Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coffee beans grounded?

• 26-10-2012 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Anyone know where I could get whole coffee beans ground down?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Galway Roast will do it for ya I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Better still, if you're going to use beans on a regular basis, much nicer than pre-ground, invest in a coffee grinder.
    At a push you can use a food processor.

Amazon have them from around 15 euro, so you should be able to get one locally for a reasonable price.

If you go abroad at all, bring beans back with you they are much cheaper in France, Spain and Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Archer Hack

mccambridges have some pretty good freshly ground coffees. as mentioned though, can't beat a cheap spice/coffee/nut blender off amazon for 15 quid and grinding your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hats199

Thanks for the replies, I've found amazing coffee from http://www.hasbean.co.uk/ but they sent me whole beans by mistake instead of ground stuff. I suppose if I'm going to the effort of getting coffee from overseas I may aswell grind it freshly myself. Ahhhh coffee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

If you're using a French press to make your coffee then the cheaper blade type grinders would be ok but if you are using an espresso machine these grinders will not give you a fine enough grind. For that you need a burr grinder which are much more expensive although you can get manual burr grinders for cheap if you don't mind putting the elbow grease in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I've got a Spong manual grinder and yes it does need elbow grease if you want a finely ground coffee. I've had it for about 30 years now. How many electric ones would I have got through in that time?.

But there's a certain personal satisfaction in grinding the beans this way. Electric machines have no personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway -> Coffee

I can just chime in with the others, get beans and grind it at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

hats199 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, I've found amazing coffee from http://www.hasbean.co.uk/ but they sent me whole beans by mistake instead of ground stuff. I suppose if I'm going to the effort of getting coffee from overseas I may aswell grind it freshly myself. Ahhhh coffee

If you mail Steve in HasBean he may be able to help you out, especially if they sent you whole beans by accident.
    HasBeans customer service is second to none and he should be able to help you out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Whirly blades don't grind beans they smash them to bits. Buy a little manual grinder or splash out for a good electric one but you need a burr type grinder for coffee beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hats199

Well, I had a look in town and the manual grinders certainly look the business, they're pretty expensve though (and the thought of grappling with one at 8am every morning is fairly unappealing) so I think I'll just send the beans back and get Has Bean to grind them down for me. Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭mandarin

You can get decent hand grinders (eg Hario, Porlex) for around 30-40 euro from likes of Badger and Dodo, Hasbean, Amazon etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Wigsy

hats199 wrote: »
    Well, I had a look in town and the manual grinders certainly look the business, they're pretty expensve though (and the thought of grappling with one at 8am every morning is fairly unappealing) so I think I'll just send the beans back and get Has Bean to grind them down for me. Thanks again

Had you considered asking somewhere like 3FE coffee to grind them for you as they have close ties to Hasbean ?

Advertisement