Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options
1525354555658»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

cian casey wrote: »
    Galway have some sort of range up from last year as 740-785 although I'm not sure how accurate that is

UCD's range was 747-781. Can you link me the source of Galway's range? It would be surprising if NUIG's top-scorer was seven points ahead of UCD's. Personally, I think the inter-quartile range along with the median and minimum should be published. Galway's med school has ove twice as many undergrads as RCSI's, which skews the minimum and makes RCSI seem more sought-after.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

UCD's range was 747-781. Can you link me the source of Galway's range? It would be surprising if NUIG's top-scorer was seven points ahead of UCD's.
    A tiny bit, I suppose, but it's far from impossible. There will be people from Galway / Mayo / Clare who will put Galway first choice for travel / financial / personal preference reasons, and people from Cork / Kerry who will do the same for UCC. Nothing stopping someone like that from being among the top scorers nationally. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

A tiny bit, I suppose, but it's far from impossible. There will be people from Galway / Mayo / Clare who will put Galway first choice for travel / financial / personal preference reasons, and people from Cork / Kerry who will do the same for UCC. Nothing stopping someone like that from being among the top scorers nationally. ;)

I know what you mean. It was more the margin I found surprising, but I suppose the Hpat is responsible for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 charlie1653

It'd be very interesting to see the lowest leaving cert score someone got this year and still got med! I could have got 530 or lower depending on subsequent offers for instance.

Teachers are shocked when you tell them that you could have got med with 530.

Overall, I think it's going to be a lot higher next year!!

I kind of hate the phrase " The points have gone way down ".

Every time some one says it I feel I have to make sure they're not ignorant about why. But unless your interested in ' why ' then you'll probably be slightly ignorant.

What I'm getting at is there will be loads of more competition for Med because " The points have gone way down "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I wonder what the highest points were this year .
    I think the highest hpat score was 230. So if they scored 625 then their combined score would be 795. So close to breaking the 800 barrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It'd be very interesting to see the lowest leaving cert score someone got this year and still got med! I could have got 530 or lower depending on subsequent offers for instance.

Teachers are shocked when you tell them that you could have got med with 530.

Overall, I think it's going to be a lot higher next year!!

I kind of hate the phrase " The points have gone way down ".

Every time some one says it I feel I have to make sure they're not ignorant about why. But unless your interested in ' why ' then you'll probably be slightly ignorant.

What I'm getting at is there will be loads of more competition for Med because " The points have gone way down "

So what if there is loads of competition for medicine. Your comments sound really elitist, like you don't want anyone in there on less than 550 or whatever is generally deemed necessary normally for medicine.

And describing them as ignorant if they don't know the full details? You need to realise that the vast majority of people don't really care. To describe those people as ignorant is ignorance itself.

Incidentally I know a lad who got in with 515 points + HPAT

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I know someone got Medicine with 26 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

spurious wrote: »
    I know someone got Medicine with 26 points.
    Really, how?:confused: or is that sarcasm? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Way back when spurious was a grasshopper :pac:, there was ye olde pointes system where

HL A = 5
    HL B = 4
    HL C = 3
    HL D = 2

OL A = 2
    OL B = 1

and 26 was (for example) AABBBB ;)

In fairness to Charlie, I think she means "uninformed" rather than "ignorant", and she's more worried that the idea that "the points have gone down" will cause a big surge in demand for med because people don't understand why.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I wonder what the highest points were this year .
    I think the highest hpat score was 230. So if they scored 625 then their combined score would be 795. So close to breaking the 800 barrier.

There's at least one if not two people in TCD going into 2nd year who broke the 800! Though that was last year when points were still sky high, this year it's a whole different kettle of fish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Beca19 wrote: »
    Really, how?:confused: or is that sarcasm? :confused:

No really, as randylonghorn pointed out.

My point was - they are just numbers. The person involved didn't take Medicine in the end, but opted instead for a course which needed two HL Ds for entry, much to the disgust of the careers person who had strong-armed her into applying for Medicine "because she would get the points".

Anyway, off she went and did the other course, was paid a substantial salary by a major multi-national company all through her last year of college, to make sure she would come to work for them after graduation, got a Masters and Ph.D. quick smart and is Head of her Department in a major UK university now.

Who got the highest points means nothing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Header15

Got UCD yesterday on 730. There is someone really looking out for me up there

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jjC123

So what if there is loads of competition for medicine. Your comments sound really elitist, like you don't want anyone in there on less than 550 or whatever is generally deemed necessary normally for medicine.

And describing them as ignorant if they don't know the full details? You need to realise that the vast majority of people don't really care. To describe those people as ignorant is ignorance itself.

Incidentally I know a lad who got in with 515 points + HPAT

I don't think that that's what they meant. Its frustrating to hear someone comment that 'the points have gone way down' when it comes with the implication that people this year had a much easier time getting in than previous years which isn't true.
    And describing someone as ignorant because they don't know much on the subject isn't wrong - you're simply stating that they lack knowledge or awareness of something. I , for example, am ignorant of anything to do with engineering. Its not necessarily a negative thing. (I'm not trying to attack you here, I just think you took up that comment wrong)

jjC123 wrote: »
    I don't think that that's what they meant. Its frustrating to hear someone comment that 'the points have gone way down' when it comes with the implication that people this year had a much easier time getting in than previous years which isn't true.
    And describing someone as ignorant because they don't know much on the subject isn't wrong - you're simply stating that they lack knowledge or awareness of something. I , for example, am ignorant of anything to do with engineering. Its not necessarily a negative thing. (I'm not trying to attack you here, I just think you took up that comment wrong)

Why is it frustrating? It seems it's only frustrating to a certain cohort of medicine students, because it implies that they might have got in without a near perfect Leaving Cert, and god forbid anyone would think that of their Leaving Cert results.

Most people don't care about the points for medicine. Only people who are applying to the CAO for medicine care about the points for medicine. In the rest of the world, life goes on as normal.

Given that the HPAT was marked differently it meant that there were students who got in with less than 550 in the Leaving Cert, which hasn't been the case so much for the last few years. That in itself meant that it made medicine more accessible for some and easier to get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ryan95

Header15 wrote: »
    Got UCD yesterday on 730. There is someone really looking out for me up there

Congrats! It's fantastic you're going to love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Header15

Ryan95 wrote: »
    Congrats! It's fantastic you're going to love it!

Thanks. Really looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mog57

My recheck came back today and I have 20 additional points. This now gives me a total of 730. I know some people got in to UCD on 730. Am I entitled to an offer from UCD or is it random selection? Thanks :)

Mog57 wrote: »
    My recheck came back today and I have 20 additional points. This now gives me a total of 730. I know some people got in to UCD on 730. Am I entitled to an offer from UCD or is it random selection? Thanks :)

Were the people who got into UCD offered those places on random selection?

Were the people who got into UCD offered those places on random selection?[/QUOTE

I'm not sure! :/

Were the people who got into UCD offered those places on random selection?[/QUOTE

I'm not sure! :/

The CAO website shows the points for Round 2 Medicine in UCD as 731 on random selection.

• Advertisement

Thanks for info! :) I'm happy where I am, just wondering if moving is a possibility!

Thanks for info! :) I'm happy where I am, just wondering if moving is a possibility!

Any offers made by the CAO will be out tomorrow. Presumably if places have become freed up in UCD Medicine they will be offered to anyone on 731 first and then 730.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sal18c3

Got an offer on rechecks for next year, skipping premed couldn't be happier 😊

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement