Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crime rates

Options
  • 26-10-2012 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Sorry for such a negative post but is it just me or is crime increasing rapidly in Nth Kildare? I'm based in Celbridge and know quite a few people in the neighbouring towns (Leixlip/Maynooth/Clane/Kilcock) and they are always on about break-ins, car robbing, anti social behaviour etc. I have the feeling this part of Kildare, (or perhaps the whole county?) has become a bit of an easy touch for crims as they know that we have significantly lower levels of policing than elsewhere.

We're taking a stand in my estate and talks are underway to re-group the neighbourhood watch. We're thinking of actually patrolling the streets of our estate (when possible) at night time. We haven't ironed out all the creases yet ie:rota/times for patrolling etc but people are fed up and the determination is there.

Politicians have dangled the carrot of 'We're determined to get extra Gardai for Nth Kildare' and failed to produce results year after year. There's no chance of that happening now due to cuts so we feel it's time to look out for ourselves. Has anyone else got an active, effective neighbourhood watch scheme in place. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I'd be very interested to know what steps you can take while patrolling!

What if you come across anti social behavior or a crime in progress?

I live in the area, and know how bad it can be

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Its not that less crimes are reported the crime figures are tweaked a little just to make it look like that the Justice Minister, Gardai and overall government are doing a good job of tackling crime. Crime is at an all time high especially around the North Kildare region due to it's proximity to Dublin. Underfunded police force doesn't help either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Well, initially our thoughts are that if we have a visible presence it might deter some crims. If we see someone in the act we wont challenge them or confront them but we will try to take a photo and call the cops. It might not put off somebody who is extremely determined but we're hoping it will certainly dissuade the majority of chancers from having a go. This is still just an idea, we've yet to step outside our front doors. When it comes to having bodies on the street it might not be as popular as those currently expressing an interest. But the current situation is simply unacceptable, something has to give.

• Advertisement
Advertisement