Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord or Tenant Liability

Options
  • 26-10-2012 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

If an appliance 'breaks' in a rented property, who should replace it ? Landlord or tenant ? The handle snapped off the freezer preventing it from staying closed and tenant wants me (landlord) to replace it.

Whats the usual resolution here ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Anytime I've rented it would be the landlord who would replace/fix something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 fowlersleftpeg

Thats what I thought Stheno. I have already replaced chest freezer and now possibly need to replace fridge freezer if freezer door wont close. Just wondering if there is any mis-use at play here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Things break by themselves in my apartment all the time.
    They allways break themselves or they were touched normally but just broke.
    Usually very difficult to prove someone broke something.
    I just spent 250 euros on window handles and hinges that "went out of shape themselves"
    Can be frustrating but comes with the territory i guess

Yeah guess I just need to accept the inevitable that comes with having tenants in a property !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yeah guess I just need to accept the inevitable that comes with having tenants in a property !

Can you not just get a new handle/have the existing one repaired?

• Advertisement

Its one of those drawer freezers inside the fridge. Might be able to replace the door

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Go to one of the WEEE recycling places- you never know, they may have the exact door you need. If its only the door handle thats gone (even if its stopping the fridge from closing), it sounds a bit crazy to have to replace the whole unit.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Would they be likely to help you in the WEEE place like that? I never knew it would be open to the public, and they would sell the stuff.
    I always thought it was recycled back to the manufactures or something..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Lenny wrote: »
    Would they be likely to help you in the WEEE place like that? I never knew it would be open to the public, and they would sell the stuff.
    I always thought it was recycled back to the manufactures or something..

They gave me a new door for my washing machine, no questions asked- 'there you go, bud.......'

You could also try Powercity/DID etc- they have a small mountain of stuff returned to them weekly

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

smccarrick wrote: »
    They gave me a new door for my washing machine, no questions asked- 'there you go, bud.......'

You could also try Powercity/DID etc- they have a small mountain of stuff returned to them weekly
    that can be handy to know if something breaks off the over or something! cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its one of those drawer freezers inside the fridge.
    But they have a chest freezer? Those ice boxes are not fit for use as freezers. I'd tell them to stop using it.

You need to pay for wear and tear, they need to pay for abuse. The door on an ice box can easily break for wear and tear - and hte handle on washing machine doors.

Advertisement