Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which sensor?

Options
  • 26-10-2012 9:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Am currently getting quotes for a house alarm.
    Detached 3 bed in the country, single glazed windows x10 & 2 doors.
    company "A" say vibration sensors for windows/doors
    company "B" say light beam sensors " " " .
    Maybe 2/3 motion detectors inside as well.
    Prices are within €150 of each other.
    Any suggestions which to go for ( or others) welcome.
    Dogs stay in kitchen/utility at night.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Shock/reed sensors on all accessable doors/windows and 1-3 motions for verification purposes . Wired or wireless ?
    . If you only use beams they have to be inside before they set them off

???? That's normally what good companies will do .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

What's a light beam sensor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭hughjohn

it will be a wireless system as there has been no alarm before.

What about birds hitting the window?

What's a light beam sensor?

Basically an invisible curtain , when the beam is broken alarm goes off.

• Advertisement

Think he means PIRs .. Did he tell you birds fly into the windows and set vibration sensors off ? Sounds like he's just looking for an easy job ..
    I've never had a bird fly into my windows and they all have shock sensors on them.
    What system are they looking to put in ?

Think he means PIRs .. Did he tell you birds fly into the windows and set vibration sensors off ? Sounds like he's just looking for an easy job ..
    I've never had a bird fly into my windows and they all have shock sensors on them.
    What system are they looking to put in ?

Yes. Also said that hail or even heavy rain could set them off and that they were old technology and these "beam curtains " or "sheet sensors" were the latest best thing.

Was quoted 1200 for 6 of these beam sensors(for kitchen utility ) and 2 motion detectors ( 1 in hall, 1 in sitting rm)

I have been in the house and witness small birds fly into window though.

Do you say shock sensors are old technology?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Amazing, keep away from this guy. Don't suppose he happened to mention the amount of damage that could be caused to your windows by a burglar without even activating your alarm.
    Shock sensors & contacts on all accessible windows is the first & best line of defense. A couple of PiRs after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

There was a fella installing around my area last year who was recommending curtain beams instead of shocks and contacts.

I couldn't figure it out until I was told one of our suppliers were selling them off for next to nothing and some installers literally bought them by the pallet load.

That explained everything.

No way are they old technology .. They detect the burglar trying to break in . With the curtain beams he's already destroyed the windows and is in the house . If your having problems with birds flying into the windows you could ask an installer to set the system up so that if the shock sensor is triggered you will get a text but have no sirens ring unless the window AND motion detectors are tripped . He could also set it that if the motion sensors are tripped the sirens go off straight away and you get a text ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I would advise the OP to go with Shock sensors and contacts as well. In 22 years I have only once experienced 1 house which had a problem with birds setting off the alarm. The system was reprogrammed and this fixed the problem.

I have a feeling that the guy who said shock sensors are old fashioned has some cheap control panel which would not be able to analyse inertia shock sensors. I think you will get much better value in going with the other quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

hughjohn wrote: »
    Am currently getting quotes for a house alarm.
    Detached 3 bed in the country, single glazed windows x10 & 2 doors.
    company "A" say vibration sensors for windows/doors
    company "B" say light beam sensors " " " .
    Maybe 2/3 motion detectors inside as well.
    Prices are within €150 of each other.
    Any suggestions which to go for ( or others) welcome.
    Dogs stay in kitchen/utility at night.
    What kind of shape are the windows in, single glazed windows with removable seals may not be suitable for shock sensors

Jnealon wrote: »
    What kind of shape are the windows in, single glazed windows with removable seals may not be suitable for shock sensors

Well they are good teak frames but at end of day the pane of glass is just putty holding it in place so maybe a burgler can remove glass , put hand in and inactivate sensor.

Thanks everyone for replies, they are all helpful. As said I have no experience of any sort of system , so want the best suited for my situation.
    Am aware that windows are a weak point but not about to change them as listed.
    Expect that I need to get more quotes & info before proceeding.

Advertisement