Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health care insurance ? travel insurance ?

Options
  • 26-10-2012 3:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Maybe a stupid question but im new to alberta . I took out travel insurance for myself before I left ireland as requirements of Canadian immigration .apparently it will pay medical expenses up to 5million and dental up to $200 . cost about E200 for the year.
    does anyone think should I take out health care insurance with my job aswell . they are only paying 50% .which will cost me at least $60 per month .
    also is alberta health care not free ????

what do most people on here do ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

Alberta health is free if you signed up. This covers going to the doc and hospital etc.

If you get health insurance with work it will cover Ambulance trips, prescriptions, physio, etc which you have to still pay for in Alberta. Most companies benefits aren't optional though you just chose the level of cover.

I personally would take the work benefits, as everything is paid for by them up front if you use your travel insurance you will have to pay for things and claim it back.

Also if you plan on staying longer than your holiday visa you may aswell get these things in place now.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

Thanks for the quick reply bstar .
    well they say alberta health care is free but its not exactly true . I mean if your entiltled in ireland to a medical card gp visits , pills, ambulance , hospitals, operations all are free .
    I guess without paying for health insurance here your kinda screwed .

well any hospital stay etc is free. Theres no admitance fee or anything like there is at A &E in Ireland.

You really only pay for the same things you would pay for in Ireland if you didnt have a medical card.

Also having been in hospital here and used the drs etc. The healthcare here is amazing in comparison.

oh also my insurance is like 8 dollars every 2 weeks so you dont notice it at all coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

$10 sounds great .your company must be paying like 90% .
    $60 is abit much but its worth it I guess .

Are you driving here ? if so whats your experience with the driving license . Everyone I speak to has a different idea even the tax registry dont seem to know !!! how long can we drive on irish license ? from what i understand its 1 year ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement