Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mog57

My med dream is over this year I'm afraid! I only got 555 in the LC - significantly lower than I was hoping for. However my question is this: has anybody gotten medicine on a LC of 555 before? - i.e should I be repeating HPAT and LC or just HPAT? How risky would you guys think it would be just to go for the HPAT repeat? I got the 85th percentile this year, so will probably miss med by between 3-7 points. Just wondering if anyone has any opinion RE my position or has heard of anyone getting in on 555 before? Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Slow Show wrote: »
    I know 75th and 625 would get someone into NUIG last year so fingers crossed for your friend. :)

Yeah she's quietly confident :)
    "I think the issue with people repeating would be solved if ACER gave out some interactive online practice material, for free."

I don't think this will ever happen. The point of the hpat is to give us a test which we "can't study for" i.e. something totally different to the lc. If ACER gives out more and more practice material it further undermines their test.

Well, you can't study for it per se - it's all about building up technique. Section 3 was the only one I really improved on - fortunately that's only 20% now.
    Mog57 wrote: »
    My med dream is over this year I'm afraid! I only got 555 in the LC - significantly lower than I was hoping for. However my question is this: has anybody gotten medicine on a LC of 555 before? - i.e should I be repeating HPAT and LC or just HPAT? How risky would you guys think it would be just to go for the HPAT repeat? I got the 85th percentile this year, so will probably miss med by between 3-7 points. Just wondering if anyone has any opinion RE my position or has heard of anyone getting in on 555 before? Thanks in advance :)

At the UCC open day, the presentation claimed 540 was the lowest someone got in with last year (of course if one got say, 210 in the 2013 HPAT lower points would be possible, however such a combination didn't occur) :)

If the points weren't rescaled past 550 I'd say you were playing with fire. However you are only 14 off 625! Kinda hard to justify repeating for that.

I'd say repeat the HPAT and keep your 2014 LC, but make the most of the course you're going to get :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mog57

Yeah she's quietly confident :)

At the UCC open day, the presentation claimed 540 was the lowest someone got in with last year (of course if one got say, 210 in the 2013 HPAT lower points would be possible, however such a combination didn't occur) :)

If the points weren't rescaled past 550 I'd say you were playing with fire. However you are only 14 off 625! Kinda hard to justify repeating for that.

I'd say repeat the HPAT and keep your 2014 LC, but make the most of the course you're going to get :)
    Thanks a million for input - I have a lot of thinking to do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sillydog10

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Not true . I respect your opinion but consider my perspective.
    What if I spent more time doing those questions than the others ?
    What if they were the ones I got right because I spent more time doing them.
    What about the people who's plan was not to answer every question and did those ones instead of other ones ?
    The questions that were on ******** were excluded from the marking, there's a medical times article about it I think, it was posted when the hpat came out can't get the article right now since I'm on mobile but you're right you are at a compete disadvantage without a prep course but tbh I don't get why people don't do them, any one I've know who sat the exam didn't just stick with the Acer papers and j don't know why you would, they're ridiculously easy and there's not much of them. You practice hpat by repeating similarly styled questions over and over. It's not like ******** is the only course though, there's way more around so you don't have to pay the 200 quid or whatever it is for the practice material. I don't get the issue with the money because its your future, so the money for it is nothing in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

sillydog10 wrote: »
    The questions that were on ******** were excluded from the marking, there's a medical times article about it I think, it was posted when the hpat came out can't get the article right now since I'm on mobile but you're right you are at a compete disadvantage without a prep course but tbh I don't get why people don't do them, any one I've know who sat the exam didn't just stick with the Acer papers and j don't know why you would, they're ridiculously easy and there's not much of them. You practice hpat by repeating similarly styled questions over and over. It's not like ******** is the only course though, there's way more around so you don't have to pay the 200 quid or whatever it is for the practice material. I don't get the issue with the money because its your future, so the money for it is nothing in the long run.

This has nothing to do with my post though . Where did I mention money ?
    Even though the questions were removed its still unfair because of the points I made in my last post .

• Advertisement

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with my post though . Where did I mention money ?
    Even though the questions were removed its still unfair because of the points I made in my last post .

Sorry I went a bit OT there, but why didn't you do a course like med entry? You're right though without a course you're at an insane disadvantage but did you know that before the exam? It sucks that the only way to get decent practice materials is to pay but that's how the system is now because Acer refuse to put out decent practice material. So you're basically stuck with a decision to shell out money to a course or go in with your hand tied behind you're back, which is just so **** but that's how it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 itsmawadii

Mog57 wrote: »

Take it easy there kiddo, don't go counting your chickens. 555 isn't a bad LC, and the 85th percentile isn't shabby either. I obviously don't want to put anyone's hopes up, but wait till Monday and then you can start thinking about next year. It's hard to see the points dropping by 14 or 15, but I would not be surprised in the least if they did. The 90th percentile last year was 194, this year it's 179. A 15 point drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Header15

Finished up on 730. Quietly optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Namzi

