

back to back: that "one third" of places went to repeaters in 2010 (and 2011 - "a similar trend") would seem to contradict what you said in a previous post in which you gave the figure as 17%. Am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

I'v never heard of a score that high, would be pretty unbelievable tbh and I'm sure a bigger deal would have been made of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement