Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone in contract- unlock

Options
  • 26-10-2012 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭

Upgraded to a new phone, didn't like it.
    Selling the phone.

Firstly, I assume anyone on the same network as me can use the phone....?
    Secondly, if that person wanted to use it on a different network, how would they go about unlocking it. Would they have issues with that?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Liamario wrote: »
    Upgraded to a new phone, didn't like it.
    Selling the phone.

Firstly, I assume anyone on the same network as me can use the phone....?
    Secondly, if that person wanted to use it on a different network, how would they go about unlocking it. Would they have issues with that?

I think it depends on your network. Some wont unlock it while in contract. Some just dont unlock it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

godtabh wrote: »
    I think it depends on your network. Some wont unlock it while in contract. Some just dont unlock it

Three, so I assume they will unlock it. From what I read of other similar threads, three will ask you to pay the remainder of the contract up front to unlock it now (which makes very little sense, when I'm in contract with them; what difference does it make to three).
    The phone is being sold as being locked to three, so I haven't been deceptive. I'm more concerned as to what the buyer can do should they decide to change networks with the phone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

That depends very much on the type of phone. For some there's unlocking instructions freely available online. For others there's sites that will send you the unlock code for a small fee, or shops that will do it. For some there's a larger fee, and for a small few there's no way other than through the network.

Xperia S

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Liamario wrote: »
    Three, so I assume they will unlock it. From what I read of other similar threads, three will ask you to pay the remainder of the contract up front to unlock it now (which makes very little sense, when I'm in contract with them; what difference does it make to three).
    The phone is being sold as being locked to three, so I haven't been deceptive. I'm more concerned as to what the buyer can do should they decide to change networks with the phone.

The problem is, that Three will only deal with you, as the original owner. If the person you sell it to wants to get it unlocked later on, they can't.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    The problem is, that Three will only deal with you, as the original owner. If the person you sell it to wants to get it unlocked later on, they can't.

This is what I'm concerned about. I don't want to screw someone over. I know there are shops that unlock phones- I'd love to know how (specifically).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Not saying the OP is going to do this but i've seen a lot of scams where a contract phone is sold as an unwanted upgrade and the original owner then stops paying their monthly bill. A proper unlocked phone might sell easier.

godtabh wrote: »
    Not saying the OP is going to do this but i've seen a lot of scams where a contract phone is sold as an unwanted upgrade and the original owner then stops paying their monthly bill. A proper unlocked phone might sell easier.

I have sold it at a considerable loss. Still in contract. Wasn't planning on moving from three. As I said, I never misrepresented myself to the buyer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Am I missing something here?
    Suppose I buy Liamarios' phone and put my PAYG sim into it - it is now a pre-pay phone.
    I then go to three and ask them to unlock my PAYG phone that is locked to 3.

Liamario is still in contract with 3, how are they to know he sold his phone and is now using a different phone.

Again, sorry if I'm missing something here.

If the phone is unlocked, then they won't need to go to three. If the buyer is with three and later decides that they want to change networks (without unlocking), then there may be complications.
    I don't know if the provider will unlock the phone (even if out of contract).

• Advertisement
Advertisement