Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Conly95

jjC123 wrote: »
    Any Galway meds looking to band together for a house hunt? PM me!

Yeah I'll go in on that, having no luck finding accommodation !

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭pourquoi

Conly95 wrote: »
    Yeah I'll go in on that, having no luck finding accommodation !

Your best bet is to ring the Accommodation Office (two very nice women work there and they have a list of houses that are not necessarily advertised online). Also, you have the perk of being able to say that ye're Med students. That can open a lot of doors--emphasise that you'll be studying a lot, etc. Don't be shy to drop it into conversation.

The Galway Advertiser--both in print and online--is also a good resource!

Good luck in your hunt! If you have questions, feel free to PM me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 itsmawadii

Before I contact the CAO, I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about deferring for a year? If you have accepted an offer on Monday, is it still possible to defer it? In a bit of a panic here!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jjC123

itsmawadii wrote: »
    Before I contact the CAO, I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about deferring for a year? If you have accepted an offer on Monday, is it still possible to defer it? In a bit of a panic here!

Ring your college. Fairly sure it's up to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

Check out this link. It appears like you'll need to do both. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 itsmawadii

jjC123 wrote: »
    Ring your college. Fairly sure it's up to them.

Thanks for that, ringing the college makes a lot more sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭cian casey

Does anyone know the deadline for applying for halls in tcd ??

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CGMed

If you want to defer, do NOT accept the offer!
    You need to contact the Uni offering you the place and they will advise you what must be done before Monday next. Some deferrals are not always granted - at the discretion of the Uni.
    Congrats on getting a place......Lucky you!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wideopensky

Any first year med students in UCD have a spare room in an apartment that they want to rent.
    I am having a lot of trouble finding somewhere to live and it would be nice to share with like minded people :). Message me if anyone has any space.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Murphy3

Anyone get human health and disease in trinity? It was my first choice after medicine :) Don't know whether to take it or defer it? Ill definitely be repeating hpat in march- anyone have any advice- really need it!!! Please and thanks!!!

• Advertisement

Murphy3 wrote: »
    Anyone get human health and disease in trinity? It was my first choice after medicine :) Don't know whether to take it or defer it? Ill definitely be repeating hpat in march- anyone have any advice- really need it!!! Please and thanks!!!

Hey Murphy3,

If you're set on doing Medicine and are within a fair chance of getting it with a bit of work, defer your place, take the year off and concentrate on the HPAT next year.

It's not the end of the world taking a year off. Plus, if you take the HHD place this year and get medicine the following year, you'll be liable for the full fees for First Med (which are currently about €8500).

If you (or anyone else here) is wondering about anything else, PM me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Queeferz

Murphy3 wrote: »

You can accept your offer and do the first few weeks/ month of HHD, see how you like it and if you have your heart set on medicine, you can drop out after a month and re take your hpat in March. If you drop out within a month or so, your fees will be refunded and you will also not have to pay full fees when you (hopefully) get medicine next year, rather than doing HHD for the full year, paying €3000 and then paying full fees for medicine next september! Just one option to think about!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Trinity doesn't have premed, however I have heard of unis that do allowing students who completed a year of another health course to count that as premed- and hence avoid full fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mocker2012

pourquoi wrote: »
    Hey Murphy3,

If you're set on doing Medicine and are within a fair chance of getting it with a bit of work, defer your place, take the year off and concentrate on the HPAT next year.

It's not the end of the world taking a year off. Plus, if you take the HHD place this year and get medicine the following year, you'll be liable for the full fees for First Med (which are currently about €8500).

If you (or anyone else here) is wondering about anything else, PM me. :)

Not 100% sure, but I don't think you can defer your place if you intend on applying for another course because when you apply for medicine or anything else you would lose your deferred place.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Queeferz

mocker2012 wrote: »
    Not 100% sure, but I don't think you can defer your place if you intend on applying for another course because when you apply for medicine or anything else you would lose your deferred place.

I've heard that too but also not 100% sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Queeferz wrote: »
    I've heard that too but also not 100% sure!

If you defer a place, you apply to the CAO again next year and you only put that course on the form. If you put any other course on the form your deferral is automatically lost and you are back in the race with everyone else in 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TheKitchenSink

So who will I be seeing in cork and where are y'all going living?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Viola112

Does anyone who's on the waiting list for Corrib village accommodation know what time the emails will be sent out tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 h157

Anyone going to the hear orientation on Sunday in UCD? :)

Is anyone completely confused re Trinity's vaccination policy :/

• Advertisement

Where does one find such a policy? I couldn't locate it anywhere. :/

pourquoi wrote: »
    Where does one find such a policy? I couldn't locate it anywhere. :/

It's under the orientation section

Ah, I see. It wasn't there when I checked the other day! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

cian casey wrote: »
    Is anyone completely confused re Trinity's vaccination policy :/

Feel free to PM any questions you might have!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Medhopeful15

Hi everyone! I'm going into 6th year this year and was just doing some research on Medicine courses in Ireland. I was just wondering does it really matter what university you apply to? Like, I know Trinity has a reputation for being the best in Ireland but aren't all medical degrees the same?

Hi everyone! I'm going into 6th year this year and was just doing some research on Medicine courses in Ireland. I was just wondering does it really matter what university you apply to? Like, I know Trinity has a reputation for being the best in Ireland but aren't all medical degrees the same?

Trinity may have that reputation, yet points for Trinity and UCD were the same this year. UCD has pre-med, which Trinity (and UCC for that matter) doesn't have.

Personally, I think Trinity campus is extremely pretty, which would be a bonus, except the Biomedical building is actually outside the main campus :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jfoley

I've gotten 727 and Galway med, delighted but all my family are in Dublin as well as free accommodation. Is there any chance of ucd on second round at 733?? And does any one know anything about transferring to ucd or rcsi?? Thank you :)

Jfoley wrote: »
    I've gotten 727 and Galway med, delighted but all my family are in Dublin as well as free accommodation. Is there any chance of ucd on second round at 733?? And does any one know anything about transferring to ucd or rcsi?? Thank you :)
    There's not a hope you'll get UCD with 6 points less than the first round offer, sorry :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

I have posted this already but got no reply.
    My ds is going into sixth year and wants medicine and wants to prepare now for the THAP.He was told Griffith college does a good preparation course,it is better seemingly than the one offered in the institute of education.
    Can anyone advise which is best one to do.
    Is it just me or is it really hard to find topics on this website?
    A lad I know transferred back to medicine in UCD in second year jfoley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 h157

I used both the institute hpat prep materials and I did the m*e*d*e*n*t*r*y course online. In my opinion the institute hpat materials were too easy in comparison to the actual exam, I thought the m.e materials prepared me a little better. Before he decides on a course though tell him to do the sample acer hpat practise exams under timed conditions. If he does well with them then I wouldn't bother doing a course unless he's really nervous because the exams on the m.e course give you your percentile rankings which can stress you out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement