Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

Some defer, some (like, a handful) take up places at Oxbridge, and some repeat if they didn't get UCD/Trinity (I know of someone who was offered UCD but repeated to get TCD :rolleyes:).

I'm fairly sure you can't defer medicine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

JDOC1996 wrote: »

You can with a good reason, but not just because you want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    You can with a good reason, but not just because you want to.

I was largely basing that claim on this article.

Just reading on the Indo website that "33 medical school applicants got their first preference" in the second round and "another 31 also received a higher preference".

As usual (:rolleyes:), the data given are very ambiguous. It's impossible to know how many places became available, because one could result in five people receiving a higher preference. Assuming those classed as having got a higher preference had received Medicine as a first round offer, 10+ places became available. I wonder who rejected!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Just reading on the Indo website that "33 medical school applicants got their first preference" in the second round and "another 31 also received a higher preference".

As usual (:rolleyes:), the data given are very ambiguous. It's impossible to know how many places became available, because one could result in five people receiving a higher preference. Assuming those classed as having got a higher preference had received Medicine as a first round offer, 10+ places became available. I wonder who rejected!

No it doesn't. You're looking at it from the point of view that if one person rejected the place the five other people shuffle up one place in the list for medicine across the five courses. The CAO can't offer 5 hypothetical places on the assumption that the person will accept their new offer and the knock on effect of that person accepting it will free up a place in another course.

If all those people accepted places in the first round in medicine courses then those places are filled until they reject them for a higher offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

No drop in points for nuig.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Caolan

GALWAY
    Round 1 721
    Round 2 721
    V 2013 -18

RCSI
    Round 1 727
    Round 2 724
    V 2013 -17

TCD
    Round 1 733
    Round 2 732
    V 2013 -16

UCC
    Round 1 724
    Round 2 722
    V 2013 -20

UCD
    Round 1 733
    Round 2 731
    V 2013 -16

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Header15

No it doesn't. You're looking at it from the point of view that if one person rejected the place the five other people shuffle up one place in the list for medicine across the five courses. The CAO can't offer 5 hypothetical places on the assumption that the person will accept their new offer and the knock on effect of that person accepting it will free up a place in another course.

If all those people accepted places in the first round in medicine courses then those places are filled until they reject them for a higher offer.

So does that mean there will be further offers definitely with possibly more point drops?

Header15 wrote: »
    So does that mean there will be further offers definitely with possibly more point drops?

Most people applying for Medicine will fill it places 1-5 regardless of geographic location (if you want med, you want med)

The points drop because people DO NOT accept their place on a course (there could be a number of reasons including emigration, finance, deferral or geography).

The points dropped for most of the Med courses which means a relatively decent amount of people would have accepted a place in R1 and now are being offered a place which better suits them (was higher on their CAO) in R2. Logic* has it that these places accepted in R1 will now students will handed back in favour of their R2 offer

*Logic would have it that the CAO would pre-empt this and offer a certain amount of these places in R2 knowing people will be "trading up", I am unaware if the CAO take this into account though.

Caolan wrote: »
    Most people applying for Medicine will fill it places 1-5 regardless of geographic location (if you want med, you want med)

The points drop because people DO NOT accept their place on a course (there could be a number of reasons including emigration, finance, deferral or geography).

The points dropped for most of the Med courses which means a relatively decent amount of people would have accepted a place in R1 and now are being offered a place which better suits them (was higher on their CAO) in R2. Logic* has it that these places accepted in R1 will now students will handed back in favour of their R2 offer

*Logic would have it that the CAO would pre-empt this and offer a certain amount of these places in R2 knowing people will be "trading up", I am unaware if the CAO take this into account though.

Thanks. I'm just wondering because now I am only one point off my first choice. Surely they couldn't offer a place that someone has though because you can't guarantee that they will accept the round 2 offer if they've already sorted accommodation etc.

• Advertisement

Header15 wrote: »
    Thanks. I'm just wondering because now I am only one point off my first choice. Surely they couldn't offer a place that someone has though because you can't guarantee that they will accept the round 2 offer if they've already sorted accommodation etc.

Heaven knows- it could be worth a should calling or e-mailing the CAO seeing as you are so close (keep in mind there is still a deadline for people to accept R2 offers)

What I would confidently state is that the CAO would take little or no notice of students need to sort accomodation (I get your point though). They may/may not offer places based on prior experience they have. The CAO have been doing this a long time, and overall are pretty efficient.

As I said, I think its worth an e-mail or phone call seeing as you are only 1 point shy, but keep in mind, 1 point could be 10/20 candidates though.

Caolan wrote: »
    Heaven knows- it could be worth a should calling or e-mailing the CAO seeing as you are so close (keep in mind there is still a deadline for people to accept R2 offers)

What I would confidently state is that the CAO would take little or no notice of students need to sort accomodation (I get your point though). They may/may not offer places based on prior experience they have. The CAO have been doing this a long time, and overall are pretty efficient.

As I said, I think its worth an e-mail or phone call seeing as you are only 1 point shy, but keep in mind, 1 point could be 10/20 candidates though.

The CAO don't make exceptions just because a student rings up. So they won't just give out a place to a person who is a point short because they ask for it

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

UCD med dropped to 731? For real? Is it on random selection on 731 too?

No it doesn't. You're looking at it from the point of view that if one person rejected the place the five other people shuffle up one place in the list for medicine across the five courses. The CAO can't offer 5 hypothetical places on the assumption that the person will accept theinew offer and the knock on effect of that person accepting it will free up a place in another course.

Like a man in orthopedic shoes, I stand corrected.

Sixty-four distinct places would therefore have had to become available. That represents over thirteen percent of the number of medical places last year. There's no way that many people declined their offer. Perhaps more places were made available

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jannev94

Got Med in NUIG :) anyone know of any accommodation going?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cellaoc10

Hey! I'm starting Med there! Are you doing the 5 or 6 year course?! I did Science last year so I'm living with 2nd years but City Property Services Galway are a good letting agency! (They might have a room available with a group or something!) We got our house off them, they could maybe give you some advice! Their numbers online somewhere! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jannev94

cellaoc10 wrote: »
    Hey! I'm starting Med there! Are you doing the 5 or 6 year course?! I did Science last year so I'm living with 2nd years but City Property Services Galway are a good letting agency! (They might have a room available with a group or something!) We got our house off them, they could maybe give you some advice! Their numbers online somewhere! :)

I'm doing the five year course! You? I've done 2 years in UCD so it's my first year in Galway. Great thanks I'll give them a ring :)!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭xraylady

I'm doing the five year one too. Maybe try the Atlantis accommodation? I got a room there a few days ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DianaA

IM LOOKING TO SWAP FROM 6 YEAR COURSE IN TO FIVE YEAR COURSE IN NUIG :D:D

All NUIG students who got Five Year Course

First of all Congrats !! :D

I got the Six Year Course and normally would think its a great idea for settling into college etc especially if you're not from Galway or have just done the Lc. I just did First year of Biomed in NUIG which is basically Premed in terms of modules etc so I'd love to skip Premed if i can .
    Nuig Admissions told me if i can find someone who wants to swap they'd be happy to help out and organise it. Both people should register for what course they were offered regardless and then just approach them on campus .
    Of course im happy with medicine and count myself so blessed and am in no way complaining but if theres someone here or someone you know that would prefer to do the six year course and got five year course please drop me a quick email and we could arrange it !!!!!! :D

Email : dianaalrumhi1995 @ gmail.com

Hopefully theres someone whose looking to swap!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Daa95

i was put into the 5 year course in nuig but i was offered a higher preference on my cao yesterday so i wont be taking the place surely many 5 year spots will be vacant from others like me

• Advertisement

Daa95 wrote: »
    i was put into the 5 year course in nuig but i was offered a higher preference on my cao yesterday so i wont be taking the place surely many 5 year spots will be vacant from others like me

That makes sense :) I'd say they gave your spot to someone else ? I was just onto them earlier today and that's what they suggested so now I'm hoping to find someone

Fingers crossed ! :D

There's still a week or so anyways before proper lectures start !!

Congrats on getting a higher preference on your CAO!

Hey! I'm in the exact same boat as you! I was gonna post a similar message! I'm dying to swap Into the 5 year course! (Did NUIG 1st Science last year!) Pre Med is veeery similar according to a friend, so yeah, if a set of twins want to swap into the 6 Year Course instead of accepting the 5 Year Course, I'll be super grateful if ye'd drop me an email too! ;) cellaoc10 @ gmail.com ... Obviously email diana above first! But if there's anyone else looking to swap ... Id be ye're best friend for life! ;)<3

Hey! I'm in the exact same boat as you! I was gonna post a similar message! I'm dying to swap Into the 5 year course! (Did NUIG 1st Science last year!) Pre Med is veeery similar according to a friend, so yeah, if a set of twins want to swap into the 6 Year Course instead of accepting the 5 Year Course, I'll be super grateful if ye'd drop me an email too! ;) cellaoc10 @ gmail.com ... Obviously email diana above first! But if there's anyone else looking to swap ... Id be ye're best friend for life! ;)<3

Fingers crossed for us both :) it just makes no sense to do the same year twice :O

If nothing changes , you and I will be in the same course for six years , WOO :D

DianaA wrote: »
    Fingers crossed for us both :) it just makes no sense to do the same year twice :O

If nothing changes , you and I will be in the same course for six years , WOO :D

Haha It really doesnt! Needless to say, angry emails have been bitchily sent! ;) Haha let me know if you get changed! If we don't, we can mope for the year, skip all lectures, go drinking, and look forward to next year! :-D At least we're in the same boat! :d

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭leopard trek

Guys, quick question!
    On careersportal they seem to think that there's a portfolio/interview form medicine? Hoping to do it next year but I've never heard anything like this before.

Like a man in orthopedic shoes, I stand corrected.

Sixty-four distinct places would therefore have had to become available. That represents over thirteen percent of the number of medical places last year. There's no way that many people declined their offer. Perhaps more places were made available

Perhaps. There could have also been a large number of deferrals, and also students that applied from outside Ireland, particularly NI and UK may have been offered places but instead accepted places through UCAS and were using the CAO as a back up.

It does seem insane the number of declines given the type of student who applies for medicine but I'm sure there are some who do reject it when they decide they don't want to be a doctor.

There's possibly a cohort who apply for Graduate Medicine that also apply to the CAO for undergrad Medicine as a backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 galpal123

Got RCSI on 2nd round, delighted! Anyone else homeless too...?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ConorR32

Hey, I missed med in the end! But I was pretty close! :( You say you done a year in science, I'm doing the same in TCD and was wondering how did you get med for 2nd year?
    Did you just apply to the CAO again or was there a transfer process in the college? I'm wondering just so I can assess whether or not I should have another stab at the LC along with 1st year science or whether I should just work hard in College?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

ConorR32 wrote: »
    Hey, I missed med in the end! But I was pretty close! :( You say you done a year in science, I'm doing the same in TCD and was wondering how did you get med for 2nd year?
    Did you just apply to the CAO again or was there a transfer process in the college? I'm wondering just so I can assess whether or not I should have another stab at the LC along with 1st year science or whether I should just work hard in College?

You will have to do the hpat again anyway and also apply through the cao .

• Advertisement

I got medicine so it didn't affect me but does anybody else agree that the hpat is a complete joke. A test that measures how suited you are for the medical profession shouldn't change by 20+% over the course of one year imo. It is not the fault of the repeaters but rather the fault of the system.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement