Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TheKitchenSink

sillydog10 wrote: »
    Well it is the most realistic medical show ever created

Which isn't saying much, greys anatomy once featured a man blowing his brain down his nose

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sillydog10

Which isn't saying much, greys anatomy once featured a man blowing his brain down his nose
    Always hated that show..

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭kb98

Do any of you think the HPAT will be dropped in the coming years?

kb98 wrote: »
    Do any of you think the HPAT will be dropped in the coming years?
    It seems that it could be but tbh there's no way they'd go back to having it just lc points, since Ireland was the only English speaking country where you could get med just on the basis of your secondary school results. Maybe an interview system, with an another admissions test? Who knows

I think it's being reviewed sometime soon, I doubt if they'll scrap it but even if they do I imagine they'll replace it with something similar

• Advertisement

Im doing my leaving cert in 2016, just unsure if it will be around by then

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭back to back

Check your stats, man. Number getting 550+ decreased by three. You possibly made a calculation error because of not factoring-in the extra 1300 CAO applicants.

what number of students got > 550 in 2013 versus 2014 excluding bonus maths

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

Ain't no more accurate show to portray how doctors interact with other doctors, if you catch my drift ;) ... (or med students with other med students for that matter)

comeclosa wrote: »
    Ain't no more accurate show to portray how doctors interact with other doctors, if you catch my drift ;) ... (or med students with other med students for that matter)
    Sounds good to me.. As dr cox said "I became a doctor for the same 4 reasons as everybody else: chicks money power and chicks"

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Isn't Greys Anatomy a documentary series?

• Advertisement

woopah92 wrote: »
    Isn't Greys Anatomy a documentary series?

No you're thinking of 50 shades of gray

No you're thinking of 50 shades of gray

Always get those two confused, goddammit.

If you don't get the points for medicine would you be better off doing a science related course and transferring to medicine/finish it and do graduate med or repeating the leaving cert?

If you don't get the points for medicine would you be better off doing a science related course and transferring to medicine/finish it and do graduate med or repeating the leaving cert?

Repeat unless you want to spend 60k on graduate entry

Repeat unless you want to spend 60k on graduate entry

Good point

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jjC123

I'd say repeat, it will be cheaper in the long run. However, if you already have 550/560+ points, I would just repeat the Hpat and work for the year. If you still don't get it you can do science and maybe go down the grad route anyway with some cash saved.

jjC123 wrote: »
    I'd say repeat, it will be cheaper in the long run. However, if you already have 550/560+ points, I would just repeat the Hpat and work for the year. If you still don't get it you can do science and maybe go down the grad route anyway with some cash saved.

I haven't done the leaving cert yet but im aiming for around 560-580 so yeah I'd probably just repeat the HPAT.

Likelihood of Galway with 728? Thats the brink-iest result I could possibly have gotten. Won't sleep until Monday.

Likelihood of Galway with 728? Thats the brink-iest result I could possibly have gotten. Won't sleep until Monday.
    As likely as you getting it last year with 743, so pretty likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Conly95

I have the same score..life on the edge is tough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Namzi

I'm not sure but at a hpat preparation course I attended at IOE Dublin, the speaker said that they were bringing in plans to prevent students from only repeating the hpat. That the hpat score would have to be added to LC points from the same year.
    That would be horrible but interesting as it would remove the novelty of first year transfers into medicine after doing the hpat again.

Namzi wrote: »
    I'm not sure but at a hpat preparation course I attended at IOE Dublin, the speaker said that they were bringing in plans to prevent students from only repeating the hpat. That the hpat score would have to be added to LC points from the same year.
    That would be horrible but interesting as it would remove the novelty of first year transfers into medicine after doing the hpat again.
    I'm going to safely assume here that this guy has no idea what he's talking about, there's a report due in November which will give some recommendations on the fate of the hpat but saying last year that they plan to do that with hpat is pure speculation.

I personally think that they can't/shouldn't do much to hinder people repeating hpat, sure if that happened it would be the same as saying that all cao courses should have different points for people who repeat the lc. The hpat is an exam where how you're feeling on the day can make the world of a difference. If in your biology exam you're feeling ill/hungry you might forget a small thing or two but if you know you're stuff you'll be grand. In hpat you feel like that on the day of the exam it can cost you any chance of medicine.
    Edit: I can't wait till Monday is over and done with so I stop checking my phone for new posts every 5 minutes, its killing me :(

Can people just keeping posting points predictions so I can be slightly less worried? :'( That's why I keep checking back...

Can people just keeping posting points predictions so I can be slightly less worried? :'( That's why I keep checking back...

Trinity 440
    Ucc 400
    Nuig 210 (or 300 with lc applied)

That should make everyone feel better :)

Trinity 440
    Ucc 400
    Nuig 210 (or 300 with lc applied)

That should make everyone feel better :)

Would the points jump THAT much? :pac: #dreamscrushed

Would the points jump THAT much? :pac: #dreamscrushed

Yeah tbh with the percentile change the points will sky rocket. All the bois in town are ****ting it, but sure that's life

Yeah tbh with the percentile change the points will sky rocket. All the bois in town are ****ting it, but sure that's life

The pure horror when NUIG goes to 754 points. :eek:

Hahahahhahaa I'd laugh. Then go cry in a corner for a few hours...

• Advertisement

Don't. Just don't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement