Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ryan95

So where are peoples first choices?!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Namzi

Ryan95 wrote: »
    So where are peoples first choices?!

Well my family lives in Dublin so I want Galway or Cork lol. I need my independence.

sillydog10 wrote: »
    Trinity 440
    Ucc 400
    Nuig 210 (or 300 with lc applied)

That should make everyone feel better :)

Hmm excuse me if I seem ignorant but what does the 440 represent in terms of the entire 700-and something points required.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sillydog10

Namzi wrote: »
    Hmm excuse me if I seem ignorant but what does the 440 represent in terms of the entire 700-and something points required.

...It's a joke............

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Conly95

*facepalm

• Advertisement

...It's a joke............

Hahaha ok well I feel stupid

Conly95 wrote: »
    *facepalm

Hahaha I don't always get sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 39 micoshea

Just got a UCAS offer! I'm safe (although I'm still hoping for TCD)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sillydog10

micoshea wrote: »
    Just got a UCAS offer! I'm safe (although I'm still hoping for TCD)

Congrads on being the first person on the thread to actually get med!

Congrads on being the first person on the thread to actually get med!

Thanks dude. Really excited about starting med next September, although I'm really annoyed that I didn't put UCD down first on my CAO, cause I would have gotten an ad astra.In Trinity you get 150 euro worth of book tokens.
    I'm hoping pts for TCD drop cause I have 744.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Thanks dude. Really excited about starting med next September, although I'm really annoyed that I didn't put UCD down first on my CAO, cause I would have gotten an ad astra.In Trinity you get 150 euro worth of book tokens.
    I'm hoping pts for TCD drop cause I have 744.

Someone pointed out to me that I could have gotten free accommodation in UCD and escaped the perils of living at home! If only I had known :pac: I think UCC will give me like €100. Great, but pales in comparison to UCD :(

Sure there's probably a catch, I'd only probably get mugged or something in Dublin :eek:

Someone pointed out to me that I could have gotten free accommodation in UCD and escaped the perils of living at home! If only I had known :pac:

Sure there's probably a catch, I'd only probably get mugged or something in Dublin :eek:

In the leafy suburbs of South County Dublin surrounded by campus police? I think not...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ryan95

Well my family lives in Dublin so I want Galway or Cork lol. I need my independence.
    I get to move regardless of what I offer I get Monday ! 😄😄
    Hopefully UCD bound, with 743 im not too worried !

• Registered Users Posts: 37 imsocool chillininda pool

"National research group evaluating revised entry mechanisms to medicine"

For anyone interested in the HPAT, its effectiveness and the stats for people getting into medicine this report is quite interesting.
    It will pass another couple of minutes until monday anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 petrichor

words can't even describe how stressed I am for Monday :/

Was anyone else here screwed over by the new weighting? I lost 8 pts to it.

Was anyone else here screwed over by the new weighting? I lost 8 pts to it.

that's an awful lot was your s3 very high?

It was my highest by 18% I would have gotten 187 and be guaranteed a place in TCD as my score would have been 752.

I feel really sorry for you. Its just sickening the way these changes really effect people. 744 is no small score, i no it doesn't make it any easier tho :)

Well I'm hoping the points drop this year. Given the fall in HPAT scores, I'd say I'm in with a decent chance for Trinity. I got 90th percentile, which last year was 194. That'd give me a score of 759 in a year where 749 got you a place. I'd say I'm doing pretty well. Life swings in roundabouts.

• Advertisement

Finally someone being optimistic ! I don't want to go talking about chances of tcd when there are so many people on here who would kill for anywhere, but i might be there with you ;) well done on 625 btw

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TheKitchenSink

that's an awful lot was your s3 very high?

I would have gotten the exact same on the old system.. What did people get in each scetion?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 totallyrandom

My own personal prediction of the points come Monday is:

UCC: 728
    NUIG: 725
    UCD: 734
    RCSI: 728
    TCD: 735

Maybe, I'm a bit too optimistic though.

I'd say given that there are fewer people applying this year, the gap between TCD and NUIG could widen a bit. Still that looks like a pretty good set of estimates.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Shanrahan

My own personal prediction of the points come Monday is:

UCC: 728
    NUIG: 725
    UCD: 734
    RCSI: 728
    TCD: 735

Maybe, I'm a bit too optimistic though.

yeah i think anyone who put any thought into the circumstances of results this year would predict the same thing. they should go down by about 13-14 points from last year. It annoys me how some people with 90 something percentiles and good LCs dont think they will get med just because they are 3 or 4 points off last years course. ive a score of 731 and am fairly confident ill get UCC

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mog57

I have 726 overall - I really don't see it dropping that low, so when/if I miss out on Monday, I'll miss out by maybe 3/4 points - it'll be a killer!!

Mog57 wrote: »
    I have 726 overall - I really don't see it dropping that low, so when/if I miss out on Monday, I'll miss out by maybe 3/4 points - it'll be a killer!!
    Don't count yourself out just yet tho! itll be very close i would think, you might get NUIG and if you dont get it monday you might get it on the 2nd round. And being borderline out isnt too bad. you could always repeat the HPat next year without too much hassle of getting in then.

Shanrahan wrote: »
    yeah i think anyone who put any thought into the circumstances of results this year would predict the same thing. they should go down by about 13-14 points from last year. It annoys me how some people with 90 something percentiles and good LCs dont think they will get med just because they are 3 or 4 points off last years course. ive a score of 731 and am fairly confident ill get UCC

I think I was one of those people lol. But you'd be surprised the amount of friends of mine who came our with 17something points in the hpat and took medicine off their CAO thinking they hadn't a chance. That is unfornute considering the predicted drop, but could swing well for us.

Mog57 wrote: »
    My med dream is over this year I'm afraid! I only got 555 in the LC - significantly lower than I was hoping for. However my question is this: has anybody gotten medicine on a LC of 555 before? - i.e should I be repeating HPAT and LC or just HPAT? How risky would you guys think it would be just to go for the HPAT repeat? I got the 85th percentile this year, so will probably miss med by between 3-7 points. Just wondering if anyone has any opinion RE my position or has heard of anyone getting in on 555 before? Thanks in advance :)

If i were you I'd probably repeat the Leaving if you dont get in. 625 points or even 600 points would give you 9-14 more points which would be the same as getting more than 93rd percentile which might prove very difficult. and youre nearly gauranteed 600 if you repeat id say
    I didnt realise that you got 726 when i said this :P if youre out by 1 or 2 just repeat the hpat

• Advertisement

I think I was one of those people lol. But you'd be surprised the amount of friends of mine who came our with 17something points in the hpat and took medicine off their CAO thinking they hadn't a chance. That is unfornute considering the predicted drop, but could swing well for us.

yeah but those people are obviously really quite smart but very very silly. they didnt look into the exam and realise what they were dealing with. PLUS noone should ever take away their NO.1 choice for the slight chance they would get it. i got 171 and i knew within a day I was still in the game. You have an outstanding score and I would say with confidence that you will get TCD. Congrats!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement