Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drivers routinely breaking red lights --- going through green man

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

There has been an increase in both IMO. As both a motorist and a pedestrian I have seen an increase in cars breaking red lights. Last Thursday I actually tweeted that on my drive home I had seen 5 vehicles break lights so red the pedestrian light was already amber. Unbelievably dangerous and stupid.

However, jaywalking pedestrians are unbelievable these days. At pretty much every flashpoint listed in this thread where cars run lights, pedestrians routinely take red to mean green so it's a vicious circle.

My "favourites" are the idiots who think buggies have a magic traffic stopping power and push them out into traffic as they start to jaywalk. Never any Gardai around when you see these people endanger the lives of their babies and others all to save a few seconds til the light changes.

There is actually a fine listed in one of the road traffic acts for people who cross within 100m of a pedestrian crossing or on a red pedestrian light...I think it's around €90 but I've never heard of it being applied. Rudi Giuliani used it to almost totally wipe out jaywalking in New York when he was mayor. They also have red light cameras in America. Bringing in both could be massive short term revenue sources, but would ultimately make the streets safer for all users.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Because the govt. need ANOTHER source of revenue from us.

tbh, I don't care if the govt gets income from fining people who break the rules of the road. It's a win-win situation as far as I'm concerned. Better from them than out of my pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It seems to me that a lot of drivers regard stopping at red lights as optional. They just cruise right on through and I'm not taking about the amber going to red. These are red lights were the lights in the other direction have turned green and it's two or three cars going through. I think cameras on all traffic lights linking up to a monitoring system where fines can be issued is the only way to solve it. Eventually the revenue stream will dry up but the roads will be safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

The other day I saw 3 cars stopped at a red light, coming out of a housing estate onto a fairly major road. During a break in traffic all 3 of them went through the red light onto the main road! I couldn't believe it, especially all 3 of them deciding to completely disregard the lights. The feckin nerve of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I'm convinced I'm going to get hit by a bike courier one day

Got a fright as one zipped past me on O'Connell Bridge yesterday

Green man on for a good while
    Yeah I wasn't watching left as I was halfway across the road with my green man but I wasn't expecting some dreadlocked lunatic to whizz by me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

Was waiting at a pedestrian light near Pearse St garda station this morning. Three cyclists broke their own red light and mounted the footpath where the pedestrians were waiting and continued cycling on the footpath. Three garda traffic corps cars were at the lights and none took action. Says it all really.

Advertisement