Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Daa95

StewDent wrote: »
    Anyone who has done the Leaving Cert previously to this year, has your results showed up on your CAO application yet? I'm just a little paranoid they won't have my LC results from 2012 come offers day....

mine just has my lc number and the year i sat it but they sent me out a letter from the cao with my points and list of choices did you get one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 StewDent

woopah92 wrote: »
    Mine just says the year and my exam number from that year... If it doesn't show up I'll cry :eek:

Ah right grand. I'm sure it's fine. I just can't remember at what stage they showed up when I did the LC first...

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Daa95 wrote: »
    mine just has my lc number and the year i sat it but they sent me out a letter from the cao with my points and list of choices did you get one?

I vaguely remember getting that letter too.. :p

Any idea when that thread that usually opens for predicting points for medicine/dentistry will be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 StewDent

Daa95 wrote: »

Was that recently or a couple of weeks back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Daa95

StewDent wrote: »
    Was that recently or a couple of weeks back?

not recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭back to back

There was almost no change (0.3%) in numbers achieving Medicine points - 540*. There a 3% increase in those scoring 580*+, but that only equates to thirty people. Only the Higher Maths reduction, therefore, is potentially significant.
    *Doesn't include BP

thanks for information .every bit helps in making prediction
    do you mean 0.3% of the 56,990 who sat the exam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

thanks for information .every bit helps in making prediction
    do you mean 0.3% of the 56,990 who sat the exam?

The numbers in the 540-600 bracket increased by 0.3%.

LC "Points Statistics" - 2014 | CAO

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Longford Lad 1995

I managed to get 7 A1's in the Leaving Cert this year and yet am very unlikely to get a place in Medicine this year thanks to the farce that is the HPAT.
    For all of you here well on the way to getting a place, spare a thought for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 anones1012

I managed to get 7 A1's in the Leaving Cert this year and yet am very unlikely to get a place in Medicine this year thanks to the farce that is the HPAT.

Would you have spared a thought for the person who's place you would have taken?

What was your HPAT score? There's always the option of repeating it if you're sure you want medicine..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Also got enough lc points for medicine this year but the hpat was a joke this year so I will miss out on a spot .

• Registered Users Posts: 14 anones1012

woopah92 wrote: »
    What was your HPAT score? There's always the option of repeating it if you're sure you want medicine..

The Hpat isn't something that is supposed to be repeatable. It is supposed to measure how good of a doctor you might be, you can't really change that. Yes you can practice and inflate results in standardized testing but I wouldn't suggest it, some poor fellow will be left out when you take the place he should have gotten.

Take what ever college course you get you are just as likely to enjoy it.

anones1012 wrote: »
    The Hpat isn't something that is supposed to be repeatable. It is supposed to measure how good of a doctor you might be, you can't really change that. Yes you can practice and inflate results in standardized testing but I wouldn't suggest it, some poor fellow will be left out when you take the place he should have gotten.

Well considering I was one point off medicine last year, and this year I should have my first choice, it's something that is clearly repeatable.. And no, it's not a measure of how good a doctor you'll be. It gives a slight indication at best. Does it test how you actually interact with people in real life? You can be as empathetic as you want on a piece of paper but will people be the same in real life? No, absolutely not.

And what about the poor fellow who really wants to do medicine but had a bad day on the HPAT exam day?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Viola112

Random question here, but the CAO have randomly added a 2014 leaving cert exam number to my application!? I did my LC in 2013 and that exam number is there too. The 2014 number has only gone up recently as it wasn't in any of my CAO letters throughout the year or online. Will I be able to ring up tomoro and get it taken off before Monday or should I be worried? 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

No offence, but the HPAT was put in place so as to prevent people with little emotional and logical aptitude getting in.

