Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer giving holidays for religious days

• 26-10-2012 4:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭

Working in a multi national and there are a few staff out tomorrow for Eid Mubarak.

I had to look that up, hadn't heard of it before

I know the story with unemployment in Ireland but if you're working does your employer give time off for religious days?
    I'm just trying to see if it's a common policy, I wasn't aware of it before yesterday.

3 days here.
    You can take the days off and don't have to use your annual leave

You don't have to take them, just if certain days are important to your faith you can request it from the bosses.

Nice bonus for the staff I suppose

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

It is common policy where I work. We close for Christmas and Easter, which facilitates most workers, as most are Christian.

Those of other religious faiths may use annual leave on the days that are significant to their faith. It is better not to be obvious about this, because I have noticed a subtle form of discrimination may become associated with it. It can be predicted that X person will be absent on a particular day associated with their religious faith, so important meetings/events are scheduled for that day, in order to make sure that this person cannot attend. It is a subtle form of discrimination, based on religious faith/race. This is a problem in some workplaces, but I have not noticed it in mine.

Advertisement