Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AkiKk

Jfoley wrote: »
    I've gotten 727 and Galway med, delighted but all my family are in Dublin as well as free accommodation. Is there any chance of ucd on second round at 733?? And does any one know anything about transferring to ucd or rcsi?? Thank you :)

I 'transferred' to UCD this year from RCSI - I was off last year by 3 points. But transferring isn't really an option in a course like medicine as they don't have any spare places. I went through the CAO again, and repeated the HPAT. Got the points and got accepted into UCD, then had to send in a recognition of prior learning form to get an exemption of pre-med (so Free Fees still applies to me) . It's a hard process and you'd have to repeat the HPAT tbh. I applied for a transfer and they wouldn't let me :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 starlight1231

CONGRATULATIONS to everybody who got in !!
    I know most of you think about other stuff right now, but
    1.) Is there anybody who didn't get in and is NOT planning on repeating but will now study sth else?
    2.) Do you know if your course will be accredited internationally? Meaning, I know that one needs to take difficult and expensive exams if one wants to work as a doctor in Australia/USA/Canada with a degree from France or Germany. .. is it different with irish degrees? Do any of you consider working outside Ireland after studying?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jannev94

Jfoley wrote: »
    I've gotten 727 and Galway med, delighted but all my family are in Dublin as well as free accommodation. Is there any chance of ucd on second round at 733?? And does any one know anything about transferring to ucd or rcsi?? Thank you :)

I don't think it'll come down that much :( A friend of mine was in the same situation as you last year but she deferred her place and re-sat the hpat this year and got Trinity :) best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JF77

I am repeating this year for medicine and was wondering if i need to repeat HL English this year too? I got an A2 in it last year but i don't want to have to learn all the new material. I don't think that English is an entry requirement for medicine but if someone could back this up for me, it'd be brilliant! Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 37 imsocool chillininda pool

nah i did pass irish and english this year and i got in. no uni in ireland need higher, but watch for some UK ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭pourquoi

CONGRATULATIONS to everybody who got in !!
    I know most of you think about other stuff right now, but
    1.) Is there anybody who didn't get in and is NOT planning on repeating but will now study sth else?
    2.) Do you know if your course will be accredited internationally? Meaning, I know that one needs to take difficult and expensive exams if one wants to work as a doctor in Australia/USA/Canada with a degree from France or Germany. .. is it different with irish degrees? Do any of you consider working outside Ireland after studying?

Hi starlight,

As far as I'm aware, an Irish medical degree is recognised in the UK, Australia and NZ (i.e. you don't need to sit any extra exams). However, you do need to sit exams if you want to practice in the US or Canada.

Having said that, I'm open to correction. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JF77

Thank you for your reply! Do I have to do pass English or can I not take it at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Queeferz

JF77 wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply! Do I have to do pass English or can I not take it at all?

You have to do pass English

• Registered Users Posts: 37 imsocool chillininda pool

"Thank you for your reply! Do I have to do pass English or can I not take it at all?"

medicine is one of those that you have to fulfill all the entry requirements in the one year, so the foreign language, science, eng and irish. everything except the HPAT strangely enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 highonlife

Does anyone know what it's like to have a part-time job while studying medicine? I'm talking maybe Friday evenings, Saturday and Sunday like 9-5? Is it possible to keep up with all the study?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

highonlife wrote: »
    Does anyone know what it's like to have a part-time job while studying medicine? I'm talking maybe Friday evenings, Saturday and Sunday like 9-5? Is it possible to keep up with all the study?

Speaking from experience, it's grand, first year (in UCC anyway) isn't too busy, trust me you do not need to spend your Friday evenings and weekends studying non-stop! I only ever studied in any large way in the 2 weeks running up to continuous assessment exams (if even! We had 3 sets of continuous assessment exams during the year) and even then there was plenty of time to work as you could study on the other evenings of the week. Don't let people not in Med telling you "Oh I heard from X you've to work non-stop in Med!" psyche you out, it's like a science course largely in first year!

First year med is only a continuation of the LC if you make it that, you're in college now, enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭kb98

Does anyone know the schedule for medicine?
    Is is 5 days a week?
    9am-5pm every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

kb98 wrote: »
    Is is 5 days a week?
    9am-5pm every day?

I just picked a random week from last year and counted my hours and I had 16 (that is if I went to them all! 😝), that's probably a light enough week though (although I can't ever remember it being anything mad like 30+ for example), it can vary as we never had a set timetable, certain weeks you would be in a group that had clinical practice, or you had an elective that was 2 hours a week all year round rather than someone else who's elective was say 1 hour a week for the second half, no week was ever the same. There was never any day of the week we always had off every week, but depending on what anatomy, physiology, BH (behavioral health, essentially med CSPE) or clinical practice group you were in you could have a day whatever way the timetable fell off but it wasn't regular, I always had a half day on Friday as my anatomy group did labs on a Thursday evening instead, and occasionally there were very few or no lectures on Friday morning so I had it off. Lectures normally finished at 4 but could push on later occasionally. But never like pharmacy where they would have lectures starting at 6pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cellaoc10

Yeow! Bring on NUIG Med! Anyone else joining me up there? I did Science there last year, any other transfers going there aswell? Preferably someone who would like to skip the entire of orientation and drink tea in the Bialann instead? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

kb98 wrote: »
    Is is 5 days a week?
    9am-5pm every day?

Depends on your college however! I just counted- in Trinity, the heaviest POSSIBLE week you could have (Assuming you went to all the lectures, tutorials etc. and that all of them lasted for as long as they were scheduled. If you had your elective, physiology, biochemistry, anatomy labs and behavioural science/ethics tutorials) would be 28 hours in one week. The lightest week, if you just had anatomy labs, would be 17 hours. Reality is somewhere between 20 and 22 hours a week on average!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 starlight1231

pourquoi wrote: »
    Hi starlight,

As far as I'm aware, an Irish medical degree is recognised in the UK, Australia and NZ (i.e. you don't need to sit any extra exams). However, you do need to sit exams if you want to practice in the US or Canada.

Having said that, I'm open to correction. :)

Thank you for your reply :) !
    Do you remember where you got that information from , or where I could look it up? I've been searching and searching but I can't seem to find concrete information on this on the universities' websites....

I don't have any definitive source; it's just what I've pick up from talking to different people. Perhaps try emailing the Schools of Medicine at the different universities?

Or email the relevant registration authorities in the different countries (i.e. the General Medical Council in the UK, the Australian Medical Council in Aus, and the NZ Medical Council in NZ).

They should be able to give you a more definitive answer! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Do You Even Squat

Hi guys. The 2015 version of this thread is no where near as active as this thread so i decided to post in this to get a quicker response. Don't hate me. I'm going into 6th year and have not prepared for hpat so far. I am seriously freaking out. I do 8 subjects: Eng, maths, french, irish (ol), 3 sciences and app maths. I got 595 in summer, not including app maths. Id say i should have got 605 because my maths went horribly (a2) and i could get an a1 in app maths for the LC if i work hard. This summer i only started studying during august. Got little work completed. Only 5 qs for app maths, taught myself calculus in about 6 days and did a minuscule am ount of french and english. I'm really worried about hpat. I bought myself a bit of time since calculus will take a good few months to get through in class and app maths doesnt restart for another month or so. When did you guys start preparing? Im going to my guidance councillor when we get back on wednesday for a practice test to see if im any good at them. I heard the sample qs online and the practice material from acer arent too great so i was wondering you guys did any courses that you could recommend to me? I know about med entry and the institute etc but i have no idea if they are any use. i must emphasise how freaked out i am. I have been literally thinking about the hpat 24/7 for the last few weeks. I get visceral whenever i contemplate repeating the lc if the hpat fúcks me over. Cheers, sorry for the long post and sounding like a little bítch

Firstly, while I know it's a very real thing for you: calm down.

You have plenty of time. Like, loads.

I personally think that the Australian-based company (which I shan't name, but you mentioned it) is by far the best. They offer an enormous amount of resources. I'd recommend you do the weekend course too, as it gives you pointers that aren't on the online material.

I started around October time, and really ramping up the work after Christmas. (I'd recommend that come January, you focus more (but not all) of your attention on the HPAT rather than the mocks.)

We were told that the official ACER example questions were slightly easier than the actual exam, and that they were actually rejected questions, on the grounds of being too easy. They are only an indicator of the style of the questions, not the difficulty.

The aforementioned course's questions are considered harder than the actual exam, which is good because it gets you working. I found when I started doing the exercises, I was getting 40th percentile ranking. The week before the HPAT, I was score in the 80s and 90s.

The HPAT is a very tough exam, but it's doable with practice. You can learn how to think in a certain way and how to interpret questions; that's where the hard work goes.

Hope this helps!

But most of all: stay calm. You've plenty of time yet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

I do 8 subjects: Eng, maths, french, irish (ol), 3 sciences and app maths. I got 595 in summer, not including app maths. Id say i should have got 605 because my maths went horribly (a2) and i could get an a1 in app maths for the LC if i work hard.

Is A2 genuinely horrible mathswise for you? If that's true, I think you might be in a good position for the HPAT, unless you have to really grind for that sort of result :)
    When did you guys start preparing?

January :cool:
    I have been literally thinking about the hpat 24/7 for the last few weeks. I get visceral whenever i contemplate repeating the lc if the hpat fúcks me over. Cheers, sorry for the long post and sounding like a little bítch
    Thinking about it and worrying about it won't really help - you can't study for it per se, what you can do is familiarise yourself and build up some technique.

Thus the most important thing is practice material imo. Don't worry about sounding whiny! Just be logical about this. Besides, it's good that you care :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

I started studying in January this year. It's not the quantity of study you do, but the quality. Don't just continually do exercises and tests and not read back over the answers. Try to understand why the answers are correct and more importantly why the other answers are wrong.

Or just randomly guess on the day and hope you get it.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Daa95

predictions for 2nd round offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

Daa95 wrote: »
    predictions for 2nd round offers?

1 point drop

• Registered Users Posts: 6 D3mand123

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    1 point drop

Any reason you think this will happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭xraylady

Trinity doesn't have premed, however I have heard of unis that do allowing students who completed a year of another health course to count that as premed- and hence avoid full fees.

Really? My daughter is going into 5 yr med course after a year of another related course. Any idea if this could be the case in NUIG? Who should I contact at the college?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

xraylady wrote: »
    Really? My daughter is going into 5 yr med course after a year of another related course. Any idea if this could be the case in NUIG? Who should I contact at the college?

I have no idea who you should contact, but if she did a health science course, definitely ring someone or email, as most NUIG students do pre-med.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

xraylady wrote: »

Yeah that could certainly be the case, it's definitely something that people have availed of in past years. I'd say ring the Admissions Office, I'm not sure if that's the exact place to direct your query but they'll certainly point you in the right direction anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

D3mand123 wrote: »
    Any reason you think this will happen?

People don't decline an offer of med. It was the same last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 D3mand123

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    People don't decline an offer of med. It was the same last year.[/] Will there even be a single point drop though? (I'm one point of Nuig btw)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

Some defer, some (like, a handful) take up places at Oxbridge, and some repeat if they didn't get UCD/Trinity (I know of someone who was offered UCD but repeated to get TCD :rolleyes:).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement