Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I got 580 in lc which is enough for med I think. Too bad my hpat went shîte .

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sillydog10

woopah92 wrote: »
    You guys really think they'll drop that low?
    Without a shadow of a doubt, it's not like we're saying that it'll drop down so that people with 60th in the hpat get in, if the raw score hadn't changed so much there wouldn't be much debate but the raw score from last year means nothing, its the percentiles that matter.

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I got 580 in lc which is enough for med I think. Too bad my hpat went shîte .
    I got 55th percentile last year so the room for improvement is massive, just give hpat as much time as possible(which is more than you could afford in lc). Also congards on the results!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

sillydog10 wrote: »
    Without a shadow of a doubt, it's not like we're saying that it'll drop down so that people with 60th in the hpat get in, if the raw score hadn't changed so much there wouldn't be much debate but the raw score from last year means nothing, its the percentiles that matter.

I'm thinking the high 720's though as a minimum. I'm not arguing though, it'd mean I'd get my first choice so I hope you're right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 itsmawadii

UCC, it'll suck if I don't get it since I already have my gaff sorted out (its literally minute away from Brookfield where most of the med lectures are on) since I've already done a year of college there, what about yourself?

Same here, deposit down on a house literally 3 minutes from Brookfield too! UCC is the closest college to home as well..I don't think I've ever even been to Galway, but that said I'll be bawling if I get an offer anywhere. What have you done this past year, if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement

I'm thinking the high 720's though as a minimum. I'm not arguing though, it'd mean I'd get my first choice so I hope you're right!
    Yeah I get what you mean but 729 was 744 last year!

I got 55th percentile last year so the room for improvement is massive, just give hpat as much time as possible(which is more than you could afford in lc). Also congards on the results!

Thanks. I want to try again because I was only 16 doing hpat and I feel like my age was a disadvantage to me . I think I will try dentistry and maybe do hpat during first year of college . Best of luck guys .im just glad I'll never have to do the lc again .

Yeah I get what you mean but 729 was 744 last year!

Oh really? So i'd be at like 746 then? But I doubt 731 is enough for UCD.

itsmawadii wrote: »
    Same here, deposit down on a house literally 3 minutes from Brookfield too! UCC is the closest college to home as well..I don't think I've ever even been to Galway, but that said I'll be bawling if I get an offer anywhere. What have you done this past year, if you don't mind me asking?
    Nice! I was doing process and chem eng, I always loved maths and chem in school so I went for it, the 100% employment rate from the course also influenced me a bit but tbh the course wasn't really for me, maths and physics in college was just so boring (and hard!) but most courses are crap in first year anyways, I got on to a few lectures in the department to get notes and general idea of what the course is like in the later years and it turned me off completely! No regrets though because if I end up in med I won't find myself being like "what if did end instead.." What did you do this year?

Nice! I was doing process and chem eng, I always loved maths and chem in school so I went for it, the 100% employment rate from the course also influenced me a bit but tbh the course wasn't really for me, maths and physics in college was just so boring (and hard!) but most courses are crap in first year anyways, I got on to a few lectures in the department to get notes and general idea of what the course is like in the later years and it turned me off completely! No regrets though because if I end up in med I won't find myself being like "what if did end instead.." What did you do this year?

Will it be expensive to swap course seeing as state only pays for fees once?

• Advertisement

Thanks. I want to try again because I was only 16 doing hpat and I feel like my age was a disadvantage to me . I think I will try dentistry and maybe do hpat during first year of college . Best of luck guys .im just glad I'll never have to do the lc again .
    Age apparently is a big disadvantage, I was 17 when I did it first, dentistry is perfect for next year because in first year (ucc anyways) they had such little hours compared to me, like literally 10 hours a week.

Will it be expensive to swap course seeing as state only pays for fees once?
    I'll have to pay full fees this year (around 6k I think) then after that its back to normal.

I'll have to pay full fees this year (around 6k I think) then after that its back to normal.

That's why I'm a bit dissapointed because I don't want to burden my parents who ultimately would be paying it.

But it is worth it . When you are a doctor you'll have that payed off in no time .

Good luck

That's why I'm a bit dissapointed because I don't want to burden my parents who ultimately would be paying it.

But it is worth it . When you are a doctor you'll have that payed off in no time .

Good luck
    Thanks, but an option to consider as well is deferring your place in dentistry for the year, I think the rule is that come the change of mid you have to have that and only that on your cao to get the place but by then you'd already know if med is on the cards or not.

Oh really? So i'd be at like 746 then? But I doubt 731 is enough for UCD.
    Yeah you would have been under it by a point last year, but that could be because people in the 2nd/3rd round turned it down, because the person from a page or two ago said she got offered UCC in the 2nd round even though she had 741 and the cut off for UCC was 742. Also, less people sat the exam this year which could make a point or two difference, who knows.

I missed out last year. I was thinking of taking a year out, planning to work and study for the hpat again. But then if I missed out again this year, I'd be back to square one :L So I went with pharmacy which was my second option. It's tough going, like the course is no joke. I don't have any regrets though, and there were some modules that I really liked, but I always knew deep down it wasn't for me and so I don't think I was ever 100% happy in it

I missed out last year. I was thinking of taking a year out, planning to work and study for the hpat again. But then if I missed out again this year, I'd be back to square one :L So I went went pharmacy which was my second option. It's tough going, like the course is no joke. I don't have any regrets though, and there were some modules that I really liked, but I always knew deep down it wasn't for me and so I don't think I was ever 100% happy in it
    The amount of work you pharmacists have to do is absolutely insane! My friend who's going into third year says that he's usually in the library until 10 most days. Granted everybody mightn't do that but still, that's just way too much for normal college time (as opposed to study month).

I missed out last year. I was thinking of taking a year out, planning to work and study for the hpat again. But then if I missed out again this year, I'd be back to square one :L So I went went pharmacy which was my second option. It's tough going, like the course is no joke. I don't have any regrets though, and there were some modules that I really liked, but I always knew deep down it wasn't for me and so I don't think I was ever 100% happy in it

Are you in trinity? I know a few people in there. It's meant to be such a tough course!

The amount of work you pharmacists have to do is absolutely insane! My friend who's going into third year says that he's usually in the library until 10 most days. Granted everybody mightn't do that but still, that's just way too much for normal college time (as opposed to study month).

Yeah the bant is 90..I think people (like I did) underestimate how hard it is, I'd say it's def up there with med anyway. Engineering is no soft course either..haha it's kind of funny to compare it to first year dents, they literally have zero hours

Yeah the bant is 90..I think people (like I did) underestimate how hard it is, I'd say it's def up there with med anyway. Engineering is no soft course either..haha it's kind of funny to compare it to first year dents, they literally have zero hours
    The few people I know who transferred to med after first year pharmacy said that pharmacy was way harder! Eng is tough enough but managable for the majority of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭back to back

wildmmman wrote: »
    Would it be possible for you to share your actual CAO points predictions - you seem to be the most well drilled person on this forum!

yes ,i will. as soon as i sort out "THE REQUIRED LC SCORE "as decribed on previous posts.

one thing i notice from todays lc results is the drop in no. getting A1 in maths .there is a reduction of 170 students getting A1 in maths
    reduction of 183 students getting A1 in biology
    reduction of 122 getting A1 in french
    reduction of 70 getting A1 in english
    reduction of 21 getting A1 in irish
    increase of 30 getting A1 in chemistry

remember there is increase in places also from 472 to 483

so i am tending towards an optimistic prediction

.but a prediction is only my subjective interpretation of the objective factual information on my previous posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

yes ,i will. as soon as i sort out "THE REQUIRED LC SCORE "as decribed on previous posts.

one thing i notice from todays lc results is the drop in no. getting A1 in maths .there is a reduction of 170 students getting A1 in maths
    reduction of 183 students getting A1 in biology
    reduction of 122 getting A1 in french
    reduction of 70 getting A1 in english
    reduction of 21 getting A1 in irish
    increase of 30 getting A1 in chemistry

remember there is increase in places also from 472 to 483

so i am tending towards an optimistic prediction

.but a prediction is only my subjective interpretation of the objective factual information on my previous posts

There was almost no change (0.3%) in numbers achieving Medicine points - 540*+. There was a 3% increase in those scoring 580*+, but that only equates to thirty people. Only the Higher Maths reduction, therefore, is potentially significant.

*Doesn't include BP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Kayleigh..

I got 742, but I'm stupid and took it off my CAO form, because I thought there was no hope in me getting the points.

**** my life..

Kayleigh.. wrote: »
    I got 742, but I'm stupid and took it off my CAO form, because I thought there was no hope in me getting the points.

**** my life..
    Dude...

Dude...

192 in the HPAT, 550 in the exam :mad::pac:

Kayleigh.. wrote: »
    192 in the HPAT, 550 in the exam :mad::pac:
    Not trying to rub salt in the wound here, but how could you ever think you'd not get it with a 192, which is like what..95th percentile?
    Edit: misread your comment, thought you said you didn't think you'd get in with the hpat, apologies. Sure if you can do it once you can do it twice!

Not trying to rub salt in the wound here, but how could you ever think you'd not get it with a 192, which is like what..95th percentile?

98th :rolleyes: but I got really bad points in the mocks, so I didn't expect to go up 130 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BilalRa

Guys, regarding the order of preference for our course choices, has anyone heard of someone being able to modify their course preference this late in the cycle. I know it is extremely way past the deadline, but only recently did I realise that my HPAT result might actually not be all that ****ty and that I could get a place >.<

I've also just submitted a query to CAO..

EDIT: CAO said i couldn't change them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 StewDent

Anyone who has done the Leaving Cert previously to this year, has your results showed up on your CAO application yet? I'm just a little paranoid they won't have my LC results from 2012 come offers day....

• Advertisement

StewDent wrote: »
    Anyone who has done the Leaving Cert previously to this year, has your results showed up on your CAO application yet? I'm just a little paranoid they won't have my LC results from 2012 come offers day....

Mine just says the year and my exam number from that year... If it doesn't show up I'll cry :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement