Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭kb98

Kayleigh.. wrote: »
    I can't believe I took medicine off my CAO form, because of fear I wouldn't get the points :(

What did you end up with points wise with the hpat?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 imsocool chillininda pool

I know all the silly billies that took off medicine cause they thought they wouldn't get it know this now but NEVER EVER EVER EVER TIMES INFINITY take anything you want off the cao. even if spaces 1-8 are filled with unrealistic dreams which you haven't a snowballs chance in a cat scanner of getting, it does you no harm. YOU WILL GET OFFERED THE COURSE FURTHEST UP THE LIST WHICH YOU HAVE THE POINTS FOR!!!!

there is no shame in not getting your first 9 choices as long as you give it a go!

I really never thought this would have to be explained :)

if you are going into lc next year - get all the supplements in the papers on monday and read them cover to cover. not only will you save so much time during your lc year, you will also save yourself the heartbreak so many on here will feel monday!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Kayleigh..

kb98 wrote: »
    What did you end up with points wise with the hpat?

742 :rolleyes:

Oh why did you take it off :(

kb98 wrote: »
    Oh why did you take it off :(

Got 430 ish in the mocks, didn't think I'd go up 120 points :pac:

• Advertisement

Got 430 ish in the mocks, didn't think I'd go up 120 points :pac:

You got 192 in the hpat, that's so good

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Shanrahan

You must have got like 100 percentile?!?!?

lets cheer things up. Who will I be seeing in UCC in September!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 totallyrandom

Shanrahan wrote: »
    lets cheer things up. Who will I be seeing in UCC in September!?

Myself hopefully. I got 732, so fingers crossed I'll get UCC. Good luck to you too.

You must have got like 100 percentile?!?!?

No, 97th percentile :P

• Advertisement

Myself hopefully. I got 732, so fingers crossed I'll get UCC. Good luck to you too.

I got 731 so hopefully you'll get UCC no bother! I'm pretty sure we will though

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TheKitchenSink

I got 731 so hopefully you'll get UCC no bother! I'm pretty sure we will though

You'll be seeing me, even if I don't get med I'll just be there lurking..

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jjC123

Jumping the gun here slightly, but is anyone who's hoping for Galway planning on skipping premed?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Header15

Would 730 have any chance for UCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jjC123

Header15 wrote: »
    Would 730 have any chance for UCD?

I'd say you have a chance, albeit a small one. You'll almost certainly get med somewhere though.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Header15

jjC123 wrote: »
    I'd say you have a chance, albeit a small one. You'll almost certainly get med somewhere though.

Yeah i was thinking i was quite borderline but should probably get Cork which I'd be delighted with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 StewDent

Jumping the gun here slightly, but is anyone who's hoping for Galway planning on skipping premed?

I've UCD first but will be mostly likely be heading to Galway, (if I get anywhere at all), and I'm skipping premed wherever I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

StewDent wrote: »
    I've UCD first but will be mostly likely be heading to Galway, (if I get anywhere at all), and I'm skipping premed wherever I go.

Did you do another course before this year then?

woopah92 wrote: »
    Did you do another course before this year then?

Yeah and I'm old as **** so can't be staying in college forever!

Yeah and I'm old as **** so can't be staying in college forever!

That's the dream though, I never want to leave college. Even the 3 months off during the summer are boring as hell...

• Advertisement

That's the dream though, I never want to leave college. Even the 3 months off during the summer are boring as hell...

In one way I feel like that too..... but on the other hand and I know you have to finish up some time and 5 years is pretty long to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

In one way I feel like that too..... but on the other hand and I know you have to finish up some time and 5 years is pretty long to be honest!

Reality is you will probably spent more than 5 years in college especially if you want to be a surgeon .

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TheKitchenSink

I must admit when I first thought of doing med I was afraid most of my potential classmates would be anti-social hermits who never go out and just spend their whole time studying, a very generalistic view I know. But you people seem pretty cool and now I am hopeful that a great degree of banter shall in fact be had!

I must admit when I first thought of doing med I was afraid most of my potential classmates would be anti-social hermits who never go out and just spend their whole time studying, a very generalistic view I know. But you people seem pretty cool and now I am hopeful that a great degree of banter shall in fact be had!

I lived with a med last year. Oh my god, they literally go out the most of all courses bar the Ags!:P

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Reality is you will probably spent more than 5 years in college especially if you want to be a surgeon .

Oh I know. I was just speaking in regards to the udergraduate side of it. Sure no matter what speciality you branch into, you're basically studying your whole life considering that new treatments and drugs are constantly being developed.

I know a guy who was in danger of failing premed..... and not because he was stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aiaiclor

I am a current second med in galway and lurking around to see how the points seem to be faring for my friend who is repeating, I skipped premed and I have to say it was a very good decision on my part! Most people who go straight from the LC to med do premed but I decided against it.
    Premed is really just getting to know your classmates- you are at no disadvantage academically whatsoever if you skip it! To be honest, a lot of the premeds found it harder during first med to get their heads down. The people who just did their leaving cert were still in study mode, which was definitely needed!
    Some people found it hard to enter a year where 50 of the students were really close friends alreaDy, but by Christmas at least no one really cared who had been there the previous year or not.

In an unrelated note, I am extremely jealous of all those going into first year med! I honestly had such a blast. Good luck tomorrow guys!

These are gonna be the longest 9 hours of my life. On the plus side, I'll probably have watched every episode of catfish come 6am.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 petrichor

These are gonna be the longest 9 hours of my life. On the plus side, I'll probably have watched every episode of catfish come 6am.

doing the same, but with rewatching breaking bad :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

This hasn't been mentioned on here yet as far as I know, but at around 2-3 AM the newspapers like the Irish Independent/Irish Times are sent to the shops around the country, and they contain the CAO points for all the different courses in all the different colleges.

Someone with sturdy connections (;)) usually gets a hold of one of the papers and takes photos and puts them up online, so you'll know at that stage if you'll get in or not. Can be quite a make-or-break moment, so you're best staying off boards at that time if you plan on bracing yourself and facing the CAO offers at 6 on the dot.

And to those of you who are hoping to get Trinity (I'm sure the other colleges have this as well..), There's been a Facebook group set up called "TCD Medicine Class of 2019". So if at 2 AM you find out that you got the points, you can go on it and have yourself a good old fashioned creep of your international classmates, as well as the current 2nd years (who make up most of the group at the moment, and a lot of whom will be peer mentors next year, myself included!) and some 3rd years.

Best of luck, and hopefully see some of you in TCD! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement