Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

gabsy wrote: »
    Totally agree , I think bringing in the hpat just had a negative effect overall :/
    they say it help select better doctors but i swear i know some one last year with me that was chillling around smoking skipping classes and by a chance of luck got 218 while some of my friends are so serious about this that they were studying for it since 5th year they came out in the 160 range so i think its an absolute rubbish that we just have to put up with selecting better doctors they said haha some bull****!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gabsy

ahmdoda wrote: »
    they say it help select better doctors but i swear i know some one last year with me that was chillling around smoking skipping classes and by a chance of luck got 218 while some of my friends are so serious about this that they were studying for it since 5th year they came out in the 160 range so i think its an absolute rubbish that we just have to put up with selecting better doctors they said haha some bull****!!!
    Totally agree ! I know a few myself ! We can't do anything about it tho :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Got Practice Test 2 and the extra one so I'll have a look at that some time this week or at the weekend :)

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    Got Practice Test 2 and the extra one so I'll have a look at that some time this week or at the weekend :)

Mind them the are your bible ! :P I'd advise you to save one closer to the time of the exam :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PsYcOsIs

Have practice test 1 and 2 does anyone know is any more material available? official or otherwise? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Alison44

Hello!

I've set up a group on Med Entry Hpat Course and am looking for someone to join so that we can avail of the group discount. It's €625 for joining alone, or €385 per person in a group of 2 members minimum.

Please pm me as soon as possible if you are interested.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Alison44

Hi there, my group is now full.. Best of luck to everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Dahecall

Hi to all. I am currently doing eng Irish maths French accounting chemistry and geography. Unfortunately biology is on same time as chemistry and as that is needed for some courses I chose it. The only other science subject clashes with French and as this can be a course requirement in some courses I chose it incase I change my mind. At this moment in fifth year my favourite subjects are chemistry and maths. Would I need to biology to study med or is chem ok. I was just wondering if these subjects would be ok to do medicine. Also regarding points I only got 4 As and 7 Bs in the JC as I put in the minimal effort needed so would I be able to attain the high points needed. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this

I'm doing Chemistry and Physics and planning on going for medicine. My friend (very reliable source, I know lol :pac:) said that what you learn in the LC in Biology is like 3% of what you learn in 3rd level so I don't think you'll be at a huge disadvantage in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭iwasonbwh

Chemistry is much more important that biology as far as I can see, I think UCD only require one science anyway so you're sorted from that point of view.
    Unless you apply to the UK, JC doesn't matter. As you're thinking of applying to medicine I'm sure you're well able to put in the work needed to get the grades... Good luck anyway :D

• Advertisement

Went to a HPAT induction thing this evening where people from Acer just gave all the details but my god did they slate the prep courses !! :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

Went to a HPAT induction thing this evening where people from Acer just gave all the details but my god did they slate the prep courses !! :O
    ha what did they say about them/?

ahmdoda wrote: »
    ha what did they say about them/?
    That we shouldn't be doing them as they're a waste of money and we should be able to feel confident without help as such :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Flickka

In NUIG? I was there too...

Apparently they can be highly detrimental to your HPAT score also :p

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Just a question, why all the hate for the HPAT.. Sure scores can be unpredictable but it gives students who don't get 600 points a greater chance. You can theoretically get 480 points and do Medicine. I know that doesn't happen but I actually like the HPAT because if it wasn't there I'd have to get like 625 points which would possibly kill me..

Anyone here at higher options today? The woman giving the talk said your HPAT result is only valid for one year, not two :s

Flickka wrote: »
    In NUIG? I was there too...

Apparently they can be highly detrimental to your HPAT score also :p

Yeah :D I didn't find them very helpful to be honest ....

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    Anyone here at higher options today? The woman giving the talk said your HPAT result is only valid for one year, not two :s

They're the new changes in the hpat :)

yoyojc wrote: »
    Just a question, why all the hate for the HPAT.. Sure scores can be unpredictable but it gives students who don't get 600 points a greater chance. You can theoretically get 480 points and do Medicine. I know that doesn't happen but I actually like the HPAT because if it wasn't there I'd have to get like 625 points which would possibly kill me..
    I agree in a way but in my opinion it's adding so much pressure to each student , study wise and money wise if you decide to get prep courses. I'd much prefer if there was an interview but that's just me... 625 points would also kill me ...

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Is the asterix thing on the TCD medicine course points requirement the LC points and HPAT combined?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

Is the asterix thing on the TCD medicine course points requirement the LC points and HPAT combined?

No, that indicates random selection at those points.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 stevefennelly

Well it's the start of 5th year for me, back to school, back to deciding on what I want to do in life and all that jazz..:) As a career I want to do medicine but the career guidance in my school is terrible and I'd rather ask for information here.

I know i'll need 6 A1's and that's grand, doing 2 science subjects, chem and biology but not doing a language. Do I need to pick a language up now or can I get away without it? I'm fairly sure Trinity accepts Irish as a second language at least.

I know for a fact I won't be able to afford it myself without grants, where can I find out some information on that too. Can someone direct me to somewhere with all the necessary information on the matter or walk me through the requirements for actually doing medicine.

If I missed anything that you think I should know about, tell me :D. Also if anyone has actually got 6 A1's in the leaving how much study should I be doing aside from homework. It's obviously personal preference but I don't want to burn myself out this early. It's still only fifth year, I have plenty of time to perfect my study method.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You don't need 6 A1s. Do you know about the HPAT?

Grants are handled by SUSI and what you get depends on your parents' income.

I'll move this to a thread where people who know more can help you.

Moving it to the 2014 thread, which I know is a year early, but it's an active thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bzaq

Hello!

I've set up a group on Med Entry Hpat Course and am looking for someone to join so that we can avail of the group discount.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 stevefennelly

I'll have a look at the Susi website, I know about the hpat and 6 A1's was exaggerating, I know I won't need that many points :P Thanks for moving me too, I only noticed this thread after I made the other and couldn't delete it.

When should I look into the hpat? Is that an early 6th year thing or should I buy the worksheets about the HPAT that you can buy online now?

You'll get a free practice test when you register in November but its up to you if you want to get more practice material. I got the practice test 2 and the extra practice test for myself but its not necessary :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Brian.100

Hello everyone!
    Just wondering if there is anyone up for doing a Med Entry HPAT preparation course this year? If I can find a few people we can all get it for €385 instead of €625 each! PM me if anyone is interested, Thanks! :D
    Bzaq wrote: »
    Hello!

I've set up a group on Med Entry Hpat Course and am looking for someone to join so that we can avail of the group discount.

Thank you.
    PMd you there

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

Honestly, the HPAT is ridiculous (some of you may think the opposite) but I have seen other medical aptitude tests and they have far more logic than the HPAT. It's more about how much can you practice those questions and get high points. Some students wouldn't have any interest in becoming a doctor and just because they are "A1" students they opt for medicine. Whereas students who genuinely want to study medicine don't get in because of the HPAT :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Oh well...It's tough..but so is life :rolleyes:

We can't do any more than our best, and if it doesn't work out, there's other ways or it just wasn't meant to be and you might end up doing a course that suited you better than medicine.

I've just been trying to convince myself lately that the HPAT isn't all that bad. let's just give it a shot and see how it goes, after all, that's all we can do! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

miissjuly wrote: »
    Honestly, the HPAT is ridiculous (some of you may think the opposite) but I have seen other medical aptitude tests and they have far more logic than the HPAT. It's more about how much can you practice those questions and get high points. Some students wouldn't have any interest in becoming a doctor and just because they are "A1" students they opt for medicine. Whereas students who genuinely want to study medicine don't get in because of the HPAT :mad:

You could say the exact same thing for the previous system though, that people who would make excellent doctors couldn't do it because they couldn't get 590/600 points! There's no perfect system, nor will there ever be one so its just a case of putting up with it and giving it your best shot!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement