Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Groin-grabbingly horrible!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

SandyRamp wrote: »
    i think there is more to this case than the media reported. I have heard from a number of people that the lad in question had recently had surgery on his scrotum and still had stitches in place. The other lad tore open the stitches when he tackled him.
    Would a player be allowed to play with stitches, especially in his scrotum?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SandyRamp

Would a player be allowed to play with stitches, especially in his scrotum?

I don't think he was meant to be playing, as far as I can recall there was huge controversy over it at the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

I wonder if the ban will be lifted now that he was found not guilty?

well that would be the 'right' thing to do i suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Not funny, the guy was practically castrated.

No he wasnt - he had his scrotum torn. Your statment above is like comparing scalping to decapitation.

Also from the articles it would appear to be the word of the defendant vs the word of the plaintiff.

There doesnt seem to be any evidence at all except that the guys scrotum was torn. No reliable witness, no CCTV, no evidence of intent etc - now thats a sad refelction on the GAA mentality (the lack of willing witnesses) but with no evidence there is weak ground for a criminal conviction. Even more so if it turns out he had stitches as mentioned above.

If the defendant was on the ground and tried to pull the injured persons shorts to hold him back and had long fingernails I would think its possible to tear the scrotum - its only a loose bag of skin. So there is enough doubt there to clear him IMO.

From the article I think its difficult to really get a clear idea of the truth.

Still dont let that deter a good old AH cyber lynch mob from going off one on based on their own knee jerk reactions or opions on GAA thuggery (personlly I hate GAA). Do you all buy the Daily Mail by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

bladespin wrote: »
    Also, wasn't this an off the ball incident?

Interesting choice of phrasing!

I don't think he was meant to be playing, as far as I can recall there was huge controversy over it at the time!

so it was common knowledge that this guy shouldn't have been playing before the match?

i've seen this on a number of websites including rte and they say the lad required stiches because of the injury recieved not that an injury was aggravated, i get the feeling you maybe have been misinformed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

Another great example of our great justice-system. Well done judge

Mont wrote: »

nothing the judge could do if he was found innocent tbf

davet82 wrote: »
    so it was common knowledge that this guy shouldn't have been playing before the match?

i've seen this on a number of websites including rte and they say the lad required stiches because of the injury recieved not that an injury was aggravated, i get the feeling you maybe have been misinformed?

I don't think so, the initial story I heard the day of the match was that his stitches had burst because of a tackle, and this was from people who were there and knew him. It must have been common enough knowledge. As well as this the controversy afterwards was due to the fact that he shouldn't have been playing in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

Ok I am going to throw this out there, only my immediate family and boyfriend know about this as I am afraid of being labelled a nutjob if I tell anyone about what I seen!

About a year ago I was driving home from a party, it was late enough, after midnight probably, and my mum and brother were in the car with me. It was a really narrow, country road, no street lights or anything.

Anyway, I came around a bend in the road, and my headlights reflected off a pair of eyes in the middle of the road, a good bit ahead of me. I thought to myself it was a cat or a fox or something, but it struck me that they eyes were about 3-4 feet off the ground, and were a LOT bigger than those of a cat or fox. Also, they reflected differently, I can't quite describe it but they were a cloudy white colour, and huge!

As I got a bit closer, I noticed the body of the creature. It was covered in fur, and was walking, upright, into the ditch, all the time with its head turned towards us and eyes fixed on the car.

What freaked me out most was the fact that even though I was driving towards it, it walked so slowly into the ditch, staring us out of it. The only way I could describe the body was monkey-like, though it stood straight up as it walked.

If my mam and brother hadn't seen it, I would have really doubted myself, but they saw the exact same thing as me. It scared me so much that I couldn't even speak about it for months afterwards, I still get shivers dowm my spine even now thinking about it!

I'm just not quite sure that you're the most reliable source of information. Something niggles me a bit.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

If this is true it might explain the verdict. The force needed to tear stitches would be less than the force needed to tear healthy tissue. He willingly played with an injury.

I'm not in any way justifying what happened, and the reaction in court was appalling.

Odelay wrote: »
    I'm just not quite sure that you're the most reliable source of information. Something niggles me a bit.....

God yeah, something strange happened to me once so that must mean that I am totally incapable of hearing/understanding ANYTHING else??
    Fup off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Riddle101 wrote: »
    So the referee kept the game going? He's one dedicated professional amateur.

Now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

Interesting choice of phrasing!

Really? :confused: He either had possession or he didn't, at the time of the 'incident' he didn't, technically it would have been a foul, can't understand how it could have been an accidental foul either.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I immediately regret reading that article :eek:

Unbelievable that he got off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I looked into my shorts and there was no scrotum there

Christ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Mont wrote: »

Absolutely typical of the clichéd anti-judge comments that appear on AH. What exactly did you want the judge to do? Overturn the decision of a jury?

And how could we go about fixing the apparently shattered justice system in our country? I can't think of any better system than having a jury of your peers deciding if you're guilty or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Absolutely typical of the clichéd anti-judge comments that appear on AH. What exactly did you want the judge to do? Overturn the decision of a jury?

And how could we go about fixing the apparently shattered justice system in our country? I can't think of any better system than having a jury of your peers deciding if you're guilty or not.

Infairness generally these 'cliched' comments towards judges are normally over easy sentencing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

It is something which has crept into GAA over the last few years and Tyrone's Ryan McMenamin can be seen here doing it to Paul Galvin in a league game a few years back. It is a real low thing to do and anyone who does it is only gutter scum.

Advertisement