Hey guys I'm new to the board but I had to join cause I've been wrecking my head. I ended up with 738 over all. 590 leaving cert and 180 hpat. Admittedly the hpat score was disappointing esp cause I was in the 91st percentile!!
    Do you think I have any hope for even Galway, with the low hpat scores we might see a drop in points for medicine but it's risky. I'm a repeat student so I don't have any other chances. I've got a place in Hungary for medicine but I don't wanna go!! Help please

• Registered Users Posts: 14 anones1012

Namzi wrote: »
    Hey guys I'm new to the board but I had to join cause I've been wrecking my head. I ended up with 738 over all. 590 leaving cert and 180 hpat. Admittedly the hpat score was disappointing esp cause I was in the 91st percentile!!
    Do you think I have any hope for even Galway, with the low hpat scores we might see a drop in points for medicine but it's risky. I'm a repeat student so I don't have any other chances. I've got a place in Hungary for medicine but I don't wanna go!! Help please

People like you shouldn't become doctors..

• Advertisement

Ah Jaysus lad

738.. Are you taking the piss....

738.. Are you taking the piss....

Ha acc I'm a girl to the above poster, and why shouldn't I become a doctor? It's actually a family tradition. I'm sorry that I've been out if the loop with predictions but the points were 739 last year so technically I'm a point low

I don't even know what to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TheKitchenSink

I have 733 with ucc as first choice, judging by predictions I should get it but it just seems so unmedicine like for points to drop

Ha acc I'm a girl to the above poster, and why shouldn't I become a doctor? It's actually a family tradition. I'm sorry that I've been out if the loop with predictions but the points were 739 last year so technically I'm a point low
    I didn't say that, the other lad did. Well if you realised that 90th percentile last year was 194, you'd realise you have trinity by at least 4/5 points so you can understand why that pisses off some of the other people on the forum who didn't get on so well in the exam

I have 733 with ucc as first choice, judging by predictions I should get it but it just seems so unmedicine like for points to drop
    That's because this is the first time the raw score percentiles gave dropped, the last few years it's been increasing but raw scores means nothing its the percentiles that'll give you a fairly reliable way to predict whether you'll get it or not

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ryan95

Technically you're a point short for nuig, but technically this is 2014 and a whole new ball game, you may be the only hopefully unaware that it's about to drop by around 10?? Realistically 8-15 points drop, so relax and stop giving yourself useless wrinkles -_-

I didn't say that, the other lad did. Well if you realised that 90th percentile last year was 194, you'd realise you have trinity by at least 4/5 points so you can understand why that pisses off some of the other people on the forum who didn't get on so well in the exam

Oh I'm so sorry then, believe me I know how it feels I lost medicine by 20 points last year and I'm pretty sure I was depressed repeating the hpat AND the LC. Like I said I've been out of the loop since the results due to illness. Thanks for that information, I hope that's the case!

If I actually get med I know for a fact that I'll spend my first lecture looking around trying to guess who the people posting on this thread are

• Advertisement

If I actually get med I know for a fact that I'll spend my first lecture looking around trying to guess who the people posting on this thread are

Ahahaha same
    I didn't say that, the other lad did.

Not a lad either

Those were my sentiments also, I would have never envisioned a drop in points for medicine, but considering the info I got here I'm starting to believe it could really be possible.

Those were my sentiments also, I would have never envisioned a drop in points for medicine, but considering the info I got here I'm starting to believe it could really be possible.

I got 92nd percentile with 182 like so hpat points are clearly well down, I'm just afraid that that means that this year points will favour people with high lc points rather than high hpat percentile a (the opposite to most people) I only got 555 which I'm delighted with but is reasonably low for someone doing med I'd imagine

I got 92nd percentile with 182 like so hpat points are clearly well down, I'm just afraid that that means that this year points will favour people with high lc points rather than high hpat percentile a (the opposite to most people) I only got 555 which I'm delighted with but is reasonably low for someone doing med I'd imagine

I just read back a few pages on this board and apparently according to predictions we've both got pretty great chances. Best of luck mate! You sound like you really want it.

itsmawadii wrote: »

Not a lad either
    Everyone is a man on the internet until proven otherwise
    http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lv45cimRhT1qci0cso2_500.gif

I'll be the brown lad with the shaved head if I'm around any college!

I'll be the brown lad with the shaved head if I'm around any college!
    You sound an awful lot like Christopher Turk.. We shall be great friends

You sound an awful lot like Christopher Turk.. We shall be great friends

Not black enough for that unfortunately :( on another note when there was a lull in posts a few weeks ago I rewatched all of scrubs except the med school season, that **** is horrible.

Not black enough for that unfortunately :( on another note when there was a lull in posts a few weeks ago I rewatched all of scrubs except the med school season, that **** is horrible.

I'm in the process of rewatching all of scrubs.. As a result my expectations for life as a medical practitioner are sky high

• Advertisement

I'm in the process of rewatching all of scrubs.. As a result my expectations for life as a medical practitioner are sky high
    Well it is the most realistic medical show ever created

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement