Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mog57

Shanrahan wrote: »
    If i were you I'd probably repeat the Leaving if you dont get in. 625 points or even 600 points would give you 9-14 more points which would be the same as getting more than 93rd percentile which might prove very difficult. and youre nearly gauranteed 600 if you repeat id say
    I didnt realise that you got 726 when i said this :P if youre out by 1 or 2 just repeat the hpat

Thanks for input :) It's a very tricky one - I suppose it's a case of deciding to go again and really committing to it... I was waaaaaay too distracted this year! Best of luck on Monday btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Namzi

Shanrahan wrote: »
    yeah but those people are obviously really quite smart but very very silly. they didnt look into the exam and realise what they were dealing with. PLUS noone should ever take away their NO.1 choice for the slight chance they would get it. i got 171 and i knew within a day I was still in the game. You have an outstanding score and I would say with confidence that you will get TCD. Congrats!

Thanks man I really hope so, it would make my parents happy beyond belief. And yeah your definitely still a strong runner. Unlucky for them especially a friend of mine who got 172, took medicine off but then got 595 in the LC, with 731 he was pretty well on

• Registered Users Posts: 39 micoshea

Mog57 wrote: »
    Thanks for input :) It's a very tricky one - I suppose it's a case of deciding to go again and really committing to it... I was waaaaaay too distracted this year! Best of luck on Monday btw!

I think I know you (#HpatBuddies?). Anyways, if you want a compromise, you can always take a few months off and get a job, go travelling etc... and then do 6 months in the institute. You've got most of the work done at 555. You don't have to do a full year and it wont be as expensive. You'd also have more time to work on the HPATs.

micoshea wrote: »
    I think I know you (#HpatBuddies?). Anyways, if you want a compromise, you can always take a few months off and get a job, go travelling etc... and then do 6 months in the institute. You've got most of the work done at 555. You don't have to do a full year and it wont be as expensive. You'd also have more time to work on the HPATs.
    I was in the institute this year and it was great!! They don't waste your time but give only precise and necessary information on topics for example the whole ecology chapter was covered in two classes of unrivalled detail. They also have a hpat course with a lot of practice material. I would def recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Namzi wrote: »
    Thanks man I really hope so, it would make my parents happy beyond belief. And yeah your definitely still a strong runner. Unlucky for them especially a friend of mine who got 172, took medicine off but then got 595 in the LC, with 731 he was pretty well on

You'd wonder then how much thought he put into it: I mean with regards to researching percentiles and such.

He could have taken it off for different reasons, but used that excuse. People can be odd :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Mog57

I was in the institute this year and it was great!! They don't waste your time but give only precise and necessary information on topics for example the whole ecology chapter was covered in two classes of unrivalled detail. They also have a hpat course with a lot of practice material. I would def recommend it

Repeating is a rather depressing thought but you have to do what you have to do! Thanks for advice - if I was to repeat IOE is probs the only place I'd go - if you have to do it again, you may as well do it right! :L

You'd wonder then how much thought he put into it: I mean with regards to researching percentiles and such.

He could have taken it off for different reasons, but used that excuse. People can be odd :pac:

Well he wasn't a ride of die Med addict like me lol. He changed his first choice to dentistry and has a very good chance if getting it this year. But he, like me at first, really couldn't imagine such a drop in points... We're yet to see, but stating hopeful

Mog57 wrote: »
    Repeating is a rather depressing thought but you have to do what you have to do! Thanks for advice - if I was to repeat IOE is probs the only place I'd go - if you have to do it again, you may as well do it right! :L

It's definitely not as easy as you'd think, challenging especially because most of your mates are in college... Inviting you out every weekend. And it's boring learning the same things over again!! But if you take it on, aware of the massive advantage you have over first timers it's not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Well he wasn't a ride of die Med addict like me lol. He changed his first choice to dentistry and has a very good chance if getting it this year. But he, like me at first, really couldn't imagine such a drop in points... We're yet to see, but stating hopeful

I suppose in all fairness, for someone like me who has been following this thread all year, and who saw the statistics, and who saw the drop in HPAT points, it's very easy for me to realise points were going to drop :o

It's common for people to assume that points never cease to rise, I suppose.

I suppose in all fairness, for someone like me who has been following this thread all year, and who saw the statistics, and who saw the drop in HPAT points, it's very easy for me to realise points were going to drop :o

It's common for people to assume that points never cease to rise, I suppose.

Well a lot if people don't know about this board, sadly cause it's been so useful already to me. Medicine has been a steady riser for ages now, I'll cry tears of joy and disbelief on Monday if the drop predicted happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

They have to happen, or else all the courses will be empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

Does anyone think it possible that UCD could equal or surpass Trinity points? UCD has 25% fewer places and their points have been converging in the last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 johngalooly

what are the odds of getting tcd with 732 overall score with the dare scheme?? Any thoughts are appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭back to back

my prediction is ;

galway 723 (+/- 1.5 variation)

rcsi 728

cork to difficult to predict _supporting figures are too contradictory, some putting it above surgeons,others putting it below surgeons.

ucd 733

trinity 734 (+/- 0.5 variation )

ps ; .5 means random selection

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Yulkmn

my prediction is ;

rcsi 728

cork to difficult to predict _supporting figures are too contradictory, some putting it above surgeons,others putting it below surgeons.

ucd 733

is this the amount of points required or?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sillydog10

my prediction is ;

rcsi 728

ucd 733

Why the big gap between TCD and nuig (9 rather than the usual 7)? Cheers for the prediction though, I'd say you put a lot of work into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Okay so my friend has 91st percentile and 585 points.. Chances for him for UCD med?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Daa95

my prediction is ;

rcsi 728

ucd 733

how come such a big gap between nuig and rcsi? thanks for your predictions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Murphy3

To be honest I think that most people on this thread are going to get a place. Points will surely drop and with scores of 725 up you should be sorted. There really is no point in worrying when you are in the 730's! There are people in the early 700's still hoping :) You might not get the college you want but you will get somewhere and you will be the same doctor as the person graduating from trinity or UCD or wherever it is you want to go.

We all need to chill and be optimistic about Monday. It all happens for a reason and you will appreciate it even more when you finally get there.

Rant over. Good luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sal18c3

Total of 718. Absolutely gutted that I will be missing out by only 5-10poinys. With a LC of565 should I redo the hpat next year? I was in the 73 percentile this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 mcinabox

With overall points of 734 should I be hopeful for UCD, or just accept Galway (if I get offered anything at all that is).

sal18c3 wrote: »
    Total of 718. Absolutely gutted that I will be missing out by only 5-10poinys. With a LC of565 should I redo the hpat next year? I was in the 73 percentile this year

Your leaving cert is good enough , although if you wanted to repeat you've got a great chance at 600 points or more, the hpat is your best bet to repeat tho

mcinabox wrote: »
    With overall points of 734 should I be hopeful for UCD, or just accept Galway (if I get offered anything at all that is).

You're best off accepting your first offer because if you qualify for a second offer they will offer it to you anyway usually

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sal18c3

Your leaving cert is good enough , although if you wanted to repeat you've got a great chance at 600 points or more, the hpat is your best bet to repeat tho

I did so much work this year that I dont feel my lc wouldn't change all that dramatically if I were to repeat. I am getting two rechecks once I review my scripts and hopefully will come up a few more points. HPAT repeating is as much as I could take I think!

sal18c3 wrote: »
    I did so much work this year that I dont feel my lc wouldn't change all that dramatically if I were to repeat. I am getting two rechecks once I review my scripts and hopefully will come up a few more points. HPAT repeating is as much as I could take I think!

I get what you mean some grades just won't change cause that's as good as you'll get, for example I got the exact same grade in French, went down from an A to a B in art, but went up everywhere else. The hpat is your best bet then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mcinabox

You're best off accepting your first offer because if you qualify for a second offer they will offer it to you anyway usually

But do you think 734 is enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sillydog10

I think I'm going to have to check off of this forum until the offers are out, all of these new comers who haven't bothered to read anything previously posted with their "is 734/642/800 enough omg I have to repeat??" is doing my head in.Good luck to everyone and if you're a newcomer PLEASE READ PREVIOUS POSTS BEFORE POSTING

sillydog10 wrote: »
    I think I'm going to have to check off of this forum until the offers are out, all of these new comers who haven't bothered to read anything previously posted with their "is 734/642/800 enough omg I have to repeat??" is doing my head in.Good luck to everyone and if you're a newcomer PLEASE READ PREVIOUS POSTS BEFORE POSTING

Seconded. Please read previous posts.

Also if you have more than 730 then please take your worrying elsewhere as you'll most likely get Galway. While that may not be your first choice, you need to take account of the fact that there are many people here with genuine concerns who would kill to be in your position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Kayleigh..

I can't believe I took medicine off my CAO form, because of fear I wouldn't get the points :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement