Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reusing old components

Options
  • 26-10-2012 12:39pm

I have an old Medion PC from lidl that I want to replace.

I intend using it for programming and will probably be installing some flavor of linux on it.

I upgraded (and massively overspecced) the PSU when I put a new graphics card in it a few years ago.

I'm sussing out whether it's worth reusing old components
    I intend to buy a new mother board, CPU and memory (probably 16gig).

I have a case, cd drive and hard drives as well as graphics card and PSU.

Is it worth reusing old components in this way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

It really depends on what the components are, the best way to know is if you post up details about the individual components here so that we know if they will be suitable to carry over to a new machine.

CD drive can be re-used anyway and if your happy with the capacity of the HDD then it can be kept too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

not necessarly because if the dc drive and the hard drive are ide rather than sata then they'll be uselss too since newer motherboards don't support ide anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

not necessarly because if the dc drive and the hard drive are ide rather than sata then they'll be uselss too since newer motherboards don't support ide anymore

You can get adapters for SATA to IDE.. I have an old IDE HDD running off a sata port on the mobo via an adapter that cost 8 euro on eBay.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Shouldn't be a problem especially if the PSU is working fine with the GPU already (I'd like details on the unit if you were upgrading).

Aside from the possibility that the HDD is IDE (which is not a huge problem as mentioned above), if it is quite old it will be much slower than a modern HDD, and of course a semi new build is a great opportunity to stick an SSD in there :pac:.

Advertisement