Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 micoshea

*Picks up bowl and slurps milk. Remains ignorant of comical milk mustache

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

anyway good luck to everyone tomorrow. not to get too sappy but like if youre on boards.ie 6 hours before cao deadline then youre most likely really ambitious and bright nd **** so like whatever happens tomorrow just go with it. theres millions of ways of getting medicine outside of the cao and regardless its pretty insignificant in the grander scheme of things. last year missed medicine by 5 points and was pretty torn up, then went on to do a year of biomedical science in ucd and had the best year of my life so like whatever you get tomorrow just say **** it! and eat some cereal:)

Trying to work out who this is now. #biomedbants

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Shanrahan wrote: »
    lets cheer things up. Who will I be seeing in UCC in September!?

Me hopefully!
    kb98 wrote: »
    Just writing to ask if the HPAT is as hard as everyone makes it out to be? I will be doing it in 2016 and just wondering if it is nearly impossible to get 80th/90th percentile.

Ah here, by definition it's not 'nearly impossible' to get in the top 20 percent. I did, and I'm not the brightest (although obviously I'd be fairly intelligent) :p

Just do your best. Timing is crucial, and section 3 can definitely be improved with practice. Skills can be honed for section 1. I guess the emotional side is rather innate.

Honestly, you'll probably need to get 80th+. But aside from a degree of preparation, you can't study for this. Timed exams and such are the key.

Focus on the LC, because there's not much use getting, say 94th percentile if you don't get 550 points :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭back to back

oh btw the number of places in nuig this year is going up by 15 cause they dropped their contract with the Malaysian students

• Registered Users Posts: 20 h157

woopah92 wrote: »

Are a lot of people in biomed people who missed out on medicine? Looks like I'm heading there and I'm hoping it's gonna be a giant boards convention ðŸ˜

Edit: Just realised how pessimistic that sounds but you know what I mean, it'd be nice to be with people in the same boat! :L

• Advertisement

oh btw the number of places in nuig this year is going up by 15 cause they dropped their contract with the Malaysian students

I heard that the Malaysian contracts were scrapped, but I thought that there were 50 students per year. Also people didn't know if their places would be given to Irish students...
    Where did you get the info?

sal18c3 wrote: »
    Did you repeat hpat this year? I think I will have to do the same
    ye but like it wasnt half as much effort last year and i went up by like about 20%ile points by doing half as much prep, but still do the prep i prob would have gone up by more if i hadnt got so lazy

woopah92 wrote: »

crab people ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 imsocool chillininda pool

"Focus on the LC, because there's not much use getting, say 94th percentile if you don't get 550 points"

nah, i'd focus on lc in 5th but in 6th do loads of hpat prep, its way easier to pick up hpat points than lc. the other thing is f*ck your mocks - they literally don't matter a damn :) i got b's and c's cause every night i would come home with mocks the next day, and do hpat non stop cause the actual hpat was a week later. i got like 480 in mocks i think and in actual i got like 100 more and a solid hpat :D

h157 wrote: »
    Are a lot of people in biomed people who missed out on medicine? Looks like I'm heading there and I'm hoping it's gonna be a giant boards convention ðŸ˜

Edit: Just realised how pessimistic that sounds but you know what I mean, it'd be nice to be with people in the same boat! :L
    youre gonna love it its the ****in best course ever

• Advertisement

micoshea wrote: »
    I heard that the Malaysian contracts were scrapped, but I thought that there were 50 students per year. Also people didn't know if their places would be given to Irish students...
    Where did you get the info?
    my dad told me hes a gp who knows loads of the lecturers there from med school he says all the Malaysian places are goin to irish students not sure if its true though but a glimmer of hope nontheless

That should mean that Galway should go down by approximately 1 point (slightly less cause 1%ile =25 people) compared to everywhere else.

ye suppose it really only means thats if you get exactly whats required youll have a better chance on random selction

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Shanrahan

"Focus on the LC, because there's not much use getting, say 94th percentile if you don't get 550 points"

nah, i'd focus on lc in 5th but in 6th do loads of hpat prep, its way easier to pick up hpat points than lc. the other thing is f*ck your mocks - they literally don't matter a damn :) i got b's and c's cause every night i would come home with mocks the next day, and do hpat non stop cause the actual hpat was a week later. i got like 480 in mocks i think and in actual i got like 100 more and a solid hpat :D

I totally agree with this. focus on hpat until its over then focus all the LC in the last 3 or 4 months! Don't worry about the mocks. I got 450 in mocks and 600 in actual leaving cert

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sal18c3

ye but like it wasnt half as much effort last year and i went up by like about 20%ile points by doing half as much prep, but still do the prep i prob would have gone up by more if i hadnt got so lazy

Well done that's brilliant, how is biomed as a course? ANd will you get to skip premed now because you have done a year of medical modules

Well I'd imagine that for every 3 people with more than 550 who sat the HPAT there are 2 people who got below 550, so I'd say NUIG will drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 imsocool chillininda pool

thought it was time for a little inspirational quote before bed :)

The itsy-bitsy spider
    Climbed up the water spout
    Down came the rain
    And washed the spider out
    Out came the sun
    And dried up all the rain
    And the itsy-bitsy spider
    Climbed up the spout again

sal18c3 wrote: »
    Well done that's brilliant, how is biomed as a course? ANd will you get to skip premed now because you have done a year of medical modules
    pretty much the exact same as medicine loads of our modules overlapped like and ye you can go straight into first med if you pass the first year of biomed.....which i didnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Good luck everyone waiting for the offers, its been a while since I was in your position but I remember the nerves! Hopefully the points are on the way down...fingers crossed! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 totallyrandom

Anyone want to predict the points?

• Advertisement

Anyone want to predict the points?

10 points extra for those who predict right.

TCD-735
    UCD-734
    UCC-730
    RCSI-729
    NUIG-726

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FunTimess

Currently writing my trinity hall application letter. Thinking positively!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jjC123

Just home, a bit drunk, season 7 of The West Wing on standby.
    Let's do this

FunTimess wrote: »
    Currently writing my trinity hall application letter. Thinking positively!

Can you fill it in early?

jjC123 wrote: »
    Just home, a bit drunk, season 7 of The West Wing on standby.
    Let's do this

You got good taste #BartletForPresident

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FunTimess

micoshea wrote: »
    Can you fill it in early?

No, just writing it on Word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭flump_master

Taking this from cao offers thread. Quality is terrible. From irish times e-version

Good luck you crazy med students!

I got RCSI, so happy right now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jjC123

530 LC points they said, you haven't a snowballs chance they said. Galway come at me :D .......WITH 7 POINTS TO SPARE

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement