Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

joexxx

• 26-10-2012 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10

Can anyone tell me what speed is needed for the slow-ride during a motorbike driving test.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

jsmith wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what speed is needed for the slow-ride during a motorbike driving test.
    Walking pace. The examiner walked beside me for about 5m. That was 9 years ago though I doubt much has changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I think the distance you have to do it for varys slightly depending o nthe instructor.

I done my test a few months ago and i had to drive at walking pace for about 20 seconds.

Its all about clutch control. Just practice it a good bit before the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 jsmith

Idleater wrote: »
    Walking pace. The examiner walked beside me for about 5m. That was 9 years ago though I doubt much has changed.

Thanks for that, but how fast does the tester walk eg K,P,H.I am reasonably OK at about 10K,P,H. but I find I wobble at very low speed. And how much of a wobble will they allow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Thanks for that, but how fast does the tester walk eg K,P,H.I am reasonably OK at about 10K,P,H. but I find I wobble at very low speed. And how much of a wobble will they allow?

Its not so much of the wobble that will fail you on it, you just cant put a foot down. But obviously dont wobble all over the road, lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

its a control test, so the slower you go the more control you're demonstrating you have

10kph sounds a bit fast, but if anything like my speedo, its probably wildly inaccurate for speeds under 20kph. Get someone to walk alongside, to get an idea of how fast you should be going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It'll be less than 10km/h. Slow the bike with the back brake and slip the clutch to go slower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

The idle speed of the bike was sufficent for me....I just slipped the clutch every now and again to slow to his pace did not need the back brake. If your bikes idle is not high enough then by all means ride the back brake with higher revs to stay at the correct speed. It is quite a slow walk as its meant to demonstrate you ability to control the machine at slow speeds as was said by OP.

Good luck with the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

as above but its not a definite speed in kph, if you keep looking down watching your speedo you will wobble, get your head up looking straight ahead, slip the clutch and give a bit of revs, slow down using engine braking and rear brake, try it outside ur house or a safe road somewhere try to not go faster than walking speed. if its hard at first keep doing it till the you can easily drop the speed and not wobble..

oh and as wonda says good luck in the test...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Its all about balance.

The instructor wants to see that you can control the bike safely at such a slow speed

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how I get on with the test (I hope)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

I did my test in May on a Ninja 250. The slow-ride part was slightly downhill and I was actually much slower then the instructor.

I wouldn't worry about it...

Make sure you can nail the "U-Turn" in a narrow space,because if you dont get this right,then theres a good chance you will fail,for lack of control.

Dont forget to use your mirror and indicator when doing the U-Turn.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Make sure you can nail the "U-Turn" in a narrow space,because if you dont get this right,then theres a good chance you will fail,for lack of control.

Dont forget to use your mirror and indicator when doing the U-Turn.

Yeah, but if you find it hard to do on your bike (long wheelbase, for example), you can put your foot down once or twice if there's no other way...or in bad weather, road conditions, etc. You're better off putting your foot down than wobbling all over the place.

See here: http://www.motorbiketraining.net/pdfs/PRE%20TEST%202010.pdf

rat_race wrote: »
    Yeah, but if you find it hard to do on your bike (long wheelbase, for example), you can put your foot down once or twice if there's no other way...or in bad weather, road conditions, etc. You're better off putting your foot down than wobbling all over the place.

See here: http://www.motorbiketraining.net/pdfs/PRE%20TEST%202010.pdf

A u-turn is a simple thing to do (balance and co-ordination),and you shouldnt have to put your foot down in the 1st place.

paddy147 wrote: »
    A u-turn is a simple thing to do (balance and co-ordination),and you shouldnt have to put your foot down in the 1st place.

That is besides any point to do with the test.

It totally depends on the width of the road. For my test, it was on a hill with a narrow road. I didn't have to, or want to, put my foot down. But if I had a slightly larger bike, or there were 90mph winds, for example, a u-turn in one take would have been impossible/dangerous.

Point is: foot down does not mean a mark. Read the PDF I sent.

But obviously, don't take the easy way out by putting your foot down, if all it would take is some practise.

you may get a point against you for putting the foot down, but from memory of the pre test its the examiners discretion, and they take into account the conditions etc.

Its fairly easy to do but i know from experience that using a school bike and other factors can make it a bit difficult especially if the school bike is different to what you use everyday.

Also the camber of the road if important, as the weight shift of the bike can be a bit tricky, but if you loose your balance put your foot down rather than the bike, but as above practice makes perfect, i know in the ennis test its the small road just off the roundabout near the maxol garage, down a few hundred meters where there is a slight hill over a stream, its narrow and on a hill and has a decent bit of camber, then there is the gravel on both sides of the road. do like i did, day before the test do it 20 times till you are confident and it will be no problem..

a good trick is not to look at the bike keep your head up looking the way you want to go, control you speed with the clutch, keep a decent amount of revs and slip the clutch when you want to accelerate..

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how I get on with the test (I hope)

Good news I passed, Thankx for all your help

Good news I passed, Thankx for all your help

Well done!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Congrats mate....get the cert in straight away and get the time ticking away. Hopefully the restriction laws will be good to us in the new year.....

well done, get your licence application in as soon as you can as your 2 years start from the date of submission of the licence application...

• Advertisement

eurofoxy wrote: »
    well done, get your licence application in as soon as you can as your 2 years start from the date of submission of the licence application...
    Will do

Advertisement