Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Coffee Shops

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 sarah42012

Orange Cafe by Charlie Byrns is handy for food, really good value.

I go to Dylans on Thursdays/Fridays before lunchtime when its quiet, I love the little nook they have by the window upstairs. Great place to read!

I like small little coffee shops. Also, could anyone recommend a place that serves fresh pastries?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

sarah42012 wrote: »
    Orange Cafe by Charlie Byrns is handy for food, really good value.

I go to Dylans on Thursdays/Fridays before lunchtime when its quiet, I love the little nook they have by the window upstairs. Great place to read!

I like small little coffee shops. Also, could anyone recommend a place that serves fresh pastries?
    Le Petit Delice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

could anyone recommend a place that serves fresh pastries?

Giffiths Bakery, Gourmet tart, and Le Petite Delice.

Griffiths, of course!
    Love the little nooks in that place!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Seaneh wrote: »
    Griffins, but find them more expensive than most for almost everything in there.

• Advertisement

I think it's grand. but yeah. it's not cheap. Their breads are great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Does anywhere serve chocolate eclairs as they used to be?With a hard shell of chocolate on top and pastry that isn't soggy and defrosted ?I'm craving one for ages but only come across the french bakery or tesco style ones that have a softer chocolate paste/icing rather than actual chocolate.

Does anywhere serve chocolate eclairs as they used to be?With a hard shell of chocolate on top and pastry that isn't soggy and defrosted ?I'm craving one for ages but only come across the french bakery or tesco style ones that have a softer chocolate paste/icing rather than actual chocolate.

Griffins or the oven door on middle streey.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

o'heirs bakery westside and dunnes headford rd sc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Dylan's, the son of a bitch. Decent coffee and a great rooftop seating area.

And because some damn fool accused them of being the best.

This is a lovely spot, the roof terrace is great place for a coffee on (rare) sunny day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Daisy78 wrote: »
    This is a lovely spot, the roof terrace is great place for a coffee on (rare) sunny day.

I never knew they had a rooftop area, interesting......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

My vote is for Jungle Cafe, I have only had coffee there but it was very good. I must try the cake and stuff at some point.

Gourmet Tart in Salt hill is great too but havent been there in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Oliver_Ahern

Anywhere but Gourmet Tart. Surely this has been posted before, but they have to be up there with the most pretentious in Galway. Everything is overpriced, the cafe/restaurant in Salthill is sterile and unwelcoming, and (some of)the staff are rude and unfriendly.

Also, am I the only one who thinks their standards have slipped? They used to do a decent selection of 'different' sandwiches that I'd buy in university, now they have only a few to choose from with pretty basic ingredients and the prices are still high compared to other places.

Griffins & Mortons are better bakeries and Dylans is a much better coffee shop IMO.

Anywhere but Gourmet Tart. Surely this has been posted before, but they have to be up there with the most pretentious in Galway. Everything is overpriced, the cafe/restaurant in Salthill is sterile and unwelcoming, and (some of)the staff are rude and unfriendly.

Also, am I the only one who thinks their standards have slipped? They used to do a decent selection of 'different' sandwiches that I'd buy in university, now they have only a few to choose from with pretty basic ingredients and the prices are still high compared to other places.

Griffins & Mortons are better bakeries and Dylans is a much better coffee shop IMO.

The person I replied to asked about fresh pastries, I told them were to get fresh pastries. Gorumet Tart still has some of the best fresh pastries in town, especially their mini tarts.

Sorry, I'm not having a go or anything, just venting my frustrations of a recent experience there. They might be nice tarts I agree, but they are pretty expensive and you pay for good customer service too

Sorry, I'm not having a go or anything, just venting my frustrations of a recent experience there. They might be nice tarts I agree, but they are pretty expensive and you pay for good customer service too

I dunno, it's 2 quid for a mini tart if I'm not going senile?

That's not too bad compared to the other bakeries in town. I've never had a bad experience of service in there, I've always found the girls really friendly to be honest but I've never bought sambos and the like there so you'd have more experience than me there.

I'm just obsessed with their pear and almond and chocolate tarts to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

yer man! wrote: »
    I never knew they had a rooftop area, interesting......

I have a feeling that it doubles as the smoking area for a certain connected nightclub. Quite a cunning move on their part, expanding the empire into a totally different demographic, but being able to share some real-estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

I think that(not certain) Le petit Delice supply Mortons with their fancy cake slices.

I dunno, it's 2 quid for a mini tart if I'm not going senile?

That's not too bad compared to the other bakeries in town. I've never had a bad experience of service in there, I've always found the girls really friendly to be honest but I've never bought sambos and the like there so you'd have more experience than me there.

I'm just obsessed with their pear and almond and chocolate tarts to be honest!

Fair enough. Each to their own I suppose. We all have our favourite places and perhaps I was being a little harsh earlier. Maybe shouldn't let one experience influence my whole judgement as like I said before I did used to like their sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I forgot to mention earlier how much I love the new McCambridges Cafe/Restaurant. Was in there for Coffee and a sandwich a week or two ago for lunch and it was brilliant. My only complaint is that they keep all their deserts and cakes in the centre of everything and they look so good that you have to get something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Absolutely love the Jungle Cafe, and also, a new place close to there, Alchemy, which has just opened recently I think, does a lovely coffee.

just noticed a 'for lease' sign in the window of Alchemy, is it gone already?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

jkforde wrote: »
    just noticed a 'for lease' sign in the window of Alchemy, is it gone already?

Yup, went a week or two ago.

Bit of a strange concept, "Wine Cafe" .. more of a cafe (based on food and opening hours) but with the costs of alcohol service.

If I was opening a cafe in Forster St, I'd open in early March, make sure I had signage that was at 90-degrees to the building and so visible to people walking up/down the street, and make sure I offered fast service and nice food that was easily take-away-able. I'd also sell newspapers / magazines / other things that people going to the coach station want.

Apparently Dylans has closed down? Can anyone shed some light on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭12thofthe12th

Apparently Dylans has closed down? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Ya, It is closed according to their facebook status.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

As no way. Loved that place :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Loved that place, made some awesome coffee and sandwiches (they were arguably nicer than McCambridges I thought).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

It's unfortunate when you see businesses closing down in Galway these days, but it doesn't surprise me when a coffee shop closes. There are far too many coffee shops for a city of this size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

It's unfortunate when you see businesses closing down in Galway these days, but it doesn't surprise me when a coffee shop closes. There are far too many coffee shops for a city of this size.

True, but there's only a handful of really good ones and Dylan's was one of those so its sad to see it go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

All Galway really needed was a bigger Bananaphoblacht. It's just not the same without being able to head there at 2am for a cuppa with garlic bread with cheese, all served by surly-yet-very-efficient-and-rather-cute staff. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement