Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a TV

Options
  • 26-10-2012 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi, am looking to buy a tv in galway later today, anyone have any suggestions where i should buy? anywhere have a deal on? things i should look out for?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'll sell ya a 26" HD flat screen for €250, and I'll throw in a 160gb ps3, 2 games and a controller for €400.

No offers.

I was going to put them on advets tomorrow :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

If you're on the eastern side of town, try the DID in Briarhill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

If you are on the Western side Peter Murphy's isn't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Start on adverts.ie if you don't mind second hand stuff.
    www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_tv/county-Galway/sortby_best_match-desc/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5299029.htm#tabrev

5 in Galway and looks good in the reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Except that its a UK television, not saorview approved (perhaps compatible but may not cope with future saorview changes)

And the USB connection appears to only play music and pictures when other TV's will play movies

And would ya look at the price of the HDMI lead €32.99, that's way over the usual price of about €10-€15.

Since this is a local forum, why not try local shops first, Cunniffes, Peter Murphys, O'Connors etc

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

buzz11 wrote: »
    Since this is a local forum, why not try local shops first, Cunniffes, Peter Murphys, O'Connors etc

The OP is looking for suggestions of places ... and probably thanks you for that list of places. Any more infornation you can give - recommendations of which is more knowledgeable, gives better service, etc would be welcome I'm sure.

Just out of interest, the last time I priced a piece of electrical equipment, I saw pretty much the same item in

Anto Ryans - E25
    Kavanagh's (name? the one next door to Ryans homestore) - E26
    Cunniffes E55
    Tesco E15

Granted there were brand differences in some cases (Ryans and Cunniffes were the very same item though) - and the Tesco one was their own-brand (thought not the absolute bottom-of-the-range one).

But the price differences were stunning, and will influence the places where I go for prices next time I'm looking for a larger item.

If I was shopping for a "complicated" item like a TV, I probably would go local-ish, just to get the level of advice (eg it's a UK model etc). But not if there was an almost 100% price difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

If you're looking for a second hand/reconditioned one, don't worry about it being English, it will work fine but you will need a Saorviev box to go with it.

Both of mine are English, bought on ebay and both work fine with Saorview boxes, satellite boxes and DVD recorders plugged into them.

You should see the mess of cables behind them tho:).

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

Fungums wrote: »
    Hi, am looking to buy a tv in galway later today, anyone have any suggestions where i should buy? anywhere have a deal on? things i should look out for?

Thanks
    I've a 32inch Ferguson CRT going free to a good home. There's also a corner TV unit and Sony stereo looking for a new home (also free). All in good condition, would prefer to see somebody get some use out of them rather than binning/recycling them.

Photo here: https://docs.google.com/a/hyn.es/file/d/0B-vRHSvwnPdLUmJGTm1ONElRYkE/preview?pli=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Depends on the size you're looking for, and your budget. Generally I find Currys have the best prices on TVs in general by a mile, was buying two lately and both were far cheaper in Currys than any other place. Though a few places do good deals on cheaper sets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement