Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Groin-grabbingly horrible!

• 26-10-2012 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

:eek: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/footballer-cleared-of-causing-horror-injury-to-opponent-on-pitch-3272837.html

Hope this lad is taken for every penny in the civil action! F*ckin scumbag! Wonder how the kid is now.

A young footballer who grabbed another player's testicles tearing his scrotum has been cleared of assault.

Darren Morgan (21), of Elm Grove, Rockfield, Kells, Co Meath, had pleaded not guilty at Trim Circuit Court to assault causing harm to Shane Ryan (19), of Garristown, Co Meath, at Skryne GAA grounds, Skryne, Dunshaughlin, Co Meath, on September 25, 2009.

Mr Morgan had been playing full-back for Round Towers of Kells while Mr Ryan had been playing half-forward for St Vincents/Curraha in the semi-final of the minor county championship at the time.

Mr Ryan had told the court that early in the game Mr Morgan had come through a scuffle of players, grabbed him and knocked him to the ground.

He added that Mr Morgan later made a groin-grabbing gesture to the player who was marking him.

A short time later Shane Ryan scored a goal and following this he was assaulted by Mr Morgan, the court heard.

"He squared up to me as if he was going to headbutt me but instead he grabbed my testicles, squeezed and pulled.

"He laughed at me. I looked into my shorts and there was no scrotum there," Mr Ryan said. He added that he was screaming in pain and his shorts were covered in blood.

He said he was in such pain that he could not go down on the ground and left the pitch, adding that the referee would not stop the game as he was then off the field of play.

The court heard Mr Ryan was given first aid in the dressing room where he went into a panic attack before being taken by ambulance to Our Lady's Hospital in Navan.

He was released from hospital after a number of days.

Mr Ryan agreed with defence that he was taking a civil action against the defendant and the GAA but denied he was doing it for money.

"I'm doing it for justice," he said.

Mr Morgan told Garda Shane Dooley that while trying to stop Mr Ryan get the football he had grabbed the player by the testicles accidentally and had not meant to hurt him.

"I grabbed him by the balls, I meant to grab his shorts or jersey. I didn't mean to grab so hard," he said.

He denied making gestures at Shane Ryan or attempting to headbutt him or sneering at him.

He said that when the game was over the players had been advised to take off their jerseys as the father of the injured player was going mad looking for whoever had injured his son.

Asked by the defence how the media got hold of the story Gda Dooley said there were a lot of people at the match and they were talking about it but were not talking to the gardai.

A number of witnesses who had attended the match said they had seen Mr Ryan in distress on the pitch but had not seen how he had gotten injured.

Francis McNulty, who was co-manager of the St Vincents team, said it had been a very free-flowing competitive match.

"He was one of the best players," said Mr McNulty.

'Distress'

Following an attack by his team, the ball was cleared down the field and there was "a coming together of players", according to the witness.

"I was standing at the halfway line. Shane Ryan was on the pitch right in front of me in extreme distress.

"He said he could not go down on the ground and I took him off," said Mr McNulty.

After the conclusion of evidence, the jury of seven men and five women took two hours to return a not guilty verdict to a burst of applause from friends of Mr Morgan.

Neither Mr Morgan nor Mr Ryan would make any comment when they left the court yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Pure and utter scumbag, can't understand how he got off.

"...meant to grab his shorts or jersey.."

Pull the other one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

It seems in this case he played the ball(s) AND the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yet another shocking instance of the Irish "Justice" system at work. His family and friends were applauding as he got off? Sound like a right bunch of scumbags to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Urgh!! Jaysus!! :eek:

Poor chap. Was it a repairable injury??

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

Il Trap wrote: »

After the conclusion of evidence, the jury of seven men and five women took two hours to return a not guilty verdict to a burst of applause from friends of Mr Morgan.
    QUOTE]

Horrible cnuts.

Hopefully young lad is 100% now.

Yer man who did it is a right knacker. A much bigger lad aswell. A proper hard man! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

How the F does he get cleared of assault FFS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the case, the friends who burst into applause are truly disgusting given the circumstances. Should be held in contempt of court.

Hope the guy is doing ok now, horrendous thing to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Mindboggling that if this sort of sh*t happens on a GAA playing field it's somehow 'ok'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Hal Decks

How this despicable assailant got off is bewildering. The evidence was overwhelming.
    As for the cheers and applause? Sums up the type of people involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

More GAA ill-discipline and shameful behaviour from the cowardly witnesses who saw what happened but maintain silence thereafter. As for cheering in court, doesn't deserve comment.

I'm not anti-GAA before I get attacked for the above. I love watching the skilful elements of top-class hurling; but the Association has a massive problem with discipline and violence between players and amongst fans and I'm also fed up of the reading about attacks on referees. Yet if anyone from outside the GAA dares to criticise the GAA they're roundly and uniformily condemned by those within GAA ranks. These incidents would not be tolerated in other codes, yet are an all too frequent occurence in GAA; with laughable "investigations" and punishments handed out when they are investigated - often it's easier to turn a blind eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,465 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

The Jury hadn't the balls to find him guilty, disgraceful. Hope the lad is ok now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tipptopper

What sort of an animal would do that eh! As for his family and friends bursting in to applause after the verdict, well done..You must be very proud of yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

"He laughed at me. I looked into my shorts and there was no scrotum there," Mr Ryan said. He added that he was screaming in pain and his shorts were covered in blood."

holy sh1t!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Pure and utter scumbag, can't understand how he got off.

"...meant to grab his shorts or jersey.."

Pull the other one.

I think he did. Does that make him gay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

It's cases like this where you really do want to believe that karma exists and will return at some point in an even stronger manor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

They played on after a guy had his nut sack torn off? Off the field or not, I think it's wrong. Jesus, I even wince thinking about it, can only imagine the pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

if i was the father i'd get my own justice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tipptopper

Abi wrote: »
    They played on after a guy had his nut sack torn off? Off the field or not, I think it's wrong. Jesus, I even wince thinking about it, can only imagine the pain.

I had me legs crossed reading it :D, jesus christ I can only imagine the pain that poor bastard was in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Jesus how is it even physically possible to tear someones scrotum off???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

OH my God. I mean. . . j*sus. I don't even have a scrotum and that made me wince. The poor poor lad, sure he's only a young fella. Is he better now, is he infertile? Who the f*ck was applauding that? Savages. Remind me to avoid Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Jesus how is it even physically possible to tear someones scrotum off???
    Do we really want to imagine it? :eek:

I nearly passed out reading the bit about blood being all over his shorts. Holy fück :(

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

Christ, I hope that was repairable. Also crossing my legs reading about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Pure and utter scumbag, can't understand how he got them off.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

So the referee kept the game going? He's one dedicated professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Mindboggling that if this sort of sh*t happens on a GAA playing field it's somehow 'ok'.
    More GAA ill-discipline and shameful behaviour from the cowardly witnesses who saw what happened but maintain silence thereafter. As for cheering in court, doesn't deserve comment.

I'm not anti-GAA before I get attacked for the above. I love watching the skilful elements of top-class hurling; but the Association has a massive problem with discipline and violence between players and amongst fans and I'm also fed up of the reading about attacks on referees. Yet if anyone from outside the GAA dares to criticise the GAA they're roundly and uniformily condemned by those within GAA ranks. These incidents would not be tolerated in other codes, yet are an all too frequent occurence in GAA; with laughable "investigations" and punishments handed out when they are investigated - often it's easier to turn a blind eye.

assault on a sports field is not exclusive to the GAA.

i'll never understand why some people think that what happens in sport shouldn't have consequences off it. assault is assault. you shouldn't be able to hide behind the excuse of tackling or whatever to justify it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

There must have been some serious force involved to tear that mans scrotum off through a pair of shorts, i didn't think that could be done at all, let alone by "accident".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

1210m5g wrote: »
    There must have been some serious force involved to tear that mans scrotum off through a pair of shorts, i didn't think that could be done at all, let alone by accident.
    I heard stories of scrotum tearing due to catching a stray boot (accidental). However I can't believe for one minute what happened in this case was an accident. Scumbag thought he was being a Vinnie Jones-esque hardman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/mens_health_issues/penile_and_testicular_disorders/injuries_to_the_penis_and_scrotum.html
    When the scrotum is torn off, the testes can die or lose their capacity for hormone or sperm production. Surgery to cover the testes by reconstructing the scrotum or simply by burying them under the skin of the thighs protects the testes.
    Hope they were able to stitch him back up.

Either way, I hope the victim receives consoling as this will be devastating when it finally sinks in, if it hasn't already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

I'm so confused about what happened:O Is hea able to have sex? Does he still have testes? Did he just tear the skin or did he litteraly tear the whole thing off?:O

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SandyRamp

i think there is more to this case than the media reported. I have heard from a number of people that the lad in question had recently had surgery on his scrotum and still had stitches in place. The other lad tore open the stitches when he tackled him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

he accidently did this while trying to pull his jersey? what aload of shíte...

i think the average scumbag on the street has more of ethics than to rip a mans testicals off, as for the people jeering in
    the court it just adds insult to injury...

You can see why people get tempted into taking the law into their own hands, i dont condone street justice but i definately can understand why people get driven to it

SandyRamp wrote: »
    i think there is more to this case than the media reported. I have heard from a number of people that the lad in question had recently had surgery on his scrotum and still had stitches in place. The other lad tore open the stitches when he tackled him.

that would change things, it would be a very bad article if that is the case...

although it seems odd that he would make that gesture about squeezing his testicals, sounds like the culprit may have been aware of his stiches if that proves to be the case...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

That referee should get the sac.

davet82 wrote: »
    that would change things, it would be a very bad article if that is the case...

although it seems odd that he would make that gesture about squeezing his testicals, sounds like the culprit may have been aware of his stiches if that proves to be the case...

I don't know about that as I wasn't there, I suppose it is possible. I do know from a few people who were at that match and supporting the injured players team that they were under the impression also that it was just a bad tackle gone very wrong. Understandably the victim's father was furious, but I am not sure the case should have gone as far as it did tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

I don't know about that as I wasn't there, I suppose it is possible. I do know from a few people who were at that match and supporting the injured players team that they were under the impression also that it was just a bad tackle gone very wrong. Understandably the victim's father was furious, but I am not sure the case should have gone as far as it did tbh.

why?

it appears to be deliberate from the newspaper report

assault on a sports field is not exclusive to the GAA.

i'll never understand why some people think that what happens in sport shouldn't have consequences off it. assault is assault. you shouldn't be able to hide behind the excuse of tackling or whatever to justify it.

I didn't say that assaults like this don't occur in other sports; we all know that they do - it just seems like the frequency of these types of incidents seems all the more common to GAA. However, were this to occur in most other sports the perpetrator would receive a lengthy ban - and I have yet to read of any ban imposed on this particular individual. It's not exaggerating either to say there would be more co-operation in investigating an incident like this were it to occur outside of the GAA from all parties - players, officials and supporters.

What disturbs me most however is the conspiracy of collective silence from the witnesses. They are almost as cowardly in their refusal to simply tell the truth about what they witnessed as the perpetrator. It's this tribal/protect our own at all costs/the whole world is against us mentality that sickens me. It's "protect the image of the GAA at all costs" in their minds - yet they don't realise that it's the damage caused by not confronting and dealing severely with these incidents that ultimately does more reputational damage than the incidents themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

1210m5g wrote: »
    That referee should get the sac.

Not funny, the guy was practically castrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I think the judge should have advised the jury that the laws of Ireland do apply on a GAA pitch.

Sorry, not sure of the logic here....

Are you saying it's ok to grab and squeeze (which the perpetrator himself admitted) an opponent's testicles during a match if they don't have stitches on their scrotum at the time, but not if they do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

Haven't heard that before, where did you hear it?

Also, wasn't this an off the ball incident? How can you tackle someone when they're not in play?:confused:

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

In the photos in the link it appears to show a defendent walking with his head held high and a plaintiff with his head hanging. Speaks volumes about the effect the incident has had on the lads involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Furious_George

Fukcing disgusting result by the jury. I don't watch Gaelic football any more because its just full of thugs laying into each other, and that's at inter-county level, at local level its even worse. At least hurling is too fast and skilful a game to have too much of this (although it does occur as in many sports).
    Justice system in this country is broken.

bladespin wrote: »
    Haven't heard that before, where did you hear it?

Also, wasn't this an off the ball incident? How can you tackle someone when they're not in play?:confused:

I heard from people who were at that match. I wasn't at it so I don't know exactly what happened, it is what I was told.

M cebee wrote: »
    why?

it appears to be deliberate from the newspaper report

Yes, the tackle was supposedly deliberate but I don't think ripping the lads nuts off was!

The newspaper report is missing loads of details, the defendant got a lifetime ban from GAA and I think other sports too.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

Yes, the tackle was supposedly deliberate but I don't think ripping the lads nuts off was!

The newspaper report is missing loads of details, the defendant got a lifetime ban from GAA and I think other sports too.
    How is the plaintiff, do you know? Is he (will he ever be!) back to normal again?

F*ck the defendant, the cretin.

Il Trap wrote: »
    How is the plaintiff, do you know? Is he (will he ever be!) back to normal again?

F*ck the defendant, the cretin.

I think everything is hunky dory again, last I heard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Shower of f*cking inbreds, the group who applauded the verdict.

How about someone goes up to the little after party they're probably having and start ripping some tits off the women ?

I think the ban would be a greater indication of his guilt i'd imagine?

As for not meaning it, how many times have we heard that as a line of defence, not good enough imo

It was a strangley cruel and shockingly callous thing to do to somebody.

davet82 wrote: »
    I think the ban would be a greater indication of his guilt i'd imagine?

As for not meaning it, how many times have we heard that as a line of defence, not good enough imo

It was a strangley cruel and shockingly callous thing to do to somebody.

I wonder if the ban will be lifted now that he was found not guilty?

• Advertisement
Advertisement