Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Public Holiday

• 26-10-2012 7:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

I recently started working 12 hour shifts and am wondering what the situation is as regards working on a public holiday.

I have worked for the company for a 1 year period doing a regular 8 hours a day 5 days a week.

I have had all previous public holidays off and have been paid for them.

I have been told that I have to work 4 hours on public holidays going forward as a public holiday only entitles an employee to 8 hours off.

Is this correct and if it is can someone point me in the direction of the proper information as I can't find this in any employee regulations.

I have no contract of employment and have not been asked to sign a contract since taking up this position.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Hi I just came to post a very similar thread it can be hard to find information as regards shift work and allowances, I work most public holidays, not meaning to hi-jack the thread op just adding one or two questions I hope you dont mind :o.

One is if I work a twelve hour shift on a public holiday what should I be entitled to pay wise as currently I dont recieve any extra wages for doing so?

Also if you are rostered in on public holidays do you have to work them regardless or is there some legislation as regards notice etc?

Thanks and op if you wish me to remove this post just ask.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/public_holidays_in_ireland.html
    Your entitlement to public holidays is set out in the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997. Most employees are entitled to paid leave on public holidays. One exception is part-time employees who have not worked for their employer at least 40 hours in total in the 5 weeks before the public holiday.

Employees who qualify will be entitled to one of the following:

A paid day off on the public holiday
    An additional day of annual leave
    An additional day's pay
    A paid day off within a month of the public holiday

The Organisation of Working Time Act provides that you may ask your employer at least 21 days before a public holiday, which of the alternatives will apply. If your employer fails to respond at least 14 days before the public holiday, you are entitled to take the actual public holiday as a paid day off.

Yeh I seen that but I just want to make sure the same rules apply for people who work twelve hour shifts as i work three twelve hour shifts a week continental shift, and I dont always work Mondays so do the same rules apply.

I just want to be clear on this before I approach my boss.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yeh I seen that but I just want to make sure the same rules apply for people who work twelve hour shifts as i work three twelve hour shifts a week continental shift, and I dont always work Mondays so do the same rules apply.

I just want to be clear on this before I approach my boss.
    No notice that you'll work it if it is part of your normal rotation; if you don't work it you get 1/5th of your weekly wage (if you do work it's based on the hours worked).

Nody wrote: »
    No notice that you'll work it if it is part of your normal rotation; if you don't work it you get 1/5th of your weekly wage (if you do work it's based on the hours worked).

Cheers. So im working a normal 12 hour shift tomorrow 7 a.m to 7 p.m do I take it that means im entitled to 24 hours worth of pay for it or a days holiday earned for it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Cheers. So im working a normal 12 hour shift tomorrow 7 a.m to 7 p.m do I take it that means im entitled to 24 hours worth of pay for it or a days holiday earned for it?
    Correct.

Nody wrote: »
    Correct.

Thanks for the help, now to approach the boss tomorow should be fun he hates anyone questioning him :cool:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

@ OP - I could be a little off here, but AFAIK if you've been working the 12 hour shifts for quite a while, you should be entitled to a FULL paid day off, or double time/paid day off in lieu if you work it. If you normally work a 12 hour shift, that's what you should be paid for, not 8 hours.

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    @ OP - I could be a little off here, but AFAIK if you've been working the 12 hour shifts for quite a while, you should be entitled to a FULL paid day off, or double time/paid day off in lieu if you work it. If you normally work a 12 hour shift, that's what you should be paid for, not 8 hours.
    Incorrect; if you do not work a bank holiday you're only entitled to 1/5th of the weekly salary; you can find this confirmed on page 14 in the explanatory booklets on holidays and public holidays in section 3.5 second paragraph which is posted on Citizen Information. If you do work a bank holiday you're entitled to the hours worked as additional pay/holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

My mistake, sorry!

• Advertisement
Advertisement