Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Coffee Shops

Options
  • 26-10-2012 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

As Galway is well known for its relaxed vibe and all, what is your favourite coffee shop and why.

I have two

The first one is Renzo on Eyre street. It is one of the best coffees in town and has nice friendly staff. So any time I am in town chances are I'll be in there.

The other has to be Barbarista in Wellpark. This is for when I am not going as far as town and just want a nice relaxing coffee. Again, great coffee and lovely staff. The only problem is that there is no free WiFi provided by them, but you can pick up the free WiFi from the G hotel.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I don't do coffee shops but if I did..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Renzo is a lovely little cafe. their lunches are great and their coffee is lovely - strong stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

For food I really like that Orange Cafe, lovely panninis and the like. Coffee, tbh I think they're nearly all good. One of the best things about Galway actually. The day we see a Starbucks will be a sad sight (I know there's one in the college >_>).

+1 for Barbarista. Great coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jewelstar

Dockside Cafe (I think its called, formerly Arabica) does a good coffee.

The Renzo place mentioned. It does take-away as well? Any idea what time they are open at. I wouldn't mind trying it but usually in work for around 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Il Viccilo (spelling, schmelling ... where Luna used to be)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Dylan's, the son of a bitch. Decent coffee and a great rooftop seating area.

And because some damn fool accused them of being the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Il Viccilo (spelling, schmelling ... where Luna used to be)
    Vicolo.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

there's a new tea house down from Massimos on William St but she does good coffee as well as an array of taes!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I am back in love with Arabica in Salthil. It went through a definite slump but it seems be out the other end now. The staff are lovely and friendly,the teapots are bigger and the food is nicer. The lemon meringue pie is to die for!

Strangely the thing that has ruined several favourite coffee shop haunts for me is their magnetic attraction for gangs of very loud cackling,gaggling women.There are times the noise level reaches near ear bleeding decibel. Im not sure whether it compres to a primary school class when the teacher has left or feeding time at a seal enclosure. Arabica can suffer from this sometimes but I've managed to get there at nice quiet times mostly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

I am back in love with Arabica in Salthil. It went through a definite slump but it seems be out the other end now. The staff are lovely and friendly,the teapots are bigger and the food is nicer. The lemon meringue pie is to die for!

Strangely the thing that has ruined several favourite coffee shop haunts for me is their magnetic attraction for gangs of very loud cackling,gaggling women.There are times the noise level reaches near ear bleeding decibel. Im not sure whether it compres to a primary school class when the teacher has left or feeding time at a seal enclosure. Arabica can suffer from this sometimes but I've managed to get there at nice quiet times mostly.
    You've got to be kidding right,Arabica probably the most sterile coffee shop after the one in the hospital.
    The staff are moody at best,prices are exorbitant for the standard of food and coffee,the place is crammed with the ladies who lunch crowd.
    There is zero atmosphere in the place and it is packed with screaming kids not unlike a crèche with below average coffee it's that bitter coffee,the same crap they serve it in coco as well.

Sappa wrote: »
    You've got to be kidding right,Arabica probably the most sterile coffee shop after the one in the hospital.
    The staff are moody at best,prices are exorbitant for the standard of food and coffee,the place is crammed with the ladies who lunch crowd.
    There is zero atmosphere in the place and it is packed with screaming kids not unlike a crèche with below average coffee it's that bitter coffee,the same crap they serve it in coco as well.

Nope not kidding,I used to hate the place but in recent weeks have found it much nicer,the non Irish staff are absolutely lovely ( sorry Irish staff!). I'll admit I've only been there weekday mornings and haven't had to contend with the ladies who lunch so far:)
    Try the lemon meringue pie! Then talk to me:)
    I didn't like cocco at all btw.Fabulous location ,nice interior but zero identity and the food was well below par. Why is it so hard to get such simple things right I wonder.

went into Revive today for a bite, coffee was superb, lovely and strong. The sandwich was great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Nope not kidding,I used to hate the place but in recent weeks have found it much nicer,the non Irish staff are absolutely lovely ( sorry Irish staff!). I'll admit I've only been there weekday mornings and haven't had to contend with the ladies who lunch so far:)
    Try the lemon meringue pie! Then talk to me:)
    I didn't like cocco at all btw.Fabulous location ,nice interior but zero identity and the food was well below par. Why is it so hard to get such simple things right I wonder.
    You obviously work in Arabica Salthill,didn't mean to offend you but I find the place worse than a school canteen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Absolutely love the Jungle Cafe, and also, a new place close to there, Alchemy, which has just opened recently I think, does a lovely coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Personally, I love Mocha Beans on lower Cross Street. Lovely staff, small shop but usually quiet enough with lovely/cheap coffee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I as there a few months ago after a prom walk with the ex, we went in sat down and ordered lunch, the cafe itself is fine, the coffe is nice enough but the food was almost inedible. I ordered a panini and soup.

The Panini was cooked at far too high a heat for far too short a time so the outside of the bread was charred and almost burnt but the bread itself was still almost raw and doughy and the filling was still cold.

The soup was DISGUSTING, on the menu it just said "soup of the day". I asked what it was and was told "green veggies and bacon" or something similar. What I got was like a bowl on unseasoned blended spinash and dry bacon, it was just a horrible dark green gloop with teeny tiny bits of hard meat floating through it, I had half the panini and about 4 spoons of the soup and couldnt finish the rest, complained about it and was just met with "nobody else has complained, sorry". ****ers.

Sappa wrote: »
    You obviously work in Arabica Salthill,didn't mean to offend you but I find the place worse than a school canteen.

I don't. I'd be worried about being lynched after saying that about the Irish staff if I did. :) It's just my experience, I'm not saying it's gospel.
    went into Revive today for a bite, coffee was superb, lovely and strong. The sandwich was great too.

Forgot this place existed. SO glad you reminded me. That's my coffee place sorted for this week.
    Absolutely love the Jungle Cafe, and also, a new place close to there, Alchemy, which has just opened recently I think, does a lovely coffee.

That place looks fantastic on fb. Also going to check that out.Never even heard of it before.
    Seaneh wrote: »
    I as there a few months ago after a prom walk with the ex, we went in sat down and ordered lunch, the cafe itself is fine, the coffe is nice enough but the food was almost inedible. I ordered a panini and soup.

The Panini was cooked at far too high a heat for far too short a time so the outside of the bread was charred and almost burnt but the bread itself was still almost raw and doughy and the filling was still cold.

The soup was DISGUSTING, on the menu it just said "soup of the day". I asked what it was and was told "green veggies and bacon" or something similar. What I got was like a bowl on unseasoned blended spinash and dry bacon, it was just a horrible dark green gloop with teeny tiny bits of hard meat floating through it, I had half the panini and about 4 spoons of the soup and couldnt finish the rest, complained about it and was just met with "nobody else has complained, sorry". ****ers.

I hated Arabica a few months ago and I've only eaten one savoury thing there and it was genuinely nice. The other stuff on the menu just wouldn't appeal to my tummy or my wallet. I stick to the desserts and breads mostly. As I saw I couldn't say the final word on Arabica, only that my experience was good so far. :)

Great thread. I've got some ideas already from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

I am back in love with Arabica in Salthil. It went through a definite slump but it seems be out the other end now. The staff are lovely and friendly,the teapots are bigger and the food is nicer.

I used to frequent Arabica a lot but I had to stop. The service in there maddens me. They are always disorganised and slow. Someone needs to shake the manager and tell him/her to open his/her eyes. It is a perfect location and could be a goldmine (maybe it already is). The staff are friendly but useless. Partly because there is no 'system' in place and they dont know their roles at any particular time.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mollie Breathna

• Used to go into Arabica a lot in Salthill but it really is too expensive particularly for the quality of both coffee and food. Staff are lovely, location is great but food, drink and prices not great. Quite like the ladies-what-lunch vibe but to be avoided when they ditch the pals and bring the kids.
    • Coco in Salthill is grand for a takeaway coffee but much the same applies as per Arabica. BTW: Americano, Coco Salthill - €2. Coco Eyre St - €1.60
    • Il Vicolo has probably the best coffee in town but not easy turning around in there - you sort of have to reverse out.

That's my tuppence-ha'penny's worth.

• Advertisement

Red Pepper wrote: »
    I used to frequent Arabica a lot but I had to stop. The service in there maddens me. They are always disorganised and slow. Someone needs to shake the manager and tell him/her to open his/her eyes. It is a perfect location and could be a goldmine (maybe it already is). The staff are friendly but useless. Partly because there is no 'system' in place and they dont know their roles at any particular time.

Have to say I used to avoid it on the same basis but lately I've noticed a big difference. I never have more than 20mins to 30 mins on weekdays and I find I'm served faster there than anywhere else which is one of the reasons I've been going.

I will stop trying to do my bit for arabica now and shut up . :)

Anyone know if the hotels in Salthil are ok with you going in just for coffee on weekdays btw? Whats the Salthil hotel like?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

No love for petit delice on main guard St? Coffee is grand, treats are awesome...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

lampsie wrote: »
    No love for petit delice on main guard St? Coffee is grand, treats are awesome...
    Yep they have the worlds greatest lemon meringue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

That place looks fantastic on fb. Also going to check that out.Never even heard of it before.

Let me know what you think. The hot chocolate is absolutely ludicrously good haha. They also have this strange cheese bread which is gluten free, awesome pastries.

Anyone know if the hotels in Salthil are ok with you going in just for coffee on weekdays btw? Whats the Salthil hotel like?

Its no different than if you were to go into a hotel bar and order a pint, you would be hard pushed to find a hotel that would object to your custom.

The Salthill hotel are grand, lovely spot for dinner, been there dozens of times over the last few years on family occasions and we keep going back. Can't recommend it enough for food

As for their coffee, meh, its regular coffee, nothing special

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

<read the charter about anti recommendations, moderator>

I like Le Petit Delice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Java's Hot Chocolate with Baileys= yum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Yardleys Lavender

What I find maddening about coffee shops is that too few of them now don't seem to be under control of an actual, tangible manager. I get the feeling going into some of them that the workers, no matter how good they are, are without leadership and guidance.

Mocha Beans in Salthill was my favourite for years but it generally got a bit scattered when they had some kind of change over. Roscos in Eglington Street is a nice place to go as it's clean, the service is good, the sandwiches are sandwiches and the beverages are just machine generated hot drinks but it's really hard to get the whole package now.

I feel as though the staff aren't trained to used a coffee machine, that the basic skill of making an espresso with out burning the coffee is not taught never mind how to steam milk correctly. I am still ordering milk based drinks in this town followed closely with the phrase "Please don't boil the milk" and may I have a glass of water also. In New Zealand, a barista is a trade like chef is a trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

+1 for Renzo and Insomnia for the best coffee in Galway. That's for just a straight Americano. Thanks for the earlier posts

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I like cafe express in the square where abrakebabra used to be, i go in at least once a week have eaten there a few times too. Coffee price is good and food all freshly made up.. Service good too. I went in one week ordered my coffee, went in exactly a week later and the girl asked if i wanted the same coffee!.

Advertisement