Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quote to repair a roof slate.

Options
  • 26-10-2012 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi all,

A slate on my roof is cracked and needs replacing. The house is old Georgian, two stories over basement so pretty tall.

Potential access to the slate through velux window (can see broken slate below it from window, but realistically probably not safest way to get access to roof).

Anyway, I just got a quote for €300 and want to check does this sound reasonable or should I get another quote? Presume most of this cost is for super long ladder or some sort of platform.

Any input appreciated. Want to get this fixed before it rains again.

Thanks,
    Gumby.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

Hi all,

A slate on my roof is cracked and needs replacing. The house is old Georgian, two stories over basement so pretty tall.

Potential access to the slate through velux window (can see broken slate below it from window, but realistically probably not safest way to get access to roof).

Anyway, I just got a quote for €300 and want to check does this sound reasonable or should I get another quote? Presume most of this cost is for super long ladder or some sort of platform.

Thanks,
    Gumby.
    Hi
    Is that guy going to slate the whole roof for you or is it just 1 slate?
    Really , tell that guy to get real
    Cc

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭jakko86

Ya sounds like he is pricing to put up scaffolding and if hes not hes lookin for handy money... However out the velux window would be a LITTLE dangerous, Id be lookin for someone else to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

You should always get more than one quote. For a fix like that it will probably cost the same for one slate as it would for say 10. You are probably looking at the hire of a high lift, to use with roof ladders, etc., all in without complications €150 to €180 but that's just a guess as I haven't seen the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

ccsolar wrote: »
    Hi
    Is that guy going to slate the whole roof for you or is it just 1 slate?
    Really , tell that guy to get real
    Cc

What planet are you on? Slate the whole roof for €300.00

How much would you do it for?

I second this! ^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

SC024 wrote: »
    What planet are you on? Slate the whole roof for €300.00

How much would you do it for?

he's clearly joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Hi all,

Thanks,
    Gumby.

Is the only problem a broken slate? Is there more work to be done? get another quote to see if its in the same ball park. I would say that 300 is too much just to replace one slate. A friend had a roof with more problems than you fixed recently and it cost him a lot less than that.

it really depends on what is involved. €300 could well be very reasonable we don't know. Lets play devils advocate for a moment

How does a man get up on the roof? veluxz window is a no no

Ladder? Then on slate roof which can be very slippy. If someone falls what then?

Correct way to do it is to erect a scaffold probably an Alloy tower 8x4

so assuming we go that road, this person has to hire a scaffold for a day + delivery/collection which costs money. There not cheap.

Then add on labor for 2 men as 1 will not be able to build the tower alone.

At that i dare say €300.00 is reasonable enoguh but nonetheless i would get another 1 or 2 prices.

Any tradesman involved in roofing will have a supply of his own scaffolding so id imagine a full day for two men is being very generous to fix one slate. Fixing the slate will take 15 mins max.

jakko86 wrote: »
    Any tradesman involved in roofing will have a supply of his own scaffolding so id imagine a full day for two men is being very generous to fix one slate. Fixing the slate will take 15 mins max.

Fair enough but that scaffold still has to be paid for & maintained

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Gumbyman2000

Hi guys,

Thanks a mill for the advice here. I am going to get another quote. BTW if anyone here is interested please PM me. The house is in D6.

Thanks again,
    Gumby.

Advertisement