I'd imagine if you did get 7 A1s your HPAT should get you in - if not, you probably had to work harder than a lot of people for that result, so fair fücks to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sillydog10

anones1012 wrote: »

First of all the hpat is in no way a measure of how good a doctor you'll be, that's literally the biggest joke I've ever heard. So if you can't manage to stick the right cube in the middle of that sequence you'll be a horrible doctor? The hpat is very repeatable and I know you must be upset because you probably managed to get a very good lc without a chance of med because of this exam but there's no need to lash out on others/try egg people on here into a big flame war because it's just not fair on anyone. The exam exists to stop the trend of everyone getting in having 600+, it's there deal with it. There's no point winging and complaining about it because it's not going anywhere in at least the next two years anyways, what you should be doing is being like "this farce of an exam has f***ed me over big time. I'm going to make it my life next year and make it my b****".

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ryan95

First of all fair play for getting those results! If you don't mind me asking, how did you get on in the hpat? Because it's hard for anyone to know what's high enough to get into med this year since it's going to drop so maybe you shouldn't lose hope yet? Like with 625, couldn't a score in the 160s get you in this year? ( very approximate maths here, is nuig drops by 10, then it's 729-565 which is 164, but could always drop further?) js try be positive instead of concentrating on the frustration!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BilalRa

sillydog10 wrote: »
    what you should be doing is being like "this farce of an exam has f***ed me over big time. I'm going to make it my life next year and make it my b****".

Exactly.

Just got a reply from partymygaff, unfortunately there won't be a thread this year since (s)he's busy this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

No offence, but the HPAT was put in place so as to prevent people with little emotional and logical aptitude getting in.

I'd imagine if you did get 7 A1s your HPAT should get you in - if not, you probably had to work harder than a lot of people for that result, so fair fücks to you.

Maybe the HPAT was implemented for that purpose, but its success in that department is up for debate! :pac:
    Plenty of people with perfectly satisfactory emotional and logical aptitude don't do well in it, I know plenty of people in my class who repeated or scraped in by the skin of their teeth and doing a poor HPAT says nothing about their ability to be good doctors tbh! This isn't just at you AK it's at all the posts on this page with a similar viewpoint, could only quote one on my phone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭back to back

this year 2.9% of students got >550 points ( excluding BP)

in 2013 , 3% of students got >550 points

hence there is a REDUCTION of .1% of students this year (i.e.55 students )

all pointing towards an optimistic prediction with the reduction in no. in A1 in hons maths

this year 2.9% of students got >550 points ( excluding BP)

in 2013 , 3% of students got >550 points

hence there is a REDUCTION of .1% of students this year (i.e.55 students )

all pointing towards an optimistic prediction with the reduction in no. in A1 in hons maths

Check your stats, man. Number getting 550+ decreased by three. You possibly made a calculation error because of not factoring-in the extra 1300 CAO applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Slow Show wrote: »
    Maybe the HPAT was implemented for that purpose, but its success in that department is up for debate! :pac:
    Plenty of people with perfectly satisfactory emotional and logical aptitude don't do well in it, I know plenty of people in my class who repeated or scraped in by the skin of their teeth and doing a poor HPAT says nothing about their ability to be good doctors tbh! This isn't just at you AK it's at all the posts on this page with a similar viewpoint, could only quote one on my phone!
    Yeah no bother Slow Show :p

I think it's definitely more effective than just a simple points based system (mind you I am rather biased :pac:). I think the issue with people repeating would be solved if ACER gave out some interactive online practice material, for free.

As it is now, students with money can afford to shell out to gain an advantage (I did ME).

People forget that LC results fluctuate quite a bit too.

Anyway, plenty of people with great HPATs get caught out by the LC - a friend got 95th percentile, but I guess a combination of bad luck and lack of work bit them in the end. Another friend got 77th (she didn't do a prep course), but got 625. I'd imagine if she had done more than just the one shïte ACER practice test she would've done much better - this is the fundamental issue that needs solving imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Yeah no bother Slow Show :p

I think it's definitely more effective than just a simple points based system (mind you I am rather biased :pac:). I think the issue with people repeating would be solved if ACER gave out some interactive online practice material, for free.

As it is now, students with money can afford to shell out to gain an advantage (I did ME).

People forget that LC results fluctuate quite a bit too.

Anyway, plenty of people with great HPATs get caught out by the LC - a friend got 95th percentile, but I guess a combination of bad luck and lack of work bit them in the end. Another friend got 77th (she didn't do a prep course), but got 625. I'd imagine if she had done more than just the one shïte ACER practice test she would've done much better - this is the fundamental issue that needs solving imo.

I know 75th and 625 would get someone into NUIG last year so fingers crossed for your friend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BilalRa

I think the issue with people repeating would be solved if ACER gave out some interactive online practice material, for free.

AI'd imagine if she had done more than just the one shïte ACER practice test she would've done much better - this is the fundamental issue that needs solving imo.

I agree with you 100%. ACER provides you with 3 mock exams on their website >.> hardly enough to get a decent amount of preparation from. In the UK we have the UKCAT, and it is an aptitude test much like the HPAT. However, unlike the HPAT there are many resources available to help prepare for the UKCAT. With a month's worth of preparation from a £20.00 textbook I was able to get an above average score for the UKCAT. If we had access to the same resources for the HPAT, it would help the average candidate a great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 imsocool chillininda pool

"I think the issue with people repeating would be solved if ACER gave out some interactive online practice material, for free."

I don't think this will ever happen. The point of the hpat is to give us a test which we "can't study for" i.e. something totally different to the lc. If ACER gives out more and more practice material it further undermines their test.

The only fair way to reduce the amount of people repeating the hpat is to modify the rules so that you have to sit hpat and lc in the same year. In 2010 out of 434 places 111 were taken by people who repeated hpat in their first year of college. it is very unfair to people who can't pay the fees to change course, and who have to do both exams the same year. It also leaves an empty place on (usually) a cracking course.

I thought there would be way more discussion on here about the questions on our hpat which the ME course people had seen already. With places for medicine coveted I expected someone to sue ACER for the unfairness!

"I think the issue with people repeating would be solved if ACER gave out some interactive online practice material, for free."

I don't think this will ever happen. The point of the hpat is to give us a test which we "can't study for" i.e. something totally different to the lc. If ACER gives out more and more practice material it further undermines their test.

But, it can be! A third of those who repeated the test in 2010 improved by >10%. By not publishing material, it favours those who can pay for it. It was for that reason that past papers are published; before that, those whose teachers collected the papers were at a distinct advantage.

The only fair way to reduce the amount of people repeating the hpat is to modify the rules so that you have to sit hpat and lc in the same year. In 2010 out of 434 places 111 were taken by people who repeated hpat in their first year of college. it is very unfair to people who can't pay the fees to change course, and who have to do both exams the same year. It also leaves an empty place on (usually) a cracking course.

I thought there would be way more discussion on here about the questions on our hpat which the ME course people had seen already. With places for medicine coveted I expected someone to sue ACER for the unfairness!

The questions that were on previous med entry papers were excluded from marking, so the people that already did the questions didn't gain anything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

sillydog10 wrote: »
    The questions that were on previous med entry papers were excluded from marking, so the people that already did the questions didn't gain anything

Not true . I respect your opinion but consider my perspective.
    What if I spent more time doing those questions than the others ?
    What if they were the ones I got right because I spent more time doing them.
    What about the people who's plan was not to answer every question and did those ones instead of other ones ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Ryan95

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Not true . I respect your opinion but consider my perspective.
    What if I spent more time doing those questions than the others ?
    What if they were the ones I got right because I spent more time doing them.
    What about the people who's plan was not to answer every question and did those ones instead of other ones ?
    I have to say I totally agree, I did med entry and happened to look over that exam a few days before the hpat and had the answers memorised because of it, when I saw those questions, I answered them all in about 2mins, giving me and many others an unfair advantage, although this worked to my advantage I do think it's an absolute disgrace

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement